Some Catholics rock

Sometimes we forget to say a few good words to those of a different belief than our own.  

My my father was a devout Catholic.   He saw Imperfections in the church (and plenty of not perfect clergy)..., but he believed the dogma completely and totally. He prayed openly.  He went to confession often.  He never failed to share whatever we had.   Anyone could get a meal in our home.   He never tired anyone away... so a FULL plate of food was not a guarantee growing up :lol: .... but we always had enough.  He lived a good life and was a fine example to his kids.

So while only one of my siblings followed his choice...in joining dad as a Catholic...I was exposed to some good things from my Catholic father.

Hows about some positive comments about Catholics.... it seems over due 

Add on to the list...positive comments only please...

.....  education ....the times I opted (it was a choice with my parents who encouraged us to try lots of things)...when I chose to go to a Catholic high school.... I definitely learned some good stuff.... Latin has come in handy a surprising number of times.  

.... after Hurricane Katrina ....Catholic Social Services was the first outside assistance we saw.... and they gave TO ALL without ever once asking our beliefs...preaching ....or mention God other than to quietly say.... God Bless New Orleans (or you) depending on who was there.... many said nothing but worked in horrible conditions to offer US comfort 

the Pope.... the current one...seems pretty okay to me so far

.....join in....

von

3 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

One of my senior centers is run by Catholic Charities.  It's a good place.  

...that reminded me about two different hospice facilities run by Catholics that were exceptionally places...

Is St. Jude Hospital a Catholic place?   (I dunno it sounds like it....)

von

36 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

...that reminded me about two different hospice facilities run by Catholics that were exceptionally places...

Is St. Jude Hospital a Catholic place?   (I dunno it sounds like it....)

von

St. Jude is the Catholic saint of the Impossible and Lost Causes.  I don't know about the Hospital administration.  

St. Jude is not Catholic, nor are the affiliated with any organized religion.  Danny Thomas who founded St. Jude, was a Catholic however.  St. Jude was his personal saint so he named his hospital after him.

I do believe the same. I don't care what religion you are, if you are a good person you get my respect.  My church hosts Lenten Lunches every year and all the churches in our town take a turn providing the meal and the talk.  We always start out with the Catholic church first then figure everyone else out later.  Each week no matter what church is providing the meal, it's always attended by all the churches.  Its the one time a year when no matter what faith you are, we can all sit down together and God's children.

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

While I have had my axe to grind with certain priests in the Catholic church, due to abuse that led me to abandon the church of my youth, that doesn't mean I do not respect and honor the vast majority of Catholics, both clergy, and laity who live out their understanding of the faith, especially those who have taken to heart Christ's commands to care for the poor, the sick and the outcasts.  

Certainly, there are theological issues that keep me from embracing Catholicism as the faith path for myself, but that does not mean that others cannot with the greatest integrity accept it for themselves. 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

On 3/15/2018 at 11:07 AM, FredClaus said:

St. Jude is not Catholic, nor are the affiliated with any organized religion.  Danny Thomas who founded St. Jude, was a Catholic however.  St. Jude was his personal saint so he named his hospital after him.

I do believe the same. I don't care what religion you are, if you are a good person you get my respect.  My church hosts Lenten Lunches every year and all the churches in our town take a turn providing the meal and the talk.  We always start out with the Catholic church first then figure everyone else out later.  Each week no matter what church is providing the meal, it's always attended by all the churches.  Its the one time a year when no matter what faith you are, we can all sit down together and God's children.

Thanks for backstory.   So yay!  To Danny  Thomas is in order as we note some Catholics who made a positive difference.

FredClaus what a beautiful story if all churches working and worshipping together.   

We managed similar things our ten years as a small as a small rural church.    Truly IT IS possible.    I say bravo.... and offer a standing ovation.   The fact you do not seek praise is why these churches deserve it.   BRAVO! 

von

1 hour ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

While I have had my axe to grind with certain priests in the Catholic church, due to abuse that led me to abandon the church of my youth, that doesn't mean I do not respect and honor the vast majority of Catholics, both clergy, and laity who live out their understanding of the faith, especially those who have taken to heart Christ's commands to care for the poor, the sick and the outcasts.  

Certainly, there are theological issues that keep me from embracing Catholicism as the faith path for myself, but that does not mean that others cannot with the greatest integrity accept it for themselves. 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Excellent outreach.... I appreciate your noting the positive.... thank you

von

2 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

Just curious... is it by any chance free or low cost..... the Catholics ran several senior citizens centers in Louisiana.... all of them WELL RUN.... and accessible

von

Membership is free.  The programs are free.  Lunch is low cost and a bargain.  Seniors who can't pay the nominal donation eat free.  

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Membership is free.  The programs are free.  Lunch is low cost and a bargain.  Seniors who can't pay the nominal donation eat free.  

Yep....same sort of deal....I thought they were AWESOME then....happy to hear it is not unique.

von

14 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Yep....same sort of deal....I thought they were AWESOME then....happy to hear it is not unique.

von

I also attend two other senior centers, that are run by Protestant churches -- and another that is run by an Orthodox  synagogue.  I don't have a problem with religious organizations.  Or religious people.  When I'm respected, I give respect.

:mellow: