If Christianity were proven true

6 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Well, turning a crazed son out into the world is what we might do today, we read a lot about them shooting up schools, Walmart, etc.. But God didn't want an out-of-control young man disrupting His people. I suspect the problem would have been more than just disobedience. It describes an unbelieving kid who curses his parents, is stubborn, rebellious, and a drunk.. In the OT,  breaking commandments was punished severely. "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death" (Numbers 15:32-35). But in the New Testament we have Jesus recommending doing as you suggested, as told in The Parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15 11-24) .

Now he's a "crazed son"? Are you intentionally changing the description to justify your scenario?

Even so, a "crazed" son might still come to an end as you suggest, or he might change because of his situation. That is on him, not on any parent that might have turned him in as called for.

15 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Key, please.  The Roman Empire ruled by terror.  Let us not confuse this propaganda piece with reality.

Even taking the story at face value -- imagine a representative of that power, having angst, over an execution.  A standard execution at that.  The crime was being "King of the Jews".  In plain English -- an insurrectionist.  As stated by the sign placed over Jesus' head.

Yes, they did. They also understood when to appease a mob to quell a potential riot without risking resources. Romans were shrewd as well as ruthless.

19 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Again, key...you are debating morality with someone who thinks bear mauling is a good thing for 'little children'...you arent going to get there friend.

Debating morality, or ethical conduct towards humanity? Either way, if something irritates me, I need to scratch it for some relief. If it's something stuck in my craw, I need to spit it out, or suffer indigestion because of it. Makes sense?

It is more for my purview, than for trying to flip another's viewpoint.

2 hours ago, Key said:

Debating morality, or ethical conduct towards humanity? Either way, if something irritates me, I need to scratch it for some relief. If it's something stuck in my craw, I need to spit it out, or suffer indigestion because of it. Makes sense?

You're Human.  It's what we do.    :coffee:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
On 9/28/2019 at 3:46 PM, Key said:

On 9/28/2019 at 6:25 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

You're Human.  It's what we do.    :coffee:

Makes for a nice read, though...  :coffee:

22 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Makes for a nice read, though...  :coffee:

Doesn't it, though? Kinda like tabloids. Can't believe half the stuff written in them, yet one just has to turn the page just one more time to see what else is in there.

In my view, informative as entertaining much of the time. But, that's me. :coffee:

On 9/28/2019 at 8:36 AM, Key said:

Now he's a "crazed son"? Are you intentionally changing the description to justify your scenario?

Even so, a "crazed" son might still come to an end as you suggest, or he might change because of his situation. That is on him, not on any parent that might have turned him in as called for.

I simply used a modern term to summarize the description of the son; "crazed = insane or wildly out of control". . Its not my scenario, its the bibles, so make of it as you will, I'm just saying what I think.

I understand that most liberals don't believe in discipline, but God obviously doesn't agree with Dr Spock.  "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them" (Proverbs 13:24).

9 hours ago, Dan56 said:

I simply used a modern term to summarize the description of the son; "crazed = insane or wildly out of control". . Its not my scenario, its the bibles, so make of it as you will, I'm just saying what I think.

I understand that most liberals don't believe in discipline, but God obviously doesn't agree with Dr Spock.  "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them" (Proverbs 13:24).

Yeah, because everyone who doesn't believe the bible for 100% must be some sort of "liberal" who just lets everything go... sure... :bye:

22 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Yeah, because everyone who doesn't believe the bible for 100% must be some sort of "liberal" who just lets everything go... sure... :bye:

Not everyone, but discipline does seem to evade most liberals, they tend not to see any necessity for it.. That's just another reason why they reject the biblical God. 

55 minutes ago, Dan56 said:
23 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Not everyone, but discipline does seem to evade most liberals, they tend not to see any necessity for it.. That's just another reason why they reject the biblical God. 

You see how words matter...? How even one word can alter the entire meaning (and reception) of any written text... 

But sure, you just keep on believing 100% of the bible is correct and to be taken literally...  :wall:

:bye:

Edited by RevBogovac
3 hours ago, Dan56 said:

First, what do you know about "most liberals"?  Not cultural assumptions.  What do you actually know?

Second, there is a distinction between non-belief and rejection.  A distinction which seems to evade you.

:mellow:

28 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

[...] there is a distinction between non-belief and rejection.  A distinction which seems to evade you.

:mellow:

Dude! It's Dan!!! There is no distinction to him; one either beliefs the bible for 100% or reject it... 

Hi Dan... :bye:

1 minute ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Hmm...to my recollection He did say He wouldn't do it. But said nothing of either man, or nature doing so. So, it's true, He won't let it happen, but apparently "we", that is mankind, will, unless action is taken expediently.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:05 PM, Dan56 said:

You do know they had little understanding of mental illness back then, right? And why the heck are you bringing in Dr. Spock? His thinking wasn't entirely original, either.

Then, you go and make the broad assumption of "liberals" again. Why? How do you understand it's "most"? Show me the study that says it. This feels insulting to me.

I'm fairly liberal minded, and my kids did get a proper spank when they needed it. Thankfully for me, it didn't happen often. Oh, and I wouldn't have a bear or a dog maul them, either, if they mocked me.

20 minutes ago, Key said:

Hmm...to my recollection He did say He wouldn't do it. But said nothing of either man, or nature doing so. So, it's true, He won't let it happen, but apparently "we", that is mankind, will, unless action is taken expediently.

President Trump has been clear.  "Climate change is a hoax."

:huh: