About this time of year (fall) ......stupid question....

This might qualify as the dumbest question I have asked (lets not put that to a vote) 

however, I just got to wondering about Halloween and stupidity. 

Is this about the worst time of year for Wiccans to put out verbal stupid fires around them?

Does it get exhaustive?  Or is just something you ignore?  Or you just don't hear anything

about "witches" etc. that irks you about now?

von

Speaking as a former Druid, it really didn't make much difference to me.  There weren't enormous amounts of stupidity, I mean most people already knew that Halloween was borrowed from another tradition.  The biggest thing I remember was the constant barrage by the Christians who believe Halloween is Satanic.  They didn't want to celebrate it because it was originally a pagan holiday, but funnily enough had no problem with Christmas which was also borrowed from Pagans.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Speaking as a former Druid, it really didn't make much difference to me.  There weren't enormous amounts of stupidity, I mean most people already knew that Halloween was borrowed from another tradition.  The biggest thing I remember was the constant barrage by the Christians who believe Halloween is Satanic.  They didn't want to celebrate it because it was originally a pagan holiday, but funnily enough had no problem with Christmas which was also borrowed from Pagans.  

Must not forget easter eggs and the resurrection.

• Like 1

cuchulain and Brother Kamen,

I too am always surprised by how many people are "in love with the traditions" and are clueless re: the origin of those traditions.   For that matter I likely am as well as I just enjoy some stuff without looking into the origins.  But the Christmas bunch of stuff is particularly and solidly rooted in NOT Christian origins.    Thanks for those reminders - very timely as I see Christmas decorations up all over the stores.  

von

9 hours ago, VonNoble said:

cuchulain and Brother Kamen,

I too am always surprised by how many people are "in love with the traditions" and are clueless re: the origin of those traditions.   For that matter I likely am as well as I just enjoy some stuff without looking into the origins.  But the Christmas bunch of stuff is particularly and solidly rooted in NOT Christian origins.    Thanks for those reminders - very timely as I see Christmas decorations up all over the stores.  

von

It's funny, but from working at Walmart I know those decorations arrive at the store as early as august.  So early every year...

• 3 weeks later...

Curiosity question ...again to the religious folk affiliated with Yule logs, mistletoe, pine boughs in our homes and such.   Do you feel compelled to explain the origins at this time of the year to those who do not know the origins....or do you just go with the flow and let them associate all of it with Christ's birth?

von

My biggest problem with it is this:  Each year, I see encouragement for family interaction, I see ads and pamphlets telling people to start new family traditions.  It isn't exactly a stolen holiday, since the date in question can be used to start any new family tradition that arises.  It isn't copyrighted or anything :)  My problem is that so many people use it as an excuse to merely attack others of different beliefs(namely Christians, whom I don't necessarily agree with by any means).  It's a way for the pagans to claim a moral superiority with a typical childish, "I thought of it first!", which of course fails on the basis of its own childishness.  I don't like Christians who claim the holiday was theirs originally, but it's few and far between.  And who knows what holiday might have been on that day before the pagans laid claim to it?

It's not that it's a big deal.  It's that it ISN'T, any more than Atheists putting up billboards promoting a new holiday tradition without the religion involved...

On 11/21/2017 at 5:19 PM, mark 45 said:

interesting question von,but you did say the"religious folk"so i'll stay out.

You are right - I was unintentionally exclusionary in my wording - I would be most happy 

if you would contribute as I know you have, very often, helped me to cement my own thoughts. 

von

On 11/22/2017 at 11:54 AM, cuchulain said:

My problem is that so many people use it as an excuse to merely attack others of different beliefs(namely Christians, whom I don't necessarily agree with by any means).  It's a way for the pagans to claim a moral superiority with a typical childish, "I thought of it first!", which of course fails on the basis of its own childishness.  

You raise a reflective moment here.....the fact that any person with an agenda is looking

for a way to wield their weapon.   Interesting.   Folks are seeking a way to weaponize their opinions/beliefs....to 

some degree.  Interesting concept. 

Thx

von

i can't say it any better than what cuchulain did.however,from a buddhist stand point,while we can(and do)celebrate any holiday we choose,it doesn't mean that the traditions that come along with it are celebrated.

i have just had this discussion with someone who was trying to do something i did not want(ie:it involved christmas music)and i tried to say no thanks politely.the response was not so polite.

45 minutes ago, mark 45 said:

i can't say it any better than what cuchulain did.however,from a buddhist stand point,while we can(and do)celebrate any holiday we choose,it doesn't mean that the traditions that come along with it are celebrated.

i have just had this discussion with someone who was trying to do something i did not want(ie:it involved christmas music)and i tried to say no thanks politely.the response was not so polite.

i think politeness should be the new tradition.

• Like 1