VonNoble

What is the tipping point ? (lessons)

I fully understand the frustration of dealing with something as part of the job, and basically being handcuffed in order to do so.  Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.  Usually both at the same time.  The situation is untenable.  We need to rethink it thoroughly and figure out a way to change the situation itself so that this type of thing doesn't happen, or at least so that if it does the key players involved are prepared with some sort of plan.  And I think the primary element of this is not including public opinion.

32 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

I fully understand the frustration of dealing with something as part of the job, and basically being handcuffed in order to do so.  Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.  Usually both at the same time.  The situation is untenable.  We need to rethink it thoroughly and figure out a way to change the situation itself so that this type of thing doesn't happen, or at least so that if it does the key players involved are prepared with some sort of plan.  And I think the primary element of this is not including public opinion.

The general public can't be told anything.  They are all convinced that they know.  The less they actually  know, the more convinced they are.  The worst of them, are the idiot preachers, who think that God and prayer will fix anything.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

15 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

The general public can't be told anything.  They are all convinced that they know.  The less they actually  know, the more convinced they are.  The worst of them, are the idiot preachers, who think that God and prayer will fix anything.

Ah, but if they believe in an all powerful entity, how could God and prayer not fix anything?

The other problem with this, is that it makes a God like a house servant the way some people act. A person makes a mess of things, then leaves it for the maid/butler to clean up.

9 hours ago, Key said:

Ah, but if they believe in an all powerful entity, how could God and prayer not fix anything?

The other problem with this, is that it makes a God like a house servant the way some people act. A person makes a mess of things, then leaves it for the maid/butler to clean up.

More like their Father -- who art in Heaven.     :lol:     

I liked it the way I heard it in the movie short circuit.  Draw a circle on the ground, throw up all the money and what God wants he keeps.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:42 PM, VonNoble said:

When we instruct a child when is it a lesson and when is it an

imposition of OUR view, OUR way, OUR belief?

When is it teaching and when is it indoctrination?

Culturally, do we insulate our children too much?

Are parents defining the parents success in life - in terms of the kids?  Are parents using the kids to validate that they have been successful in life - thereby defining their worth as humans in terms of how the kids turn out? 

von

1 hour ago, VonNoble said:

Are parents defining the parents success in life - in terms of the kids?  Are parents using the kids to validate that they have been successful in life - thereby defining their worth as humans in terms of how the kids turn out? 

von

i think it's leaning towards that, especially when I take my kid to school and see the set up they have these days, and watch TV with my kid and see the cartoons about kids talking about problems instead of having conflict.  does anyone else remember transformers or g  i joe?  

i think it's a response to the escalated media coverage of violence involving kids which has always happened but was previously not as publicized, in part anyway.

1 hour ago, VonNoble said:

von

There was a time, I'm sure, where it was true that parents considered their children's success in life as the measuring stick of their own worth. Parent's had, and hopefully always, want better for their kids than they had for themselves as kids.

It doesn't seem as true anymore, but I'm sure it's still there. It's just the view of discipline and authority has skewed over the generations, maybe.

10 hours ago, VonNoble said:

I think child-rearing styles tend to be heavily dependant on local and family level culture. That makes the word "we" very tricky, in context.

19 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

When I was a teacher, I burnt out my parental urges. 

I don't think I ever had any. Looking back, the amount of effort I put into not having a kid is pretty staggering....

3 hours ago, mererdog said:

I don't think I ever had any. Looking back, the amount of effort I put into not having a kid is pretty staggering....

But so worth it.  "No deposit, no return."