Your legacy...

VonNoble

1 hour ago, Key said:

A man walks through a desert, and after a time a strong wind blew sand to cover the trail he had left. To another, the man was never there. But in truth, his trail is still there beneath the sand, hidden from view.

It could be that most people's legacy is just like that. Our acts make an impression at first, but after a time are no longer noticed. Yet, somehow they are still there, just no longer seen.

Long term, we are all forgotten.  Think of all the animals you ever knew.  Dogs and cats and everything else.  Who remembers them?  Such is life.

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Long term, we are all forgotten.  Think of all the animals you ever knew.  Dogs and cats and everything else.  Who remembers them?  Such is life.

Yes, physically we are forgotten in the long term. But perhaps an impression had been made enough to change a life, or start a tradition, (physically, socially, psychologically, or what have you), that might not have otherwise if we weren't there in the beginning.

Everything dies, everything's forgotten, I don't even know who my great parents were or where they're buried. Unless your a prominent historical figure (Lincoln, Christ), there's generally no record or remembrance of you after a hundred years or so.. All we are is dust in the wind.. All in all your just another brick in the wall. Perhaps that's why people need to believe in a hereafter, where all things will be brought to remembrance and every deed is recorded? If true, everything we do matters, and nothing we do is in vain.

i tend to think fear of no afterlife is a strong motive to try to believe...often enough its not enough motive.  for me, i concur with the stoic idea that death is final.  our legacy can live on negative or positive, but whether it does or not is unimportant. what matters to me is if i did my best at what i wanted to, namely being a good person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Ism not sure a person’s name being forgotten negates a legacy exists

von

1 hour ago, Dan56 said:

Everything dies, everything's forgotten, I don't even know who my great parents were or where they're buried. Unless your a prominent historical figure (Lincoln, Christ), there's generally no record or remembrance of you after a hundred years or so...

Again if you remove the need to have “credit “ for your legacy..... your impact might still remain well beyond that

Christ did not dictate the First Church of Jesus or even the term Christian.    The way if life he inspired is his legacy.    Buddha did not establish the Buddhist religion.   But the philosophy he shared endures.   Some may not know either of those names but they are impressed by people who embrace the legacy.

von

1 hour ago, cuchulain said:

what matters to me is if i did my best at what i wanted to, namely being a good person.

I agree.   We may not control the take away .    But we leave a legacy all the same.    The more lives you touch with kindness the better the odds kindness stays vibrant into the future.   Our names are not required for our impact to carry foreword 

von

names are just words to future generations.  nobody considers what Caesar was like to his friends, nor Abe Lincoln, nor Stalin.  Just as nobody will be likely to remember the person who intervened in someones suicide attemp fifty years from now.  but actions have impact without names as easy as with.

42 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

names are just words to future generations.  nobody considers what Caesar was like to his friends, nor Abe Lincoln, nor Stalin.  Just as nobody will be likely to remember the person who intervened in someones suicide attemp fifty years from now.  but actions have impact without names as easy as with.

The same is true of the person who pushes the other from the bridge to his or her death.

3 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Everything dies, everything's forgotten, I don't even know who my great parents were or where they're buried. Unless your a prominent historical figure (Lincoln, Christ), there's generally no record or remembrance of you after a hundred years or so.. All we are is dust in the wind.. All in all your just another brick in the wall. Perhaps that's why people need to believe in a hereafter, where all things will be brought to remembrance and every deed is recorded? If true, everything we do matters, and nothing we do is in vain.

The need for something to be true -- does not mean that it is true.  Some needs are not met.  

For me, one of the oddest parts of the Bible is the command to forget Amalek.   In current idiom --  "Remember to forget Amalek".  Of course, when people hear this for the first time, they ask -- "Who's Amalek?".  But for the command to forget him; Amalek would have been forgotten thousands of years ago.  

:D 

Deut. 25: 19

19 "Therefore it shall be, when the Lord thy God hath given thee rest from all thine enemies round about, in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance to possess it, that thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven; thou shalt not forget it."

It seems that there is more than one way to leave a legacy.

:D   

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

17 hours ago, mererdog said:

The planet could be destroyed tomorrow, leaving no one to remember you and nothing that bears your mark. The universe is short on guaranteed futures.

In that case there is no longer a need for the word legacy ;)

Or the word humankind.

Rather fitting to go out the way we came in; with a Big Bang?

von 

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I don't suggest it.  The world might not end.  Then what?  

For one thing, running amuck just has a real good ring to it. Another 20 years and I an going to strip naked and run amuck. By then the world will be much closer to ending. At least my part of it will be unless I am right and am immortal after all. In that case I will have my 15 minutes of fame. :o

15 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

For one thing, running amuck just has a real good ring to it. Another 20 years and I an going to strip naked and run amuck. By then the world will be much closer to ending. At least my part of it will be unless I am right and am immortal after all. In that case I will have my 15 minutes of fame. :o

You do know what running amuck means, don't you?  It's a way of committing suicide.

Fifteen minutes of fame?  Be careful what you ask for.  I can imagine the headlines.  "Crazy old man running with dagger.  Falls down and hurts himself."