Skeptics in Unitarian Universalism

From a Skeptic's blog -- a look at the Skeptics in Unitarian Univeralism.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2019/05/unitarians-are-mostly-skeptics/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BRSS&utm_campaign=Nonreligious&utm_content=459

I found the article interesting.  I am not a member of the church and I have no axes to grind.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
7 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

What one insists upon in life is often overturned by future generations. That is how heros and g/God's are made.

As you say.  What we leave behind is interpreted by the future.  Again, I think the Buddha is a prime example.  How would Buddha feel, if he came back to modern day Burma?  He could witness Buddhist monks, committing violence -- and mass murder -- in the name of his teachings.

In fairness, living religions all undergo change over time.  I can't imagine what the Jews of 2,000 years ago -- the time of the 2nd Temple, would make of modern Orthodox Judaism -- much less the Reform movement.

We can only speculate, what would happen, if the historic Jesus came back -- and found 40,000 flavors of Christianity waiting for him.

(Hi, Dan     :bye:)

There is also the Pagan and Neo-Pagan world.  I doubt the Goddess worshipers of 10,000 years ago, would recognize much.

So yes, things change.  The founders have nothing to say about it.

:whist:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The UU has Christian origins in the UK, but today it has many agnostics, atheists and pagan who just enjoy the meeting.  The same goes with the Quakers in the UK. I met agnostics, atheists, sufis, hindus, etc. It has Christians who are also liberal. A UU member said Quakers like to met in silence and UUs have attention deficit and have a lively social meeting. UUs have ministers but Quakers say all are ministers and they all pitch in with the running of things.

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

The UU has Christian origins in the UK, but today it has many agnostics, atheists and pagan who just enjoy the meeting.  The same goes with the Quakers in the UK. I met agnostics, atheists, sufis, hindus, etc. It has Christians who are also liberal. A UU member said Quakers like to met in silence and UUs have attention deficit and have a lively social meeting. UUs have ministers but Quakers say all are ministers and they all pitch in with the running of things.

It doesn't matter what we call it.  In silence, we hear truth.