value of religion

cuchulain

2 hours ago, Key said:

Didn't Jimmy Hoffa leave a light on? Or maybe I got the quote wrong. 

I don't know the quote that you're thinking of.

Motel Six says that they will "leave the light on for you".

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

5 hours ago, cuchulain said:

"i know your in there.  I can hear your tv...". 😂

I would enjoy, beyond words, hearing what ever it is, that the missionary from the stars has to say.  Whether I would join up is not the point.  I would love to hear the message.  You know.  Open mind.  

:clap2:     :yahoo:

8 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I would enjoy, beyond words, hearing what ever it is, that the missionary from the stars has to say.  Whether I would join up is not the point.  I would love to hear the message.  You know.  Open mind.  

:clap2:     :yahoo:

What if the alien visitors turned out to be Christians and their message was Christ...... That would probably be the evidence ya'll have been looking for. An unbiased universal message could not be a coincident, especially if it matched what we've been hearing on earth for +2000 years. No religion and nothing to join, just the simple story of creation and the gospel of salvation.  

1 hour ago, Dan56 said:

What if the alien visitors turned out to be Christians and their message was Christ...... That would probably be the evidence ya'll have been looking for. An unbiased universal message could not be a coincident, especially if it matched what we've been hearing on earth for +2000 years. No religion and nothing to join, just the simple story of creation and the gospel of salvation.  

Seriously?  You think the aliens would be descended from Adam and Eve?  That is the only way they would need redemption from Original Sin.  A hard sell, if they aren't Human.

Suppose their religion does offer a way, to come into fellowship with God.  Their God.  Not yours.  Would you sign up?

:mellow:

Are you ready to tell alien missionaries, that they need to be saved by Christ?

:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Seriously?  You think the aliens would be descended from Adam and Eve?  That is the only way they would need redemption from Original Sin.  A hard sell, if they aren't Human.

Suppose their religion does offer a way, to come into fellowship with God.  Their God.  Not yours.  Would you sign up?

Are you ready to tell alien missionaries, that they need to be saved by Christ?

:rolleyes:

Now G/god could have created Gort & Klakpu as the original sinners on their planet but it would be hard to figure how Jesus could come into the story for them to be Christians. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Seriously?  You think the aliens would be descended from Adam and Eve?

No, just that they delivered the same creation story, that God created the universe and everything in it.

And no, I wasn't being too serious since we are talking about imaginary aliens.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

You've heard enough out of me to know the answer to that...... Of course not.

18 hours ago, Dan56 said:

No, just that they delivered the same creation story, that God created the universe and everything in it.

And no, I wasn't being too serious since we are talking about imaginary aliens.

You've heard enough out of me to know the answer to that...... Of course not.

To be clear; if these aliens had a story, about how their god created the Universe, you would take that as validating Christianity?  That seems to be what you said.

I'm trying to be fair.  If that's not what you meant, please clarify.

4 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

To be clear; if these aliens had a story, about how their god created the Universe, you would take that as validating Christianity?

Yes, if their story matched what I already believe, that would certainly be universal confirmation of the truth.. It would just be beyond coincidence that someone from another world would have received the same revelation that was already known on earth.  If Christ were just a man or a myth, there's no way his gospel could have transcended the universe.

6 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Yes, if their story matched what I already believe, that would certainly be universal confirmation of the truth.. It would just be beyond coincidence that someone from another world would have received the same revelation that was already known on earth.  If Christ were just a man or a myth, there's no way his gospel could have transcended the universe.

:blink:

I can't argue with your reasoning.

3 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I can, and will.  If the principles espoused in the bible were correct and universal, no species of life would be capable of mass transportation...since pi is not equal to 3 as claimed in 1 kings 7:23-26 and 2 chrinicles 4: 2-5.

Dan seems to think that an alien species -- with Creation stories about their own god -- would be a confirmation of Genesis.  More than that.  A confirmation of "Christ" -- since he can't make the distinction between Christ and God.  Even an alien god.  Maybe you can argue with that kind of reasoning.  I can't.  At least, I'm not willing.  For me, it's time to slam the lid down on this one.  The horse is dead.  The flies are gathering.  I can't be bothered.

:sigh2:    :mellow:

You're a Stoic.  Do you think Stoic philosophy would be of interest to an alien?

:)

3 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I can, and will.  If the principles espoused in the bible were correct and universal, no species of life would be capable of mass transportation...since pi is not equal to 3 as claimed in 1 kings 7:23-26 and 2 chrinicles 4: 2-5. 

Cubits were rounded off to the nearest whole number, so fractions aside, the 10 cubit diameter does equate to a 30 cubit circumference.  So if aliens came to earth with the same gospel and teachings of Christ, its a weak argument to fret over minute measurements of fixtures in Solomon's temple. I suspect if God were giving dimensions to construct a space craft, the instructions would have been precisely listed.

Edited by Dan56

15 hours ago, Dan56 said:

not trying to start an argument,but IF memory serves me correct,more than one society has a creation"story",a noah's ark",among other things.

47 minutes ago, mark 45 said:

not trying to start an argument,but IF memory serves me correct,more than one society has a creation"story",a noah's ark",among other things.

Yes.  There are plenty of such stories.  If our hypothetical aliens had their own version of these stories, it wouldn't mean anything.  Unless it were hyper specific.  Their god getting nailed to something, for remission of sins, for all entities everywhere.

Even then, I would suspect that they had done research on us -- and had prepared a story that Christians would be comfortable with.  Let's face it.  Missionaries lie.  They tell the audience what the audience wants to hear.

Not that this would help them with Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Animists, Pantheists, Pagans, etc.

2 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Yes.  There are plenty of such stories.  If our hypothetical aliens had their own version of these stories, it wouldn't mean anything.  Unless it were hyper specific.  Their god getting nailed to something, for remission of sins, for all entities everywhere.

Even then, I would suspect that they had done research on us -- and had prepared a story that Christians would be comfortable with.  Let's face it.  Missionaries lie.  They tell the audience what the audience wants to hear.

Not that this would help them with Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Animists, Pantheists, Pagans, etc.

Set your phaser to ethnic cleanse, brother Gort.

21 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

Set your phaser to ethnic cleanse, brother Gort.

Do you think that I'm being unfair?  Or unreasonable?  I have a mistrust of missionaries, which I think is justified. 

One of the historic examples that comes to mind, is the Jesuit invasion of Japan. 

Islamic missionaries, have been known to employ more drastic means.

Buddhist missionaries, tend to actual persuasion.  This is not something that we can count on.

7 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

[...] Islamic missionaries, have been known to employ more drastic means. [...]

My very name stems from that; it means "free one" and was given to boys who were mutilated by their own parents (eyes poked out, fingers amputated and such) in an attempt to prevent the Islamic invaders in Europe to take them and brainwash them into the very first ranks of their future armies.... Thus becoming quite fanatic because they wanted to "prove" themselves worthy of their new religion. Actually becoming so good at it that for centuries they became the emperors elite forces and personal body guards. For more background info just google: Janissaries (or just read the Wiki link I put in).

But yes, all "major" religions were guilty of more or less similar means of "persuasion" (or maybe someone can try to explain what "christmas trees" and [chocolate] easter eggs have to do with Christ's birth or crucifixion [no, I don't believe in his "literal" resurrection]...). 

Edited by RevBogovac

On 2/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Dan56 said:

Here's a silly little question, though. Given that many cultures before Christ had similar stories to the Bible's Genesis and a few other excerpts, how could you be certain it truly matched? Also, it is very likely the alien's language would be quite different than ours, meaning names and other terms or phrases may be very different, as well.

I never truly understood how we got Jesus from Yewah in our own translations.

It just might be the only true universal "truths" are that we are all born, live, and then die.

17 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Dan seems to think that an alien species -- with Creation stories about their own god -- would be a confirmation of Genesis.  More than that.  A confirmation of "Christ" -- since he can't make the distinction between Christ and God.  Even an alien god.  Maybe you can argue with that kind of reasoning.  I can't.  At least, I'm not willing.  For me, it's time to slam the lid down on this one.  The horse is dead.  The flies are gathering.  I can't be bothered.

:sigh2:    :mellow:

You're a Stoic.  Do you think Stoic philosophy would be of interest to an alien?

:)

Dan's still on the ignore list...i forget because i still see his quotes.  One day i'll bother learning how to block those as well.

12 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Do you think that I'm being unfair?  Or unreasonable?  I have a mistrust of missionaries, which I think is justified. 

One of the historic examples that comes to mind, is the Jesuit invasion of Japan. 

Islamic missionaries, have been known to employ more drastic means.

Buddhist missionaries, tend to actual persuasion.  This is not something that we can count on.

I am sorry, Jonathan. I just thought to illustrate that alien "Christians missionaries" would not have any problems dealing with Earth's other religions.