Racing with a tiger

VonNoble

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Not in binary.  

There are no 5s in binary. If your answer to that question is valid, a valid answer for any true/false question is "Not if we're speaking Mandarin." That feels more like a dodge than an answer, no?

55 minutes ago, mererdog said:

There are no 5s in binary. If your answer to that question is valid, a valid answer for any true/false question is "Not if we're speaking Mandarin." That feels more like a dodge than an answer, no?

This is for a philosophy course.  Not a computer graded exam.  Philosophy questions have a way of looking simple -- even simplistic -- and then jumping on basic opening premises.  We are starting with the premise that the answer is true or false.  To me, it smells like a trap.

6 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Along the way we wasted much time discussing sunsets by beaches being beautiful always....what is Beauty.... and how awful life must be for people who add color-blind 

von

while it may seem that way,being color blind myself doesn't mean that i don't see colors,or what i may consider beautiful.i just see it differently than most other people.by the way,most males are color blind. 

1 hour ago, mark 45 said:

while it may seem that way,being color blind myself doesn't mean that i don't see colors,or what i may consider beautiful.i just see it differently than most other people.by the way,most males are color blind. 

I am happy to learn a bit more into that view of things.    Until yesterday I am not sure I ever thought about how that must be.....

thx

von

3 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

True or false

I know that the Earth is spherical (not flat.)

False. Unless you're looking at it from space, you know the earth looks flat, not spherical. Know is subjective to perspective.

56 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

You are correct....that was the ONKY one we did not dissect over and over and over...

:unsure:

von

Math is built to be simple. Every symbol has a specific meaning and a specific relation to every other symbol. Until you try to apply the math to the real world, the rules are straightforward.

58 minutes ago, Key said:

False. Unless you're looking at it from space, you know the earth looks flat, not spherical. Know is subjective to perspective.

Love this....wish you had been there to help us....NONE IF US thought if that...

you geta gold star :thumbu:

von

1 hour ago, VonNoble said:

Sort of depends on your priorities at the moment doesn’t it?  ;)

von

Nope. That only changes how you feel about it.

Imagine you mow my lawn for me, and I give you a hundred dollar bill in exchange. Imagine further that you don't know what a hundred dollar bill is. 

Naturally, you feel that your efforts were wasted. After all, what are you supposed to do with this tiny piece of weird cloth? But when you later learn that the bill can be used to purchase goods and services, you realise that your initial judgement was wrong. What you received for your efforts had value, it was simply value you could not appreciate at the time.

But what if you never learn what a hundred dollar bill is? You will still have recieved something of value for you efforts, so your efforts were not wasted. What is wasted is the value of the reward recieved. 

In the same way, you get something of value from these exchanges, so your time is not wasted. But if you fail to see the value in what you get, you probably wont make good use of that value and it will go to waste.

1 hour ago, Key said:

I have more to go on than how it looks to me. I have the words of those who have circumnavigated the globe. I have the work of scientists and cartographers who have measured the circumference of the globe. I have photos taken from the moon.

1 hour ago, mererdog said:

I have more to go on than how it looks to me. I have the words of those who have circumnavigated the globe. I have the work of scientists and cartographers who have measured the circumference of the globe. I have photos taken from the moon.

Your photo taken from the moon shows the earth to be shaped similar to a plate.  Maybe a flat plate.

3 hours ago, VonNoble said:

I’ll take your word for that

:D

In binary, everything is either a 1 or a 0.  There are no other numbers.  In binary, the other numbers don't exist.  A 10 is not a ten.  It is a one and a zero, but it is not a ten.  That makes asking --  if something equals a 10 -- a trick question.  You have been deceived.  Anything built on that deception will be false.

:P

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

3 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

Your photo taken from the moon shows the earth to be shaped similar to a plate.  Maybe a flat plate.

The majority of photos of Earth from the moon aren't disc shaped. They are truncated by shadow. And the curvature of the shadow is exactly what you would expect if you were looking at a ball that was only partially lit.

Still, it isn't just about perceived shape. It isn't about one piece of evidence, or one type of evidence. It is when looking at all the evidence as a whole that find the truth. In the picture highlighted in this article, you can clearly make out the northern edge of Africa. If the Earth is flat, where is the US?

Edited by mererdog