Opening the door to a new year...

On 12/12/2017 at 6:12 AM, cuchulain said:

i find it interesting for people to feel reverence on the arbitrary day the calendar changes...its not ingrained enough for me i guess. :) 

Perhaps I did not word that opening the most effectively. 

In this society - there seems to be a push to pause and reflect at the end of the year.   

For example the media runs programs noting who (of significance in their view) (famous people) died over the last year. 

There is the whole new year's resolution (fitness and diet) deluge of stuff at the end of the year.   So none of that is necessarily tied to a spiritual component. 

However, the triggers of hype around many cause them to stop and pause and think about life.  They may not do this formally. But often it causes a moment of reflection.   (...it does not require a sudden surge of reverence to  be part of all that so if that was the implication I did not do a very good job of explaining it)

I am curious as even the process of going through the holidays which often includes large gatherings with families and friends and too, quiet reflection for many - in all of that  - (or even without it) - --  for who or what do you feel reverence.   You might feel it any time  - or all the time. 

So it is not a quick change at the end of the year - it might be more a spiritual housekeeping moment for some.     

ANY day of the year - - now even if you know without reflection....for whom or what do you feel reverence. 

(hope that clears up the question.....) 

von.  

On 12/12/2017 at 7:07 AM, mark 45 said:

none of the above.now respect is an entirely different ball game.

Really?    Nothing in the world causes a sense of reverence? 

That is entirely possible so I thank you for the answer. 

Reverence beyond religion is possible.

Just a thought.

von

On 12/12/2017 at 9:52 PM, Dan56 said:

For who he is and what he did... Christ, Jesus of course... And that reverence is everyday, not just the start of a new year.

Everyday?   Entirely possible.  

Does the daily "feeling" include a ritual (specific) that triggers or evokes the feeling?

von

4 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Really?    Nothing in the world causes a sense of reverence? 

That is entirely possible so I thank you for the answer. 

Reverence beyond religion is possible.

Just a thought.

von

yes von it is.but for me,reverence has to many strings attached.respect is something someone has earned.

now are there things in the universe that cause me to stop and wonder?everyday.

2 hours ago, mark 45 said:

yes von it is.but for me,reverence has to many strings attached.respect is something someone has earned.

now are there things in the universe that cause me to stop and wonder?everyday.

I understand and appreciate your candor.   In your past did you one time feel reverence?

von

5 minutes ago, Dan56 said:

No... Its not a ritual at all, nor an emotionally charged feeling, but a reverence permanently ingrained in my persona. 

Forgive the question if it is impertinent or foolish.....I am trying to understand.

your response tracks perfectly with my understanding if the term as I learned it years ago.

if it is a “ permanent “ or constant ... or given feeling...  however improperly phrased this may be...does it at any point raise up?  I can only guess if the word awe or something like that kicks in from time to time?

thank you

von

On 12/15/2017 at 5:31 PM, mark 45 said:

when i was much younger.then i grew up.

:D...good answer

I am familiar with the text book definitions of the word.....but as a practical matter I am trying to distinguish "the feeling" 

or the differentiation of the feelings......between wonder/awe (and reverence)

The confusion may be only in my understanding or experience of the words.  I don't know.   If they are blurred in my mind (which is exactly which) - the text book definitions are not doing all that much to help me determine a distinct difference.  Maybe there is none?

Any insight there would be appreciated. 

von

I suppose if pushed, I would have to say time itself.  At the end(operatively speaking) of the year, so many people ask "what's your resolution this year?" or, "What did you accomplish this year" or some variable...that it seems almost inevitable that I begin thinking about time itself.  Days gone by revisit for pleasant dreams, or nightmares.  Days of now hold a sense of stability, a place in time where I can stop and say to myself that I need to take a breath and think things through.  Times to come offer unknown quantities of adventure, whether for good or ill, and eventual surcease altogether from the pains of life as well as the pleasures.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:58 AM, cuchulain said:

I suppose if pushed, I would have to say time itself.  At the end(operatively speaking) of the year, so many people ask "what's your resolution this year?" or, "What did you accomplish this year" or some variable...that it seems almost inevitable that I begin thinking about time itself.  Days gone by revisit for pleasant dreams, or nightmares.  Days of now hold a sense of stability, a place in time where I can stop and say to myself that I need to take a breath and think things through.  Times to come offer unknown quantities of adventure, whether for good or ill, and eventual surcease altogether from the pains of life as well as the pleasures.

Seems you certainly .... in that pause....included ain that wise respite ... that reflection a reverence of some fashion

Good for you -so should we all

thx

von