Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!

3 hours ago, Geordon said:

"The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - "

How kind of the Holy Father to note, that Atheists can do good.  I'm underwhelmed by his generosity of spirit.

"The Church wants all men and women to be saved."

Well, glory glory.  The Church wants to save our souls.  Who would have guessed?  Two thousand years of persuasion didn't get the job done -- but he still wants to save our souls.  Of all the smug, arrogant, condescending .............

:pope:

:rolleyes:

Really, you impress too easily.  Which part of this is new?  Aside from the overt threat of violence being muted.  The church has been declawed.  It's still the same church otherwise.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

I believe the first half is possible (atheists can do good), but not the second half (and go to heaven). The New Testament clearly teaches that doing good ain't good enough. "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).. I'm obviously not Catholic  :)

7 hours ago, Dan56 said:

I believe the first half is possible (atheists can do good), but not the second half (and go to heaven). The New Testament clearly teaches that doing good ain't good enough. "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).. I'm obviously not Catholic  :)

Atheists do not worry about Heaven.

:whist:

if i remember the clip properly,he was attempting to consul a little boy who's father had died.

i'm not going to comment on what the little boy was told,or even the fact about it being true or not.as jonathon said,atheists don't worry about heaven(or hell for that matter),or whether they exist or not.