I gave up trying to understand Native religions when I saw an exhibit on "Chiefing" in Cherokee, North Carolina. As a white guy, it seems silly to think that I can sort the real from the fake, the authentic from the bastardized. Frankly, I'm not even sure anyone can. Memories are short, so many were killed, and so much was burned and tilled under. So many small assimilations were made in the name of survival. And so many found easy money selling pretty stories and pictures to ignorant tourists.

25 minutes ago, mererdog said:

I gave up trying to understand Native religions when I saw an exhibit on "Chiefing" in Cherokee, North Carolina. As a white guy, it seems silly to think that I can sort the real from the fake, the authentic from the bastardized. Frankly, I'm not even sure anyone can. Memories are short, so many were killed, and so much was burned and tilled under. So many small assimilations were made in the name of survival. And so many found easy money selling pretty stories and pictures to ignorant tourists.

I'm inclined to agree.  People who have a real connection to the culture, might be able to tell the difference.  The parts available to outsiders, stinks of New Age and fraud.  

Maybe you remember the fad, back in the seventies, Westerners going to India to find themselves?  History repeats.