Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Apa-theism: Not caring whether or not God exists

Apatheism:  Not caring whether or not God exists.

For the people who are tired of arguing non-belief (Atheism) and not knowing (Agnosticism).

For those who simply don't care and don't want to argue metaphysics.  

:sigh2:

:whist:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

3 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

don't want to argue metaphysics

People like that exist?!?!?!?!

3 hours ago, Geordon said:

People like that exist?!?!?!?!

I've overdosed.  In particular, I'm thinking of the time I was at a party.  I was having a perfectly lovely time, chatting trivia, when the subject of religion came up.  I was asked what my religion was.  I said, Atheist.  Next thing I knew, I was confronted with tearful pleadings for mutual tolerance.

Too many stupid conversations.  I say Atheist -- I get a more or less standard of collection of stupid responses.  I say Agnostic, I get the other standard collection of stupid responses.

Then again, there's the crap arguments going on between the Atheists, The Agnostics and the Antitheists.  

Enough.  I can't do it any more.  I'm sick of arguing trivia -- and there's no trivia like metaphysics.  Arguments about God.  Nobody has anything resembling objective facts -- but oh, the passions.  What gets me is how people advocate for their labels -- not their actual views -- their labels -- as though their lives were on the line.  It's so toxic.

sound emotional stability might very well require us to insist on converting everyone to this.  i've interpreted right, yes?  (an attempt at humor)

57 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Nobody has anything resembling objective facts -- but oh, the passions

See, that's one of my favorite things about Buddhism:  There is no god that you have to appease.  There are saints, sort of, technically, but they are neither holy nor divine, except in that they have attained enlightenment on some level and the only holiness that they have comes from their teachings and actions.

In Buddhism, there is no threat of punishment if you break the rules.  Just as rain falls and the sun rises, so are the consequences of what you do.  This is karma.  "You break it, you bought it."

I had to drop out of a few Facebook Atheist groups.  The question came up -- yet again -- If you had to choose a religion, which religion would you choose?  I decided to go for humor.  I said, "Agnostic".  Guess what?  These groups have no sense of humor. 

It was a Fuster CLuck.  They ganged up.  I left.  From their reaction, you would think I had walked into a church and pissed on the altar.

Pardon the expression, but... Jesus wept.

Why in the world were they talking about choosing a religion in the first place?!?!?!

I spend a lot of time on Quora, and I follow a number of people who happen to be Atheists.  Just the other day, I saw one of them respond to some question about "why do atheists do/not do" something.  I don't remember exactly what it was, but it's not germane.  

Anyway, this guy said something about how he and his family *do* go to some church or another.  What struck me is that he said something about how he understands the benefit of community membership, even if he does not ascribe to the dogma or faith even though he sits through the sermon every Sunday.

4 hours ago, Geordon said:

Pardon the expression, but... Jesus wept.

Why in the world were they talking about choosing a religion in the first place?!?!?!

I spend a lot of time on Quora, and I follow a number of people who happen to be Atheists.  Just the other day, I saw one of them respond to some question about "why do atheists do/not do" something.  I don't remember exactly what it was, but it's not germane.  

Anyway, this guy said something about how he and his family *do* go to some church or another.  What struck me is that he said something about how he understands the benefit of community membership, even if he does not ascribe to the dogma or faith even though he sits through the sermon every Sunday.

It's a variety of smugness that these groups indulge in.  When Atheists come together -- they're like any other group.

It's a form of elitism.  I have outgrown religion.  I know better.  They need religion.  They need prayer.