Sign in to follow this  
VonNoble

About this time of year (fall) ......stupid question....

This might qualify as the dumbest question I have asked (lets not put that to a vote) 

however, I just got to wondering about Halloween and stupidity. 

Is this about the worst time of year for Wiccans to put out verbal stupid fires around them?

Does it get exhaustive?  Or is just something you ignore?  Or you just don't hear anything

about "witches" etc. that irks you about now?

von

Speaking as a former Druid, it really didn't make much difference to me.  There weren't enormous amounts of stupidity, I mean most people already knew that Halloween was borrowed from another tradition.  The biggest thing I remember was the constant barrage by the Christians who believe Halloween is Satanic.  They didn't want to celebrate it because it was originally a pagan holiday, but funnily enough had no problem with Christmas which was also borrowed from Pagans.  

4 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Speaking as a former Druid, it really didn't make much difference to me.  There weren't enormous amounts of stupidity, I mean most people already knew that Halloween was borrowed from another tradition.  The biggest thing I remember was the constant barrage by the Christians who believe Halloween is Satanic.  They didn't want to celebrate it because it was originally a pagan holiday, but funnily enough had no problem with Christmas which was also borrowed from Pagans.  

Must not forget easter eggs and the resurrection.

cuchulain and Brother Kamen,

I too am always surprised by how many people are "in love with the traditions" and are clueless re: the origin of those traditions.   For that matter I likely am as well as I just enjoy some stuff without looking into the origins.  But the Christmas bunch of stuff is particularly and solidly rooted in NOT Christian origins.    Thanks for those reminders - very timely as I see Christmas decorations up all over the stores.  

von

9 hours ago, VonNoble said:

cuchulain and Brother Kamen,

I too am always surprised by how many people are "in love with the traditions" and are clueless re: the origin of those traditions.   For that matter I likely am as well as I just enjoy some stuff without looking into the origins.  But the Christmas bunch of stuff is particularly and solidly rooted in NOT Christian origins.    Thanks for those reminders - very timely as I see Christmas decorations up all over the stores.  

von

It's funny, but from working at Walmart I know those decorations arrive at the store as early as august.  So early every year...