On 12/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, cuchulain said:

Removal of a dead cat isn't that big a problem.  Removal of a preacher on my door step is likewise not that big a problem.  I simply tell them I am not interested and close the door, and they go away.

I didn't say that they were a problem.  I said that they stink the place up.

I am considering leaving the statue out there on the wall, in full view AFTER the holidays.

If the statue is offensive.  It ought not be.  At least it ought not be in this country. 

If the hat caused the offense - there may be some slice of Buddhism that could take offense - but after careful reflection and research - it would seem that would be a minority opinion.  Still if it were a problem for someone routinely having to pass this way (I still have no idea who that woman was or where she lives.....never have seen her again) ....but if there is a chance it would be a problem for someone passing this way - I likely would not put the hat on it again next year.    

I can tell you one reason why I would put the hat on again in spite of any hoopla over it.  There is one person in the world that means more to me than life itself......and if THAT person is amused by it - that one opinion weighs far more to me than a stranger's or even propriety itself.   If that one person most important to me in the world - expressed a bit of happy over this issue - that statue will be out there wearing bunny ears, sunglasses or whatever else brings a smile.   I need not be logical (merely legal).... and should it happen it mattered to one important person in my life - that would be all it took.  

THAT IS NOT reality - but it would quickly become reality.    When (and if)  you are handed an expiration date in life - or worse yet someone you care for and NEED is handed an expiration date - it snaps petty nonsense the heck out of your sense of reason.  You do what you can every time you can to make the path as comfortable as you can.  I am not saying that is the case this year - but I can say with certainty after a few rounds of close calls - that would be the one criteria that would cause me to be FAR less concerned about giving offense.   

von 

43 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

I am considering leaving the statue out there on the wall, in full view AFTER the holidays.

If the statue is offensive.  It ought not be.  At least it ought not be in this country. 

If the hat caused the offense - there may be some slice of Buddhism that could take offense - but after careful reflection and research - it would seem that would be a minority opinion.  Still if it were a problem for someone routinely having to pass this way (I still have no idea who that woman was or where she lives.....never have seen her again) ....but if there is a chance it would be a problem for someone passing this way - I likely would not put the hat on it again next year.    

I can tell you one reason why I would put the hat on again in spite of any hoopla over it.  There is one person in the world that means more to me than life itself......and if THAT person is amused by it - that one opinion weighs far more to me than a stranger's or even propriety itself.   If that one person most important to me in the world - expressed a bit of happy over this issue - that statue will be out there wearing bunny ears, sunglasses or whatever else brings a smile.   I need not be logical (merely legal).... and should it happen it mattered to one important person in my life - that would be all it took.  

THAT IS NOT reality - but it would quickly become reality.    When (and if)  you are handed an expiration date in life - or worse yet someone you care for and NEED is handed an expiration date - it snaps petty nonsense the heck out of your sense of reason.  You do what you can every time you can to make the path as comfortable as you can.  I am not saying that is the case this year - but I can say with certainty after a few rounds of close calls - that would be the one criteria that would cause me to be FAR less concerned about giving offense.   

von 

Here's a thought for you.  Maybe the "offense" had nothing at all to do with the Santa hat.  Maybe the entire offense had to do with displaying a Buddhist statue, at Christmas time.  Or any non-Christian artifact at Christmas time.  Such is the nature of Christian cultural dominance. -- and Christian intolerance for others.  All others.  The thing that causes many Christians to hate Atheists.  And Jews.  As in -- "How dare you not believe in our God."

The time has come to grow a spine and not swallow their crap.  If need be -- to flip them off.  

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl