What are they thinking (the deities) .....

VonNoble

If there were to be a Mt. Olympus sort of place....and the Gods/Goddesses and all the supreme beings 

(that actually have a significant following on the planet earth)....this excludes celebrities, politicians, and

any human types......

If they were to gather for a meal at the end of the year (or whatever deities do to socialize)

.....what would the conversation look like (or who would be included in the gathering?

Even though WE have limited knowledge - for example - would there only be one being there by 

known by many names......

....would there be more than one

If there was more than one - would they be surprised to find out there are others in existence?

Would the entities gather moan about their fate?  Complain about the unruly humans?

What might happen?

It assumed that being Supreme Beings they would not resort to name calling and arguments.

von

4 hours ago, VonNoble said:

If there were to be a Mt. Olympus sort of place....and the Gods/Goddesses and all the supreme beings 

(that actually have a significant following on the planet earth)....this excludes celebrities, politicians, and

any human types......

If they were to gather for a meal at the end of the year (or whatever deities do to socialize)

.....what would the conversation look like (or who would be included in the gathering?

Even though WE have limited knowledge - for example - would there only be one being there by 

If there was more than one - would they be surprised to find out there are others in existence?

Would the entities gather moan about their fate?  Complain about the unruly humans?

What might happen?

It assumed that being Supreme Beings they would not resort to name calling and arguments.

von

Why are you assuming that gods and goddesses, would in any way, be "supreme beings"?  

9 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Why are you assuming that gods and goddesses, would in any way, be "supreme beings"?  

I Googled deity :)

....it was indicated as being a component of being a deity.....which also lists equal opportunity by way of gender ( god or goddess) even though I have never been sure about god-God-hides actually needing a gender..?

i guess that hinges on the power to create life without gender being an issue (or not)

von

2 hours ago, VonNoble said:

I Googled deity :)

....it was indicated as being a component of being a deity.....which also lists equal opportunity by way of gender ( god or goddess) even though I have never been sure about god-God-hides actually needing a gender..?

i guess that hinges on the power to create life without gender being an issue (or not)

von

My concern here is not gender bias.  I'm talking about the hot steaming pile of cultural bias, that has Monotheists defining "the gods".    Why are we starting with the assumption, that the gods are "supreme beings"?   Is that really how Polytheists see their gods? 

The original question also makes silly assumptions about harmony among the gods.  Mythology suggests otherwise.  

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

9 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

My concern here is not gender bias.  I'm talking about the hot steaming pile of cultural bias, that has Monotheists defining "the gods".    Why are we starting with the assumption, that the gods are "supreme beings"?   Is that really how Polytheists see their gods?  

:rolleyes:

My guess, man often does not see a deity being an equal or lower on the ladder of power and knowledge. Hence the supreme, meaning greater.

The Norse gods, for example, were given human emotions and turmoil for man to emphasize understanding of the stories, yet they were also given abilities and intellect that man did not then or ever have. (Even today.)

18 minutes ago, Key said:

My guess, man often does not see a deity being an equal or lower on the ladder of power and knowledge. Hence the supreme, meaning greater.

The Norse gods, for example, were given human emotions and turmoil for man to emphasize understanding of the stories, yet they were also given abilities and intellect that man did not then or ever have. (Even today.)

I understand "supreme" in a different way.  Supreme is not only greater.  Supreme is final.

Consider the court system.  There are different layers of judicial authority.  The Supreme Court has the final say.

tried to find a video from new zeeland concerning a gathering of the"gods"(did you know l ron hubbard is considered a god?)anyway,can't find it.

but as jonathon would say,"the gods are allusary.but when we ask they help anyway".(i still think it's a line of bull,but whatever).

2 hours ago, mark 45 said:

tried to find a video from new zeeland concerning a gathering of the"gods"(did you know l ron hubbard is considered a god?)anyway,can't find it.

but as jonathon would say,"the gods are allusary.but when we ask they help anyway".(i still think it's a line of bull,but whatever).

The video that you're looking for is a commercial for lamb -- "the meat everyone can eat."  I thought it was funny.  The followers of Ganesh, the elephant headed god, took offense and had it removed from Youtube.

I was quoting a Buddhist monk.  "The gods are illusory, but if we ask them for assistance, they will help us anyway."  Buddhism has much to say on the subject of illusion.  At least the Buddhists have a sense of humor.  

My favorite alleged quote from Buddha is:  "Fire is hot.  Ice is cold.  All the gods in all the heavens won't change this."

4 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I understand "supreme" in a different way.  Supreme is not only greater.  Supreme is final.

Consider the court system.  There are different layers of judicial authority.  The Supreme Court has the final say.

Even in the court system, there are levels of supreme. There are the municipal, state, and federal. The federal is the ultimate end.

22 hours ago, VonNoble said:

any human types......

What might happen?

von

Seems to be an exercise in creating the G/gods in our own image once again.

1 hour ago, Brother Kaman said:

Seems to be an exercise in creating the G/gods in our own image once again.

I agree, except for the once again part.  Humanity has always created their gods.  Even now, in a time when Monotheism dominates -- who or what is Mother Nature?  A personification.  Old Man Winter?  A personification.  Jack Frost?  All they need is a priesthood and we have gods. 

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

2 hours ago, Key said:

Even in the court system, there are levels of supreme. There are the municipal, state, and federal. The federal is the ultimate end.

That helps make my point.  There is no reason to refer to "the gods" as "supreme beings".  It would make sense to refer to "God" -- singular with capital G -- as the supreme being.  It assumes God as the one and only.  The moment we have two, they can't both be supreme.  There can only be one supreme.  

I really don't want to come off as a grammar police.  I'm only explaining my reasoning.

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

That helps make my point.  There is no reason to refer to "the gods" as "supreme beings".  It would make sense to refer to "God" -- singular with capital G -- as the supreme being.  It assumes God as the one and only.  The moment we have two, they can't both be supreme.  There can only be one supreme.  

I really don't want to come off as a grammar police.  I'm only explaining my reasoning.

Think of it as the Justice League where they all have the same superpowers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I see your point. But when looking from the view I previously shared, one could view "supreme beings" as sentient forms evolved to higher understanding and abilities, (or higher on the evolutionary scale, if one believed in that theory). In this string, there can be a species devoted to being supreme in comparison to man. Thus, allowing more than one.

Man seen capitalized would lead one to assume an entire species or life form, thus God might also.

Edited by Key
Adding thought.

3 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

Think of it as the Justice League where they all have the same superpowers.

But they don't all have the same powers.  Consider the Norse gods.  Father Odin is wise.  The Mighty Thor is easily tricked -- and Idun is "the sweet and simple".  

21 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

The moment we have two, they can't both be supreme.

Not quite. You can only have one supreme individual per category of individuals, but you can also have a category of individuals that is supreme.

Cookies are the best kind of food.

Oreos are the best kind of cookie.

The Oreo in my hand is the best Oreo.

If no other kind of being is equal to or greater than gods, gods are supreme beings. If one god is superior to all other gods, that god is the supreme being.

Edited by mererdog