Upset about the statue

On 12/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, cuchulain said:

Removal of a dead cat isn't that big a problem.  Removal of a preacher on my door step is likewise not that big a problem.  I simply tell them I am not interested and close the door, and they go away.

I didn't say that they were a problem.  I said that they stink the place up.

I am considering leaving the statue out there on the wall, in full view AFTER the holidays.

If the statue is offensive.  It ought not be.  At least it ought not be in this country. 

If the hat caused the offense - there may be some slice of Buddhism that could take offense - but after careful reflection and research - it would seem that would be a minority opinion.  Still if it were a problem for someone routinely having to pass this way (I still have no idea who that woman was or where she lives.....never have seen her again) ....but if there is a chance it would be a problem for someone passing this way - I likely would not put the hat on it again next year.    

I can tell you one reason why I would put the hat on again in spite of any hoopla over it.  There is one person in the world that means more to me than life itself......and if THAT person is amused by it - that one opinion weighs far more to me than a stranger's or even propriety itself.   If that one person most important to me in the world - expressed a bit of happy over this issue - that statue will be out there wearing bunny ears, sunglasses or whatever else brings a smile.   I need not be logical (merely legal).... and should it happen it mattered to one important person in my life - that would be all it took.  

THAT IS NOT reality - but it would quickly become reality.    When (and if)  you are handed an expiration date in life - or worse yet someone you care for and NEED is handed an expiration date - it snaps petty nonsense the heck out of your sense of reason.  You do what you can every time you can to make the path as comfortable as you can.  I am not saying that is the case this year - but I can say with certainty after a few rounds of close calls - that would be the one criteria that would cause me to be FAR less concerned about giving offense.   

von 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

I am considering leaving the statue out there on the wall, in full view AFTER the holidays.

If the statue is offensive.  It ought not be.  At least it ought not be in this country. 

If the hat caused the offense - there may be some slice of Buddhism that could take offense - but after careful reflection and research - it would seem that would be a minority opinion.  Still if it were a problem for someone routinely having to pass this way (I still have no idea who that woman was or where she lives.....never have seen her again) ....but if there is a chance it would be a problem for someone passing this way - I likely would not put the hat on it again next year.    

I can tell you one reason why I would put the hat on again in spite of any hoopla over it.  There is one person in the world that means more to me than life itself......and if THAT person is amused by it - that one opinion weighs far more to me than a stranger's or even propriety itself.   If that one person most important to me in the world - expressed a bit of happy over this issue - that statue will be out there wearing bunny ears, sunglasses or whatever else brings a smile.   I need not be logical (merely legal).... and should it happen it mattered to one important person in my life - that would be all it took.  

THAT IS NOT reality - but it would quickly become reality.    When (and if)  you are handed an expiration date in life - or worse yet someone you care for and NEED is handed an expiration date - it snaps petty nonsense the heck out of your sense of reason.  You do what you can every time you can to make the path as comfortable as you can.  I am not saying that is the case this year - but I can say with certainty after a few rounds of close calls - that would be the one criteria that would cause me to be FAR less concerned about giving offense.   

von 

Here's a thought for you.  Maybe the "offense" had nothing at all to do with the Santa hat.  Maybe the entire offense had to do with displaying a Buddhist statue, at Christmas time.  Or any non-Christian artifact at Christmas time.  Such is the nature of Christian cultural dominance. -- and Christian intolerance for others.  All others.  The thing that causes many Christians to hate Atheists.  And Jews.  As in -- "How dare you not believe in our God."

The time has come to grow a spine and not swallow their crap.  If need be -- to flip them off.  

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 5:47 AM, VonNoble said:

von 

I replaced the original statue in question as it was selected strictly on the basis of hat size.  Not the best reason beyond seasonal expediency. 

So today we took down the small plainer than plain ....old and worn cement statue and replaced it with a very serene and elegant Buddha statue we have owned for years. 

It is a much classier version ...artful....and much higher quality of materials and craftsmanship.   

So ends that life lesson.   It is there to stay.

von

8 hours ago, VonNoble said:

I replaced the original statue in question as it was selected strictly on the basis of hat size.  Not the best reason beyond seasonal expediency. 

So today we took down the small plainer than plain ....old and worn cement statue and replaced it with a very serene and elegant Buddha statue we have owned for years. 

It is a much classier version ...artful....and much higher quality of materials and craftsmanship.   

So ends that life lesson.   It is there to stay.

von

Interesting.  We will see if that statue gets complains.  Or damaged.  

My loose observation, is that Christian norms don't protect Non-Christians from Christians.

On 12/26/2017 at 5:51 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Interesting.  We will see if that statue gets complains.  Or damaged.  

My loose observation, is that Christian norms don't protect Non-Christians from Christians.

Which is sad considering the edicts to "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you", and "love all others as you love yourself"*, right?  (* short version)

1 hour ago, Key said:

Which is sad considering the edicts to "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you", and "love all others as you love yourself"*, right?  (* short version)

Is it sad?  Or is it instructive?  You are not disputing the basic statement.  Over the years, this board has provided examples.

28 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

The basic sentiment is true.  You shall judge by their fruits.  They may say do unto others, but clearly some do not.  So is that really a Christian doctrine, or are they not truly Christian?

These are oft quoted enough that one would think they are doctrine, even as they were given as guidelines for followers of the faith.

6 hours ago, cuchulain said:

The basic sentiment is true.  You shall judge by their fruits.  They may say do unto others, but clearly some do not.  So is that really a Christian doctrine, or are they not truly Christian?

I have never seen anything good, come from arguing over who is a true Christian.  I do observe the people who claim the label.  Some are wonderful people.  Some behave like monsters.  

Note please.  I said "behave" like monsters.  Not that they "are" monsters.    A moot point for those being dragged through the courts, on trumped up charges.  

5 hours ago, Key said:

These are oft quoted enough that one would think they are doctrine, even as they were given as guidelines for followers of the faith.

People see the doctrines -- and the examples -- for which  they have a harmonic vibration.  Like a tuning fork.  Some things speak to them.  Others don't.  

14 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I have never seen anything good, come from arguing over who is a true Christian.  I do observe the people who claim the label.  Some are wonderful people.  Some behave like monsters.  

Note please.  I said "behave" like monsters.  Not that they "are" monsters.    A moot point for those being dragged through the courts, on trumped up charges.  

I have frequently debated with a person on another site who claims to be a Christian yet vehemently advocates for the complete eradication of all Muslims.  That is one person I would consider a monster in reality, who even provided me a link to a video of him protesting a Muslim float at a parade and claiming that the audience fell silent in awe...his perception of reality didn't match the video at all by the way, as attested to him being hauled off by the police to the cheers of the crowd on hand.  But he is the rare exception in extremity in my experience.

5 hours ago, mererdog said:

One basic tenet of Christianity is that all men are imperfect sinners. That suggests that Christian doctrine will not be followed perfectly.

That's true enough.  Or it could also suggest an escape clause of sorts for those who want to do things differently, but aren't supposed to.  They can always claim to have been imperfect in that moment, even though fully cognizant of what they were doing and the impact Involved.  

1 hour ago, cuchulain said:

I have frequently debated with a person on another site who claims to be a Christian yet vehemently advocates for the complete eradication of all Muslims.  That is one person I would consider a monster in reality, who even provided me a link to a video of him protesting a Muslim float at a parade and claiming that the audience fell silent in awe...his perception of reality didn't match the video at all by the way, as attested to him being hauled off by the police to the cheers of the crowd on hand.  But he is the rare exception in extremity in my experience.

We have both had these discussions on this board.  Challenged to provide examples of bad Christian behavior --  we were then told that those people were not "real" Christians.  You know the drill.  When Atheists do something wrong, it's because they're Atheists.  When Muslims do something wrong, it's because they have the wrong Book.  Or the wrong God.  When Christians do the wrong thing -- either they were not "true" Christians -- or they were not perfect because nobody is.  I am so tired of this double standard.  

4 hours ago, cuchulain said:

They can always claim to have been imperfect in that moment, even though fully cognizant of what they were doing and the impact Involved.  

If you believe everyone is an imperfect sinner, you think- "Yes, you were imperfect in that moment, and you still are. You sinned before, and you will sin again. Just like the rest of us, you will sometimes be selfish, or even cruel, and you may even lie about it to avoid punishment." Its kryptonite for cons, long and short. And just like being drunk, it may explain your actions, but it won't excuse them.

Edited by mererdog