How Einstein Reconciled Religion to Science

RevBogovac

14 hours ago, Dan56 said:

It has nothing to do with belief, the news paper article was an interview which quoted Einstein. You don't need faith, the article is the evidence. This is what I meant when I wrote; "If you don't agree with something, you automatically deny its legitimate"..  I stand by it.

You continue to miss my point.  I will try from a different direction.

Suppose, I had found a magazine article, which quoted you.  In this quotation -- which I'm supposed to believe -- because it's in print -- you are quoted as saying; how much you hate God.  Further, in this quotation -- you say how anybody who believes that God exists, is a fool.

So, I'm looking over this quotation.  I reflect upon your actual beliefs -- and I say to myself -- this is bogus.  Dan would never say such a thing.  It has to be a lie.  This is very much to the point.  You would never say such a thing.  If I saw such a statement, attributed to you -- I would know that it was a lie.

In like manner, I look at this quotation, which is attributed to Einstein.  Based on what I know of Einstein, it is absurd and ludicrous.  Einstein would never say that.  This is not about my beliefs.  It is not about your beliefs.  It's not about liking or not liking the quotation.  Einstein would never say that.

Before I forget --  :bye:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

On 6/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, Dan56 said:

No personal attack imo? Although "Your quotation stinks of fraud" seems tantamount to calling me a liar.. I apply the same standards to myself as I do Jonathan, I am narrow minded in what I believe and I  reject everything I don't agree with. Everyone automatically rejects what they don't believe is legitimate. Nothing new here, just individuals denying what the other considers true. 

No. He stated the quotation is a lie, not that you are a liar, unless it's quoting you, which it wasn't.

5 hours ago, Key said:

No. He stated the quotation is a lie, not that you are a liar, unless it's quoting you, which it wasn't.

Semantics? I construed it to mean that I intentionally put up a quotation that I knew was fraudulent...  To me, "your quotation" insinuated that it was something I had made up and attributed to Einstein. 

That's why I went out of my way to show that it was a quote that was all over the internet.  I wanted to show that I didn't just pull it out of thin air..  Three post up from this entry, Jonathan still insist that;

Einstein would never say that... So in that sense, it doesn't seem he agrees that its an accurate quote? Sorry if I misinterpreted it,  but that's my take on it. 

3 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Semantics? I construed it to mean that I intentionally put up a quotation that I knew was fraudulent...  To me, "your quotation" insinuated that it was something I had made up and attributed to Einstein. 

That's why I went out of my way to show that it was a quote that was all over the internet.  I wanted to show that I didn't just pull it out of thin air..  Three post up from this entry, Jonathan still insist that;

Einstein would never say that... So in that sense, it doesn't seem he agrees that its an accurate quote? Sorry if I misinterpreted it,  but that's my take on it. 

:sigh2:

No.  I do not believe that you lied.  No.  I do not believe that you knowingly made an untrue statement.  Yes, I accept that you understand this quote to be true.

The quote itself is clearly a lie.  Not your lie.  Someone else's lie.  Yes, I'm sure that it's all over the internet.  Bovine excrement has a way of travelling quickly.  Bovine excrement is all over the web and displayed prominently in many places.  That does not make it true.

Albert Einstein would never make that outlandish, ludicrous statement.  It goes to core personality and basic understanding.

As to your take.......  You still think that you understand me.  No.  You don't.  If you could make an effort to understand a point of view -- other than your own -- it would help.  Since you insist that everyone who does not agree with you, is wrong -- I don't hold out any hope.  

Are we done with this?

:sigh2:

:bye:

5 hours ago, Dan56 said:

You can't possibly know that.. It may be your opinion, but certainly not a statement of fact.

Since when have you -- man of mighty faith -- cared about facts?  I believe the quote is a lie.  By your rules, that should be enough.

Now, you expect me to be an Agnostic?    :birgits_giggle:   :lol:   :rofl:

4 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Since when have you -- man of mighty faith -- cared about facts?  I believe the quote is a lie.  By your rules, that should be enough.

Now, you expect me to be an Agnostic?

It does seem a tad hypocritical ...  You've  always contended that Moses was fiction, Jesus didn't exist, etc... Always demanding proof, where's the evidence? Now the shoe is on the other foot, and your the one with nothing but faith to fall back on. Now its you who dismisses something you disagree with despite evidence to the contrary. Its not me that doesn't care about the facts, its you who denies a direct quote from a news paper article that Einstein himself never denied saying.

Maybe you can relate to people of faith now? You have complete confidence that the Einstein quote is a lie, simply because you don't agree with it. You've put your Agnostic attitude on a shelf and have gone with your gut feeling, evidence be damned.

Edited by Dan56

16 minutes ago, Dan56 said:

It does seem a tad hypocritical ...  You've  always contended that Moses was fiction, Jesus didn't exist, etc... Always demanding proof, where's the evidence? Now the shoe is on the other foot, and your the one with nothing but faith to fall back on. Now its you who dismisses something you disagree with despite evidence to the contrary. Its not me that doesn't care about the facts, its you who denies a direct quote from a news paper article that Einstein himself never denied saying.

Maybe you can relate to people of faith now? You have complete confidence that the Einstein quote is a lie, simply because you don't agree with it. You've put your Agnostic attitude on a shelf and have gone with your gut feeling, evidence be damned.

You don't understand sarcasm.   :sigh2:

On 6/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, Dan56 said:

I wonder...might it be that Einstein, himself, had never seen said article, nor was ever asked about the quote? One can not affirm what one does not know exists.

4 hours ago, Key said:

I wonder...might it be that Einstein, himself, had never seen said article, nor was ever asked about the quote? One can not affirm what one does not know exists.

Aside from the newspaper article, which Dan quotes -- all the other sites listed are Christian propaganda sites.

Much like the propagandists who wrote the Bible -- I find their deep concern for objective truth, to be lacking.  That's me being nice.

:whist:

10 hours ago, Key said:

No doubt,  Einstein wasn't too bright, so perhaps he was oblivious to what the paper quoted him as saying? After all, it was printed in 1929 and Einstein died in 1955, so he probably didn't have time to correct the misquote?  (Hows that for sarcasm Jonathan)  :bye:

What's really got me curious is why you guys have gotten so upset by the quote in the first place? He pretty much manages to compliment Christians while simultaneously referring to the gospel as a myth.. A compliment and insult in the same sentence, that's genius . 

2 hours ago, Dan56 said:

No doubt,  Einstein wasn't too bright, so perhaps he was oblivious to what the paper quoted him as saying? After all, it was printed in 1929 and Einstein died in 1955, so he probably didn't have time to correct the misquote?  (Hows that for sarcasm Jonathan)  :bye:

What's really got me curious is why you guys have gotten so upset by the quote in the first place? He pretty much manages to compliment Christians while simultaneously referring to the gospel as a myth.. A compliment and insult in the same sentence, that's genius . 

I'm not upset.  Calling bullcrap, on blatant Christian propaganda, is tedious and boring.  If Christians cared more, about the sin of bearing false witness, I wouldn't have to.  Don't worry.  I'm used to it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Not upset, either. Curious, though, how does your statement prove Einstein was aware of the article if he had lived long enough. Are you saying the article didn't exist, after all? If that were the case, then that would make you the liar you proclaimed you weren't.

Could you prove he was aware, if the article exists?

Evidence for your argument is required in this instance because it isn't a question of faith per this tandem you had presented. See the point, yet?

12 minutes ago, Key said:

Not upset, either. Curious, though, how does your statement prove Einstein was aware of the article if he had lived long enough. Are you saying the article didn't exist, after all? If that were the case, then that would make you the liar you proclaimed you weren't.

Evidence for your argument is required in this instance because it isn't a question of faith per this tandem you had presented. See the point, yet?

We could make similar observations about the Gospels -- which translate as Good News.  The propaganda of it's time.   The Good News must be true.  See?  Someone reported these stories as true.  Even though much of the content, is about the people who insisted it was a lie.   Even though parts of it are ludicrous.    :birgits_giggle:

18 hours ago, Key said:

Are you kidding? I posted the link to the paper which printed the interview, with photo's and all........  Now you want me to get into Einsteins head and prove what he did and didn't know? Otherwise I'm a liar? Your right, its not a matter of faith, its right there in black & white.. Your the ones who claimed it was a lie and Einstein never said that, so I posted a photo copy of the article as proof, and now your saying that evidence is required? Unbelievable! Like I said, Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address,  but since "God" was used in the Address, you both no doubt would never admit or accept that Lincoln said any of it. Your true colors are showing, your absolute hatred of anything Christian has you in complete denial of anything & anyone who references God. You always say that you don't need to prove something (bible) isn't true, and that its up to me to prove that it is true. But here,  Einstein did an interview with George Viereck in 1929, you have a copy of it,  and yet your in complete denial that Einstein knew anything about what he was quoted as saying. Bottom line, the burden of proof now falls into your laps, you need to prove that Einstein was the clueless moron that your portraying him to be. And after you do that,  find some evidence to prove Lincoln and Christ were misquoted too.  Me thinks tour typical Liberals, who automatically deny that anything you don't agree with has got to be false.  I'm beginning to think that if someone slapped either of you upside the head, you'd want pictures to prove that it actually happened, and even then you would undoubtedly insist that the pictures were photo shopped.. Wow, just Wow

http:// http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/wp-content/uploads/satevepost/what_life_means_to_einstein.pdf

Edited by Dan56

1 hour ago, Dan56 said:

Are you kidding? I posted the link to the paper which printed the interview, with photo's and all........  Now you want me to get into Einsteins head and prove what he did and didn't know? Otherwise I'm a liar? Your right, its not a matter of faith, its right there in black & white.. Your the ones who claimed it was a lie and Einstein never said that, so I posted a photo copy of the article as proof, and now your saying that evidence is required? Unbelievable! Like I said, Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address,  but since "God" was used in the Address, you both no doubt would never admit or accept that Lincoln said any of it. Your true colors are showing, your absolute hatred of anything Christian has you in complete denial of anything & anyone who references God. You always say that you don't need to prove something (bible) isn't true, and that its up to me to prove that it is true. But here,  Einstein did an interview with George Viereck in 1929, you have a copy of it,  and yet your in complete denial that Einstein knew anything about what he was quoted as saying. Bottom line, the burden of proof now falls into your laps, you need to prove that Einstein was the clueless moron that your portraying him to be. And after you do that,  find some evidence to prove Lincoln and Christ were misquoted too.  Me thinks tour typical Liberals, who automatically deny that anything you don't agree with has got to be false.  I'm beginning to think that if someone slapped either of you upside the head, you'd want pictures to prove that it actually happened, and even then you would undoubtedly insist that the pictures were photo shopped.. Wow, just Wow

http:// http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/wp-content/uploads/satevepost/what_life_means_to_einstein.pdf

:birgits_giggle:     :coffee:

• Administrator

Okay so we're going to stop this here.  I've gotten a few reports on this topic, and others, and I'm usually a bit reluctant to step in and be a baby sitter.  Sometimes, though, it's necessary.

I have seen a lot of baiting, and a lot of attacking of other people, in these posts.  Really, from what I'm looking at, it's petty bickering over really minor stuff. 

So we're going to stop this topic here, and send everyone to their corners to think about what they've done. 

I hope that in continued posts, everyone can be more civil to each other, and if one MUST attack, attack the message and not the messenger.   This goes for all sides, not just one particular member.

Following warnings will be issued with suspension or just flat out removal.

We're grown ups here.  Let's act like it.

Topic is closed.

• Like 1