Numbers to a “good life”

VonNoble

If anyone wants to join in.... my philosophy class team completed the following today.    It took 80 minutes.... we were the second to last group to finish. 

List at at least eight (no more than ten) components that comprise a “good life”

Every component you list must be justified by at least two reasons why it is necessary for a good life.

The components you select are not unique to any country or culture.

Anyone care to jump in and name one or two....and why (the sample provided listed education as a component.... my group did not accept that as valid)

von

3 hours ago, VonNoble said:

If anyone wants to join in.... my philosophy class team completed the following today.    It took 80 minutes.... we were the second to last group to finish. 

List at at least eight (no more than ten) components that comprise a “good life”

Every component you list must be justified by at least two reasons why it is necessary for a good life.

The components you select are not unique to any country or culture.

Anyone care to jump in and name one or two....and why (the sample provided listed education as a component.... my group did not accept that as valid)

von

I suppose it had to happen.  It is a philosophy class.  "What is the good life?"  This too shall pass.     :sigh2:

I suppose that what constitutes a "good life" would vary between people. But typically, I'm guessing most people would respond with 10 common or similar answers; Health, wealth, and happiness. Family, friends, and a loving mate. Contentment, achievement, purpose, and a passion for life.  

But being a weirdo, I don't subscribe to all that b.s, because my religiosity demands more; "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" (Matthew 16:26). So while the 10 things I listed may quantify as a "good life", for myself it would not suffice, because as I opined in another thread, life without inspiration does not provide true peace of mind. "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28)  

Imo, you can have it all, but there will always be an empty void in your soul until your true destination is realized. "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever" (1 John 2:15-17). This to me, would be the definition of a life well spent.

“After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.” - Star Trek, Spock

6 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I suppose it had to happen.  It is a philosophy class.  "What is the good life?"  This too shall pass.     :sigh2:

:lol: I gotta say I am not enjoying this class as much as I had hoped.    The group got pretty bogged down on “freedom”.... half the group was adamant that is one of the components.  But they struggled to give a concrete reason.     The majority vote narrowed it to free will instead.    

The one one I did not expect was “ a sense of humor”....

von

4 hours ago, Dan56 said:

“After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.” - Star Trek, Spock

Thanks for the candor.   I really liked the Spock quote.    ;)

The group did add morality as a a critical component.    (And quoted Yoda from Star Wars).....it was something about “the forces” and avoiding the temptation of the dark side.   That was as close as we got for spirituality as a component.

i was surprised food, shelter, and beauty did not make the list.   I argued for beauty but it was not in the majority.   I argued hard against money....and we dropped it but not till the last ten minutes.

von

58 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

I argued hard against money....and we dropped it but not till the last ten minutes

A man who thinks he needs money is like a man who thinks he needs a hammer. What he really needs is the realization that there is more than one tool that can do the job.

A man who thinks he doesnt need beauty is like a man who thinks he doesn't need dental care. Let him go long enough without it and he'll change his mind.

If you think about it, you can substitute mobility for shelter and achieve the same results, because shelter is only needed if you aren't somewhere hospitable....

Edited by mererdog

Civilization requires a common language, a shared commitment to a social structure, and an econcomic surplus. Everything else is details, situational necessities, and gravy. While I do not believe that civilization is necessary for a good life, I do believe it holds clues for what humans need.

A common language allows us to connect with one another. As social animals, this is vital to our long-term health. 

A shared commitment to a social order provides us with a sense of connection to the future and to "something bigger than ourselves". It provides us with purpose, and with confidence in our ability to cooperate with others. Important stuff.

An economic surplus provides the ability to look beyond the problems of the day. It provides free time for rest, or play, or esoteric research. It also provides assurances that our children will survive the winter, allowing us the emotional room to enjoy the summer. But note that an economic surplus is not about money. Its about stockpiles of grain, but also the knowledge of how to make bread. It is about what you have available, but mostly about what you have the ability to do with it 

Edited by mererdog

2 hours ago, VonNoble said:

:lol: I gotta say I am not enjoying this class as much as I had hoped.    The group got pretty bogged down on “freedom”.... half the group was adamant that is one of the components.  But they struggled to give a concrete reason.     The majority vote narrowed it to free will instead.    

The one one I did not expect was “ a sense of humor”....

von

When the novelty wears off, it will be replaced by tedium.  Be patient.  It gets worse.       :mellow:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

3 hours ago, mererdog said:

A man who thinks he needs money is like a man who thinks he needs a hammer. What he really needs is the realization that there is more than one tool that can do the job.

A man who thinks he doesnt need beauty is like a man who thinks he doesn't need dental care. Let him go long enough without it and he'll change his mind.

If you think about it, you can substitute mobility for shelter and achieve the same results, because shelter is only needed if you aren't somewhere hospitable....

I rather enjoyed your support of the beauty and money issues.

Since we had to keep the components universal....we could not come up with any place risk free of environmental issues.... so shelter got put in and taken off the list a couple of times.... your wider view is helpful.   Next class all of the groups will have to merge our lists into one perfect list.     I am sort of wondering what the entire class together voted for.... what did the larger group of 20-something’s decide...

von

I rather enjoyed your support of the beauty and money issues.

Since we had to keep the components universal....we could not come up with any place risk free of environmental issues.... so shelter got put in and taken off the list a couple of times.... your wider view is helpful.   Next class all of the groups will have to merge our lists into one perfect list.     I am sort of wondering what the entire class together voted for.... what did the larger group of 20-something’s decide...

von

It is a set up from the beginning. Environment is universal. The universe itself is environment. Unfair parameters.

41 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

It is a set up from the beginning. Environment is universal. The universe itself is environment. Unfair parameters.

:blink:

I presume this very enthused professor is fully aware on a room full of newbies ....that none of us would remotely catch structure issues. :mellow:

A third of our group is worried about this class as they are scholarship recipients and unlike their other classes related to their major(where they are far more comfortable and interested) .... this classes had them anxious.    Another third is reasonably assured of passing with a “c” or higher and not too concerned (serious whatever attitude).... and rest are  VERY lost.    

None of us ever considered the work problems were “engineered” for a stacked deck.   

We pretty much are just racing the clock with any answer right now:D

.... deep think is not happening for any of us ^_^ 

thanks for the thought .... maybe by June we will have mastered which way is up...

von 

Since we had to keep the components universal....we could not come up with any place risk free of environmental issues.... so shelter got put in and taken off the list a couple of times....

Consider the difference between "having shelter" and "having the ability to shelter."

3 hours ago, VonNoble said:

:blink:

I presume this very enthused professor is fully aware on a room full of newbies ....that none of us would remotely catch structure issues. :mellow:

A third of our group is worried about this class as they are scholarship recipients and unlike their other classes related to their major(where they are far more comfortable and interested) .... this classes had them anxious.    Another third is reasonably assured of passing with a “c” or higher and not too concerned (serious whatever attitude).... and rest are  VERY lost.    

None of us ever considered the work problems were “engineered” for a stacked deck.   

We pretty much are just racing the clock with any answer right now:D

.... deep think is not happening for any of us ^_^ 

thanks for the thought .... maybe by June we will have mastered which way is up...

von 

Had to break it to you, my friend, but nobody ever mastered philosophy. Folks have gotten degrees in it, yes, but it isn't limited by that and therefore isn't ever truly mastered.

There are thoughts that have been considered before, but there haven't been considered the thoughts that have yet to come.