Respect for nature so ...well...natural

Now that I have returned to the Western part of the USA.....I am more frequently able to interact with Native Americans.   It came to my attention earlier today that during the recent eclipse many citizens raced to see the "once in a lifetime" event.   However cultural norms, of course differ.   The Native Americans of the area did just the opposite.   

It is considered a sacred moment...if I understood it correctly - it is a four -hour event of the sun and moon in communications like no other time.   The tribal members not only avoided seeing the eclipse they remained inside and sat quietly for the entire four hours (no eating or drinking, using electronics, or other busy work) - it was strictly quiet, meditative, prayerful time for the entire family.   Tribal schools were closed.  Those attending university that could not get home - did not go to class but rather sat quietly in their dorm room. 

I was not aware of this practice but it struck me as very much in keeping with a way to honor and pay respect to the natural order. 

Your thoughts? 

von

7 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Now that I have returned to the Western part of the USA.....I am more frequently able to interact with Native Americans.   It came to my attention earlier today that during the recent eclipse many citizens raced to see the "once in a lifetime" event.   However cultural norms, of course differ.   The Native Americans of the area did just the opposite.   

It is considered a sacred moment...if I understood it correctly - it is a four -hour event of the sun and moon in communications like no other time.   The tribal members not only avoided seeing the eclipse they remained inside and sat quietly for the entire four hours (no eating or drinking, using electronics, or other busy work) - it was strictly quiet, meditative, prayerful time for the entire family.   Tribal schools were closed.  Those attending university that could not get home - did not go to class but rather sat quietly in their dorm room. 

I was not aware of this practice but it struck me as very much in keeping with a way to honor and pay respect to the natural order. 

Your thoughts? 

von

It seems like a charming idea.  I'm not drawn to it -- but alright.  

9 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Your thoughts? 

von

The Indians I hang out with are happy to view a once in a lifetime eclipse. Mostly Catholic, Protestant and agnostic. I see your experience much like an encounter with white man Druids and the such. 

Edited by Brother Kaman
11 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

The Indians I hang out with are happy to view a once in a lifetime eclipse. Mostly Catholic, Protestant and agnostic. I see your experience much like an encounter with white man Druids and the such. 

Thx for your response.    I’ mot sure I quite follow the white man Druids reference tho?

von

7 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

Thx for your response.    I’ mot sure I quite follow the white man Druids reference tho?

von

Because Indians were hunter gatherers, many feel today that they are closer to the earth and have a greater connection than the rest of us regular folks. The Druids also had an ancient Earth based spiritualism. Go back far enough and we all did at one point. That does not make us or anyone any more special today than the Pope. I do not understand why staying inside a building during the eclipse without electronic devices is honoring nature any more than being outside enjoying the spectacle. 

4 hours ago, Brother Kaman said:

Because Indians were hunter gatherers, many feel today that they are closer to the earth and have a greater connection than the rest of us regular folks. The Druids also had an ancient Earth based spiritualism. Go back far enough and we all did at one point. That does not make us or anyone any more special today than the Pope. I do not understand why staying inside a building during the eclipse without electronic devices is honoring nature any more than being outside enjoying the spectacle. 

...Thank you very much.... I understand now.     I would wonder the same as you on that point.    Too I find I do not often “get” the point of many rituals... 

thx  again ... von