Psalm 133

A song of ascents. Of David.

How good and pleasant it is
    when God’s people live together in unity!

It is like precious oil poured on the head,
    running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
    down on the collar of his robe.
It is as if the dew of Hermon
    were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
    even life forevermore.(NIV)

Looking at "good" and "pleasant" here, thinking about words that describe the opposites of these words and the contrast. Odd, because just because something is good does not always mean its pleasant, and just because something is pleasant does not mean its good. So I ponder the meaning of these words then in line with my thoughts about what it is like to dwell in unity. Thinking about dwelling in unity. Im thinking being united in thought, action, and attitude. Being united in purpose, goals, and how we operate. So I do not have any Utopian ideas of everyone being in total agreement all the time. Not everyone wants to play by the rules they create for others. Not everyone has the same fire and desire and we get offended, well, i get annoyed at people who make rules and expect me to follow then while they themselves disregard their own rules. How are are you supposed to dwell unity with brothers like that? For one, you cant focus on it, those who seek unity overlook things. Knowing how good and pleasant it is to dwell in unity, having tasted it: that brother knows how precious it is desires it. He knows that God is God and in that comes comfort. I think about dwelling in unity as in living in unity. Not just holding it together for a meeting or a weekend ride, but dwelling in unity as a lifestyle.

Then the example of Aaron anointing than ran from his head down into his beard and on his garments. When I read that I feel a joy way down inside, because the goodness and pleasantness of dwelling with brothers in unity is like an anointing from God, and a blessedness that cannot be contained, but overflows and seeps into other areas. Having these times with brothers, with our Bibles out, talking about what we are reading,...that blessing and sweet spirit just seems to expand. That is one reason why our ministry always meets in public places. It spills over. And that sweet spirit that abides over the fellowship is sensed by those around. It is good and pleasant.

Then finally, the thought of dew, watering a thirsty land. How the plants are nourished by the dew. I think also of the contrasting archetype of a dry desert without water, or having a thirst that is unquenchable and no water around. Of drying and dying vegetation. I think about how dwelling in disunity and discord provides these desert wilderness like feelings and experience, and how hopeless that can be. I think about how dwelling in unity waters the soul and how it encourages and strengthens.

God gave the command for life. Life can be good and pleasant. We can dwell in unity with our brothers and sisters. I suppose it is a choice.