Your legacy...

VonNoble

the kindness given only lives on in the people who receive it.  if they let it die its gone.  also i dont think people remember the kindness of notorious people but rather the pain they caused the world, even forgetting they had kind moments.  i cant tell the kind moments of hitler for example, but certainly there were some.

59 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

the kindness given only lives on in the people who receive it.  if they let it die its gone.  

I see your point.    On the other hand, our family folklore is riddled with stories of kindness extended to my great great grandfather when his wife died and he HAD TO go to work.... and others helped him raise the kids.    Also stories about helping my immigrant grandparents when they arrived with nothing at Ellis Island... certainly these kind acts (often related through my siblings to their grandchildren).....well that would mean the deed lived on through at least five generations.... 

THAT is just what our family knows about. We are often unaware of the significance of the impact of our actions.... things we did not even know helped someone... may have changed their life....

von

7 hours ago, VonNoble said:

The only thing about you that will live on forever is the kindness you have given.

Is that true?

von 

Your meaning is more clear.

No.  If our good deeds live on after us -- then so do our bad deeds.  For much the same reason.  Thoughtless acts of mindless cruelty and indifference have their own causal chains.

4 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

No.  If our good deeds live on after us -- then so do our bad deeds.  For much the same reason.  Thoughtless acts of mindless cruelty and indifference have their own causal chains.

Ummmm...maybe not exactly.   Good and bad deeds are not offered in equal measure.   The vast majority of people perform extreme numbers... more good deeds than bad ones.   

The law of probability might indicate the chances favor you being remembered for the good ones, no?

von

22 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

Ummmm...maybe not exactly.   Good and bad deeds are not offered in equal measure.   The vast majority of people perform extreme numbers... more good deeds than bad ones.   

The law of probability might indicate the chances favor you being remembered for the good ones, no?

von

It will be a long time before the world forgets Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Mao Tze Dong, etc.  I'm sorry.  The nasty memories also endure.  Maybe better than the good ones.  For instance,  Fleming who discovered Penicilin.  A great man, but what else do you know about him?  How vivid is he in your imagination?  How vivid in your mind is Louis Pasteur, the great chemist who identified the bacterium responsible for Anthrax?  Do you know anything about Dolores Krieger?  

But people have an impact without ever Waiting to get recognition... heroes can save a life anonymously.  

I have no no idea who helped my great-grandpa raise my grandad.    But I know that someone did... that matters.

People saved by firefighters don’t know the name of the hero... or the doctors in ER.... but the remember the impact of the actions.

Things don’t  have to be on the word stage.... big...spashy -sometimes lives are saved just by quietly giving a darn at the right moment.... maybe

von

49 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

But people have an impact without ever Waiting to get recognition... heroes can save a life anonymously.  

I have no no idea who helped my great-grandpa raise my grandad.    But I know that someone did... that matters.

People saved by firefighters don’t know the name of the hero... or the doctors in ER.... but the remember the impact of the actions.

Things don’t  have to be on the word stage.... big...spashy -sometimes lives are saved just by quietly giving a darn at the right moment.... maybe

von

True enough.  But is that legacy?  Is that living on?  

10 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

All acts, good, bad and indifferent, set off chain reactions that effect everyone around them. Kinda like the butterfly effect. What is remembered is moot.

Yes.  Which goes to my point.  What is legacy and what is living on?  The theme of this thread.  

51 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

All acts, good, bad and indifferent, set off chain reactions that effect everyone around them. Kinda like the butterfly effect. What is remembered is moot.

Who originates it might be moot. 

The fact it mattered might not be....

von

What we do matters.  We each leave a footprint.  Employees have come back to me years after leaving the company to share lessons learned.    Those lessons given intentionally made a difference.  The ones we never knew we gave also matter.  You have no idea who’s life you impacted favorably.  Yet they were changed.   The improved them and all they become because of it is part of your legacy... maybe

Those before us known and unknown shape us.... and like it or not part of what follows us -in some way- we affected it

von

von

A man walks through a desert, and after a time a strong wind blew sand to cover the trail he had left. To another, the man was never there. But in truth, his trail is still there beneath the sand, hidden from view.

It could be that most people's legacy is just like that. Our acts make an impression at first, but after a time are no longer noticed. Yet, somehow they are still there, just no longer seen.