respect of beliefs for the atheist

5 hours ago, Geordon said:

FTFY

This describes a lack of compassion.  Oh, how I wish I had digital access to the OED!  Anyway...  There is a difference between a lack of acceptance (i.e. def 1.4 and 2) and a lack of respect (definition 2).  I do not accept Christianity, Islam, Atheism, etc ad nauseam.  I do, however, respect them.

Citations and full context needed, starting with the definition of what makes for nonbelievers.  A quick search for 9:5 resulted me in this page: Verse (9:5) - English Translation. Note the mention of Allah being forgiving and merciful, similar to what I understand about the Christian God.  

However, forgiveness (drill down to forgive, def 1, 1.1, 1.2) and mercy (def. 1) are not to be had by those that either Allah or God have deemed unworthy.  See Romans 3:23 and  Romans 3:24, and contrast Romans 1:18, as opposed to your reference to Quran 9:5 and contrast 17:25.  

With enough desire, time and effort, it is likely that I could find more passages from both The Bible and The Qur'an to support both sides of the same question within each text.  Or, to put it another way, I could almost certainly find plenty of internal contradictions in both texts.  The same with The Torah, but that's just the Old Testament written out long hand.

I'll do you one more!  Read what His Holiness, the Dalai Lama said about "Faith in Buddhism and Christianity."

Out of curiosity, have you read any of the Pentatuch? 

:whist:

To my understanding -- The forgiveness and mercy sited here, are for those who become Muslims.  Those who refuse the call, are to receive neither forgiveness nor mercy.  Yes.  Very similar to Christian values.  It's the same shoe on the other foot.  

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
13 hours ago, Geordon said:

This describes a lack of compassion.  Oh, how I wish I had digital access to the OED!  Anyway...  There is a difference between a lack of acceptance (i.e. def 1.4 and 2) and a lack of respect (definition 2).  I do not accept Christianity, Islam, Atheism, etc ad nauseam.  I do, however, respect them.

Citations and full context needed, starting with the definition of what makes for nonbelievers.  A quick search for 9:5 resulted me in this page: Verse (9:5) - English Translation. Note the mention of Allah being forgiving and merciful, similar to what I understand about the Christian God.  

However, forgiveness (drill down to forgive, def 1, 1.1, 1.2) and mercy (def. 1) are not to be had by those that either Allah or God have deemed unworthy.  See Romans 3:23 and  Romans 3:24, and contrast Romans 1:18, as opposed to your reference to Quran 9:5 and contrast 17:25.  

With enough desire, time and effort, it is likely that I could find more passages from both The Bible and The Qur'an to support both sides of the same question within each text.  Or, to put it another way, I could almost certainly find plenty of internal contradictions in both texts.  The same with The Torah, but that's just the Old Testament written out long hand.

Not respecting something that you believe is a load of baloney does not constitute a lack of compassion. While I respect and accept everyone's right to believe what they want, I find it impossible to respect something I believe is false. Compassion has nothing to do with it, except in the sense that I'm sympathetic towards those who have the misfortune of believing something that I perceive to be a lie.

The difference between Allah and God is that Allah inspires believers to exact punishment, while the biblical God says; "Vengeance is mine" (Romans 12:19). And imo, there are no internal contradictions in the bible, but that's a whole different subject.  

Did you even visit any of the links that I offered?

Did you even visit any of the links that I offered?

Yes.  I thought the description of Jodo was particularly interesting.  It shows how far some of Japanese Buddhism has drifted from the source.  Amida Buddha does not liberate.  They have gone off the rails.

They can chant --" Nammu Amida Bhutsu" until doomsday.  All they have done is turned Amida into a god.  An external god.

20 hours ago, Geordon said:

FTFY

I'll do you one more!  Read what His Holiness, the Dalai Lama said about "Faith in Buddhism and Christianity."

I have just looked over Dan's reply to your comments above.  It is an analysis between "God" and "Allah".

As usual, the tail is wagging the dogma.     :D   

On 5/28/2018 at 8:49 AM, Geordon said:

FTFY

Very interesting. Thanks for the read.

4 hours ago, Key said:

Can't help but think of Robin Williams character in "Millenium Man" where he often says that, whenever you post that.

Got it in one! That was one of my favorite of his movies and characters. The movie was called "Bicentenial Man"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 6:31 PM, cuchulain said:

i remember many various phases to this forum, having originally joined with the profile name madmerlin33 in the early 2000's.  i lost the password on purpose, needing a break as sometimes happens, then lost my email for that account, so made a new one.

i remember democratis AChE, dave and some few others from then, when we had an AAG forum(almost anything goes).  that was done away with as too controversial...but sometimes the regular section comes close to what that section used to in levels of antagonizism. 

I didn't know you went that far back. I don't remember madmerlin33 from then but I do remember dave and dA. I used to argue with those two as much as you and Jonathan used to argue with Dan. LOL

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, Pastor Dave said:

I didn't know you went that far back. I don't remember madmerlin33 from then but I do remember dave and dA. I used to argue with those two as much as you and Jonathan used to argue with Dan. LOL

yeah...it used to be a bit worse by my memory...but then, my memory isn't perfect by any means.

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2018 at 7:17 AM, Dan56 said:

Not respecting something that you believe is a load of baloney does not constitute a lack of compassion. While I respect and accept everyone's right to believe what they want, I find it impossible to respect something I believe is false. Compassion has nothing to do with it, except in the sense that I'm sympathetic towards those who have the misfortune of believing something that I perceive to be a lie.

The difference between Allah and God is that Allah inspires believers to exact punishment, while the biblical God says; "Vengeance is mine" (Romans 12:19). And imo, there are no internal contradictions in the bible, but that's a whole different subject.  

Interestingly there is a whole lot of dead people that God ordered his followers to kill and looking through Leviticus God again inspired his followers to kill none believers, gays, and those who do not listen to their priests.ect..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pete said:

Interestingly there is a whole lot of dead people that God ordered his followers to kill and looking through Leviticus God again inspired his followers to kill none believers, gays, and those who do not listen to their priests.ect..

The same god who sent two bears to kill 42 kids in a town because one said, 'go up bald head''.  One...the other 41 did nothing and got mauled anyway.  At least according to mythology.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 11:57 PM, cuchulain said:

The same god who sent two bears to kill 42 kids in a town because one said, 'go up bald head''.  One...the other 41 did nothing and got mauled anyway.  At least according to mythology.

It's terrible that some will try and justify this.

Edited by Pete
  • 4 months later...

"If I follow the philosophy of atheism, stoicism, and skepticism blended(and I do, by the way), then am I not entitled to enjoy the exercise of statement of that belief?"

I have not read the threads on this board you described and I have not read all the replies to this one, however I would answer YES.  I may not agree with you on some topics, but that's what's great about this country. We are all free to have our own beliefs and we are free to express those beliefs.  If someone is being respectful of others who may not think the way they do, I think we are all entitled to our beliefs.  If you are expressing your beliefs so that we may learn and understand how you feel, and what you believe I am completely on board. 

What I don't think anyone has the right to do is disrespect anyone because of their beliefs.  That is not in line with any of the religions we associate with here.  I also don't think that any one religion should be forcing it's views on others, or preventing them from worshiping and celebrating as they wish because they don't agree. If you don't agree, step out while the others do their thing.  It's call respect, and being a good human being.  I don't care what religion you are, if you are a nice person I will respect you.  By the way, I don't know if it's right to say Atheism is a "religion" I just used that word because I don't know enough about Atheism to call it anything else. 

Keep sharing your beliefs here. Those who can't respect that are not worth your time.  

• Like 1