Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Brain Damage and Fundamentalism

2 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Doesn't surprise me, but it's always nice when something is scientifically proven...

In fairness, it's only an association at this point.  Not a causal relationship.  Much like the early research, linking smoking and lung cancer.  Still, it has to start somewhere.

:mellow:

A link is a correlation, and not all correlations are causal, but there's (obviously...) a correlation. 

Am wondering if it's significant (and eventually... causal). 

8 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

A link is a correlation, and not all correlations are causal, but there's (obviously...) a correlation. 

Am wondering if it's significant (and eventually... causal). 

I think we have to be careful of how we interpret these results.  To my understanding, it is not that brain damage leads to Fundamentalism.  Rather, brain damage leads to rigid thinking.  It is rigid thinking that leads to Fundamentalism.  This can happen without brain damage.  I expect that damage to the frontal lobes, does impair mental flexibility.

In any event, I want to be cautious in my interpretation.  This material feeds into my personal bias.  I might not be fair in my understanding.

:whist:

• Like 1

I'll happily leave the interpretation to the scientists, they're much better at that... but interesting indeed... 

I wonder if the founders of these religions were brain damaged and that shaped the beliefs of millions?  Never know since most were anonymous.

1 hour ago, cuchulain said:

I wonder if the founders of these religions were brain damaged and that shaped the beliefs of millions?  Never know since most were anonymous.

There is an old line.  I don't know who said it.

"When we speak to God, it's called prayer.  When God speaks to us, it's called Schizophrenia."

St. Paul, on the road to Damascus, comes to mind.

:devil:

So does Mohamed.

And Joseph Smith.

Also, various Saints and Holy Men.

:whist:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
  • Like 1