What works by Kirby Hensley have you read?

Geordon

I'm in the process of reading his Universal Life in the 21st Century right now and I can only say that more than a few ULC ministers these days would call him a heretic and are about as far from his vision as can be.

He was not well educated, and that comes through in this book, though he was a leader (though unrecognized) in the realm of spiritual evolution... And more than a few ministers of the ULC probably don't even realize it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 6:50 PM, Geordon said:

I'm in the process of reading his Universal Life in the 21st Century right now and I can only say that more than a few ULC ministers these days would call him a heretic and are about as far from his vision as can be.

He was not well educated, and that comes through in this book, though he was a leader (though unrecognized) in the realm of spiritual evolution... And more than a few ministers of the ULC probably don't even realize it.

I wonder who you think would call him a heretic, and in what context.  Am I supposed to read the book to find out?

On 5/15/2018 at 8:14 AM, scottedward said:

I wonder who you think would call him a heretic, and in what context.  Am I supposed to read the book to find out?

To answer the second question, I would strongly recommend reading the work so that you can get a feel for Hensley's mindset and reasoning.  But, I'll be happy to discuss what my interpretations of what I've read include.

Now, to answer the first but unstated question:  "What is a heretic?"  I tend to forget that not everyone has the same background that I have, so let's first go to one of several dictionaries to find out what the word actually means:

Merriam-Webster definition of heresy:

a : adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma (see dogma 2)  
  • They were accused of heresy.
b : denial of a revealed truth by a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church 
c : an opinion or doctrine contrary to church dogma 
2a : dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, or practice  
  • To disagree with the party leadership was heresy.
b : an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards 
  • our democratic heresy which holds that … truth is to be found by majority vote
  •  —M. W. Straight

Dictionary.com definition of heresy:

noun, plural her·e·sies.

opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine, especially of a church or religious system.

the maintaining of such an opinion or doctrine.

Roman Catholic Church. the willful and persistent rejection of any article of faith by a baptized member of the church.

Oxford Living Dictionary of English definition of heresy:

NOUN

mass noun

1Belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine.

‘Huss was burned for heresy’

count noun ‘the doctrine was denounced as a heresy by the Pope’

1.1 Opinion profoundly at odds with what is generally accepted.

‘the heresy of being uncommitted to the right political dogma’

Furthermore, all of the origins of the word are basically the same: 

Middle English: from Old French heresie, based on Latin haeresis, from Greek hairesis ‘choice’ (in ecclesiastical Greek ‘heretical sect’), from haireomai ‘choose’.

So, to interpret all of these, "heresy" is the act of holding ides that are in conflict with accepted (Christine) doctrine.  The holding of these sort of ideas makes someone a heretic.

Rev. Kirby Helmsley grew up in the Baptist Church.  He left school early in his youth and had very little in the way of formal education, though he went to various churches and Sunday Schools.  As he learned the text of the KJV Bible, he concluded a couple of things that were in direct opposition to doctrinal Christian teachings.

First, he concluded that God and The Devil of Christianity worked side by side and hand in hand.  When God wanted something "bad" to happen, he had The Devil do it.

Second, he concluded that many of the things taught in The Bible were, in fact, false and even outright lies sold to the faithful, including no small number of the words attributed to Jesus.

Among the other things that I have interpreted from "Universal Live in the 21st Century" is that he grew into the belief that the Christian doctrine is based on a false premise and that God is not the creator of the universe.

I would definitely call those heretical ideas!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Rev. Kirby may not of had formal education, but I would contend that he was a student of life, and I feel a very smart & educated man. I am a BIG fan and a student of Rev. Hensley. I read as much as I can about him. I regret that I never got to meet him. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Works by Kirby are available with certain courses, they are: HQ Dr. of the Universe( The Prophet, The Children of the Prophet, The Universal Order) $34.95, HQ Dr. of Universal Order( Universal Life in the 21st Century) $21.95, HQ Dr. of Immortality( A New Life, Do You Want It?) $24.95, HQ Dr. of Philosophy of Religion(HQ Condensed Holy Bible, Testament of Today) $99.95, HQ Master in Religion(A Discourse) $49.95.

Available seperately from the store for $9.95 each: HQ Condensed Holy Bible, The Holy Bible for the 21st Century, Universal Life in the 21st Century, A New Life Do You Want It?  

I am currently reading The Holy Bible for the 21st Century. I find his heresies fascinating and worth exploring.