Apa-theism: Not caring whether or not God exists

On 10/12/2021 at 11:57 PM, Dan56 said:

Not much to comment on when someone says, "I don't know and I don't care".. Being apathetic defines a person who is void of substance.

I see that you are still averse to making distinctions.  There are many things in life that are worthy of great passion.  God is not one of them.  

Apatheism is for people who are tired of silly and useless arguments about God's existence.  

A God that cannot be demonstrated to exist is not worth arguing about.  Even if that God actually exists.  No more arguing about faith or belief.  No more arguing about knowledge.  It doesn't matter.

This is NOT "void of substance".  It is an awakening.

😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 4:56 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I see that you are still averse to making distinctions.  There are many things in life that are worthy of great passion.  God is not one of them.  

Apatheism is for people who are tired of silly and useless arguments about God's existence.  

A God that cannot be demonstrated to exist is not worth arguing about.  Even if that God actually exists.  No more arguing about faith or belief.  No more arguing about knowledge.  It doesn't matter.

This is NOT "void of substance".  It is an awakening.

😃

It takes no energy to be an atheist whereas it takes a LOT of energy to not be an atheist. One has to decide if there's a god, which god to worship and appease, how much worship is necessary to keep the angry god satisfied. An insecure, needy, prone to violent rage and killing god takes a lot of energy to soothe and keep soothed. Yet people choose to devote so much of their time and life basically paying attention to something that is nonexistent and a subject of delusional episodes and can only, really only be approached through a rock solid state of cognitive dissonance.

Yeah, way less work...no work in fact, to be an atheist. An apatheist is for someone who still feels like they want to leave the door open and are just to....well, apathetic to just slam the door shut and move on with their life.

19 minutes ago, damnthing said:

It takes no energy to be an atheist whereas it takes a LOT of energy to not be an atheist. One has to decide if there's a god, which god to worship and appease, how much worship is necessary to keep the angry god satisfied. An insecure, needy, prone to violent rage and killing god takes a lot of energy to soothe and keep soothed. Yet people choose to devote so much of their time and life basically paying attention to something that is nonexistent and a subject of delusional episodes and can only, really only be approached through a rock solid state of cognitive dissonance.

Yeah, way less work...no work in fact, to be an atheist. An apatheist is for someone who still feels like they want to leave the door open and are just to....well, apathetic to just slam the door shut and move on with their life.

I have discovered that there is no such thing as a perfect label for me.  A label that answers all questions about me, at all times, under all circumstances.  It comes down to context and what question is being asked.  

• I'm a human being.
  • I'm an American.
  • I'm a man. 
  • I'm a senior.
  • I'm an arthritic
  • I'm a mammal.
  • These and many more labels apply.

In like manner, I have an ethnic and tribal identity.  I'm Jewish.

• Because in a world suffused with antisemitism, how others see me still matters.

In like manner, I have my religious labels.

• I'm an Atheist, because I lack piety and I don't believe.  Because I need a reason to believe but I don't need a reason to not believe.  Because I actually read the Bible -- both the Hebrew and Greek sections.
  • I'm an Agnostic, because we have no objective verifiable facts about God.  Nothing at all.  It is silly to argue in a compete absence of facts.  Because I would rather talk about what I know instead about what I believe.  Because I don't actually know if God exists, I'm not going to find out and I don't worry about it.
  • I'm an Apatheist, because of all the silly pointless things to argue about, God's existence heads the list.  A God that cannot be demonstrated to exist is meaningless.  Even if that God does exist -- so what?  Leave the possibility open?  It doesn't matter.

In my view, there is no supernatural.  If something exists, it is part of the natural order.

I despise metaphysics.  I have always found prune juice to be a strong enough physic.  (That was a joke.)

That's enough for now.

• Like 1

Does anyone mind if I go off-topic for a moment?  I have just logged-on after an absence of several years, and am wondering who is maintaining the forum site. In order to log-on I had to enter both my user name and password, and at each of these steps I was warned that the site was insecure, and that anyone could see what I was entering. Is anyone else troubled by this?

Is there a way to see who is still active ?  Thanks for any and all replies to my inquiry.

23 minutes ago, Bro. Hex said:

Does anyone mind if I go off-topic for a moment?  I have just logged-on after an absence of several years, and am wondering who is maintaining the forum site. In order to log-on I had to enter both my user name and password, and at each of these steps I was warned that the site was insecure, and that anyone could see what I was entering. Is anyone else troubled by this?

Is there a way to see who is still active ?  Thanks for any and all replies to my inquiry.

Welcome back.

Of course the board is "insecure".  It wouldn't be much of a forum if people can't read it.   🙂

If someone posts -- they've active.  People wander in, they wander off.  Feel welcome.

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, damnthing said:

A refreshing point of view.  Thanks for the posting.

von

On 7/17/2018 at 12:16 PM, mererdog said:

That has not been my experience. I have been told it's just my White Privilege, but my experience is my experience, you know? I get respect from most people without demanding it, and I find that people who only give respect to those who demand it are people whose opinions I don't respect. And while the meek do get eaten, the aggressive tend to grind themselves to dust. It seems to be a toss up as far as who will outlast who.

Personally, I know that I like being nice and I don't like being mean. I mean, I like pretend mean, like insult comedy or practical jokes, but deliberately trying to hurt people always makes me feel bad. Not always right away, but always. I have heard violence likened to crack cocaine. The rush is awesome, but there's always a price to pay.

Insightful.   Particularly the "rush" accompanying violence.   

BTW, I was surprised to learn you are large in stature. 

I already knew you were pretty darn tall/deep in thought. 

von

41 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

Sounds like Dan56 offered humor with a smile.

Much appreciated.

von

Humor?  Alright.  Dan would see it that way.  He thinks that what we believe about God is important.

A reality check.  Do you think that an Apatheist is "an Agnostic with an attitude"?

I don't think it's funny, but alright.