Sign in to follow this  
VonNoble

What are they thinking (the deities) .....

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, mark 45 said:

batman didn't have super powers,just some neat toys.

Sure he did, he was super rich and had the power of persuasion. How that even worked, I have nooo idea. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Key said:

Sure he did, he was super rich and had the power of persuasion. How that even worked, I have nooo idea. :lol:

His greatest weapon was fear, which he knew most criminals were victims of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Key said:

Sure he did, he was super rich and had the power of persuasion. How that even worked, I have nooo idea. :lol:

 

In his own way, Batman is just as ludicrous as his super power associates.

 

Master of all martial arts,  master forensic science, master pilot, master diver, master medical researcher, master chemist, master gymnast, Master Computer Science, master race car driver, master of personal flight devices, master dancer, master medic/healer -- and richer than Midas -- all women want him -- I know I left off some of his skill sets.  It is pure fantasy.  Just not the same fantasy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

In his own way, Batman is just as ludicrous as his super power associates.

 

Master of all martial arts,  master forensic science, master pilot, master diver, master medical researcher, master chemist, master gymnast, Master Computer Science, master race car driver, master of personal flight devices, master dancer, master medic/healer -- and richer than Midas -- all women want him -- I know I left off some of his skill sets.  It is pure fantasy.  Just not the same fantasy.

Truly a Supreme Being, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

In his own way, Batman is just as ludicrous as his super power associates.

 

Master of all martial arts,  master forensic science, master pilot, master diver, master medical researcher, master chemist, master gymnast, Master Computer Science, master race car driver, master of personal flight devices, master dancer, master medic/healer -- and richer than Midas -- all women want him -- I know I left off some of his skill sets.  It is pure fantasy.  Just not the same fantasy.

there is a celtic tale about a man trying to enter something of a closed community.  they ask what he can do, and he says he's a warrior.  they have lots of those, so he says hes a builder. it goes through a long list like that, and eventually he says ah... do you have anyone with ALL those skills, and they let him in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 8:19 AM, cuchulain said:

there is a celtic tale about a man trying to enter something of a closed community.  they ask what he can do, and he says he's a warrior.  they have lots of those, so he says hes a builder. it goes through a long list like that, and eventually he says ah... do you have anyone with ALL those skills, and they let him in.

 

Yes.  I think that sums up Batman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

Yes.  I think that sums up Batman.

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

 

To quote Bruce Wayne, when he is asked by the Flash in "Justice League" what his super power is, he summed them up in two words, "I'm rich,"

 

In Solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

 

To quote Bruce Wayne, when he is asked by the Flash in "Justice League" what his super power is, he summed them up in two words, "I'm rich,"

 

In Solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

Amusing, but there is more to it than that.  Great wealth means that instruction is available.  Martial arts, race car driving, scuba diving, gymnastics, advanced chemistry, escape arts and all the rest of it.  He still had to master everything.  EVERYTHING.  This is the fantasy part.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D  I am sort of wondering if gods existed and they sat around and chatted one another up (I have no idea why they would do that) - but

if they did.....I am inclined to think that they would conclude - they had very little influence on mankind.   Whatever they have done to either inspire or punish mankind seems to be of no avail.    In general mankind as a species has not evolved much thus far. :blink:

 

Without some leap in behavior by humankind - the impetus of the gods - (to whatever end they might have hoped) - seems ineffective. 

 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 2:37 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

Yes.  I think that sums up Batman.

Yes, but also he's a bit stupid according to the Batman vs Superman movie. Who goes against a being that is both virtually invulnerable, except to kryptonite, and potentially deadly wearing armor to protect from injury but leaves his face (or chin, I should say) exposed? A single finger flick from Superman could render a fractured jaw, or jam up said jaw to fracture skull or penetrate brain to seriously injure or kill.

You can answer that Superman isn't a killer, but Batman's mindset at the time was that he was or could be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VonNoble said:

:D  I am sort of wondering if gods existed and they sat around and chatted one another up (I have no idea why they would do that) - but

if they did.....I am inclined to think that they would conclude - they had very little influence on mankind.   Whatever they have done to either inspire or punish mankind seems to be of no avail.    In general mankind as a species has not evolved much thus far. :blink:

 

Without some leap in behavior by humankind - the impetus of the gods - (to whatever end they might have hoped) - seems ineffective. 

 

von

 

Norse, Greek, Egyptian, etc mythology is complex stuff.  Of course the gods talk with each other.  They have whole, complex cultures of their own.

 

Of course, the gods in these mythologies interact with the Human world.  That does not mean that they are intent on controlling or changing us.  Only that they interact.

 

In Norse mythology, they are gathering the Human heroes to Valhalla, where they are in reserve for the final battle at Ragnorock.  The end of the world.  Thor and Loki have adventures in the Human realm -- and other places.  None of them are trying to control us.  They have their own lives and their own concerns.  The Norse gods are much more concerned with the Frost Giants than they are with us.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

Norse, Greek, Egyptian, etc mythology is complex stuff.  Of course the gods talk with each other.  They have whole, complex cultures of their own.

 

Of course, the gods in these mythologies interact with the Human world.  That does not mean that they are intent on controlling or changing us.  Only that they interact.

 

In Norse mythology, they are gathering the Human heroes to Valhalla, where they are in reserve for the final battle at Ragnorock.  The end of the world.  Thor and Loki have adventures in the Human realm -- and other places.  None of them are trying to control us.  They have their own lives and their own concerns.  The Norse gods are much more concerned with the Frost Giants than they are with us.  

 

 

Well now that does put it a wider view... thank you.

 

Mosty, what I know about mythology is limited.... but it seemed gods were either daming people for all eternity for some slight or offense.... punishing people hideously.... sending them off on epic journeys or battles....or some how having secmx with virgins or comely maidens to birth half human kids.....

 

Being more concerned with frost giants or even one another is comforting.    The seemed to be mucking around in our freewill a bit too much for my comfort :D

... it is better to know they have other toys and interests.

 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VonNoble said:

:D  I am sort of wondering if gods existed and they sat around and chatted one another up (I have no idea why they would do that) - but

if they did.....I am inclined to think that they would conclude - they had very little influence on mankind.   Whatever they have done to either inspire or punish mankind seems to be of no avail.    In general mankind as a species has not evolved much thus far. :blink:

 

Without some leap in behavior by humankind - the impetus of the gods - (to whatever end they might have hoped) - seems ineffective. 

 

von

the video i alluded to ended with a "human women"explaining that humanism was becoming the dominant  belief system(religion?)in the world.therefore the need for deities was becoming less and less.

 

or as jonathon said,they have other concerns than us ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mark 45 said:

the video i alluded to ended with a "human women"explaining that humanism was becoming the dominant  belief system(religion?)in the world.therefore the need for deities was becoming less and less.

 

or as jonathon said,they have other concerns than us ;).

 

Thank you.    I too see the numbers moving from religion per se.....I am curious if reverence exists independent of religion?

 

Again thanks for your input.

 

von

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VonNoble said:

 

Thank you.    I too see the numbers moving from religion per se.....I am curious if reverence exists independent of religion?

 

Again thanks for your input.

 

von

 

 

Most of us revere our selves. That accounts for our survival instinct. Some revere themselves because they know there is no G/god before them or above them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Well now that does put it a wider view... thank you.

 

Mosty, what I know about mythology is limited.... but it seemed gods were either daming people for all eternity for some slight or offense.... punishing people hideously.... sending them off on epic journeys or battles....or some how having secmx with virgins or comely maidens to birth half human kids.....

 

Being more concerned with frost giants or even one another is comforting.    The seemed to be mucking around in our freewill a bit too much for my comfort :D

... it is better to know they have other toys and interests.

 

von

 

 

Comforting?  Maybe you don't know the story of Ragnorock.  As I recall it...........

 

In the first year, it never stops snowing.  There is famine.

 

In the second year, it's still snowing.  Famine has been joined by plague.

 

In the third year, it starts getting bad.  The last pitiful remnants of Humanity are surviving by eating each other.  There is no other food.

 

In the fourth year, the Frost Giants attack.  The heroes in Valhalla are sent into the battle.  Thor and the Mitgard Serpent kill each other.  Most of the gods die.

 

I'm vague about how long this continues.  When it's over, the cycle begins anew with two people, a man and a woman, that Father Odhin had stashed away for just such an emergency.

 

Comfort you say?  The old gods were not always comforting.  When you're ready, I must tell you  about the ancient and venerable Sekhment of Egypt.  The lion headed goddess.  Now, that's one scary deity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VonNoble said:

 

Thank you.    I too see the numbers moving from religion per se.....I am curious if reverence exists independent of religion?

 

Again thanks for your input.

 

von

 

 

 

 

The old gods have changes in name and form, but they never quite go away.  Mother Nature looks a lot like the Old Earth Goddess.  Look around.  Lady Luck, Old Man Winter, Father Time, Death  -- plenty of others -- still with us.  Some of them don't change at all.  Cupid is still Cupid.  

 

Look at the new gods being taught to children.  Look at Santa.

 

"He's making a list, checking it twice, he always knows who's naughty and nice........."

"He knows when you are sleeping.  He knows when you're awake.........."

 

Not just a scary old man with a big beard, flying around the sky.  Much like old Yaweh, rewarding good children and punishing the bad.  

 

Ho Ho Ho.

 

 

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

Most of us revere our selves. That accounts for our survival instinct. Some revere themselves because they know there is no G/god before them or above them.

 

I am happy to see this answer.   

I too believe to revere oneself is very important - however - there is something about saying so out loud that

causes people to look askance a bit....so I do not say such things out loud. 

 

There is somehow a negative take away by some if you say such a thing (that I do not fully understand) 

but I DO SEE that reaction. 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

 

Comforting?  Maybe you don't know the story of Ragnorock.  As I recall it...........

 

In the first year, it never stops snowing.  There is famine.

 

In the second year, it's still snowing.  Famine has been joined by plague.

 

In the third year, it starts getting bad.  The last pitiful remnants of Humanity are surviving by eating each other.  There is no other food.

 

In the fourth year, the Frost Giants attack.  The heroes in Valhalla are sent into the battle.  Thor and the Mitgard Serpent kill each other.  Most of the gods die.

 

I'm vague about how long this continues.  When it's over, the cycle begins anew with two people, a man and a woman, that Father Odhin had stashed away for just such an emergency.

 

Comfort you say?  The old gods were not always comforting.  When you're ready, I must tell you  about the ancient and venerable Sekhment of Egypt.  The lion headed goddess.  Now, that's one scary deity.  

 

I had not one clue about the story of Ragnorock....I am not sure I ever heard of it beyond a recent scan of the movie selection.   

I thought it was a made up word when I read it.    So little did I know.

 

My notation of comfort began and ended with the reassurance that that table full of imaginary table full of gods chatting was not 

interested in humans so much.  That version of things was comforting to me over the meddling and demanding version I had

heretofore so often encountered. 

 

;) gods minding their own business and allowing me to go forth in peace was a refreshing and comforting idea. 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this