VonNoble

Authentic self

Recommended Posts

Knowing myself is a balancing act between my own perceptions of myself, and what others around me might tell me they perceive of me.  In more than a few cases, I trust my own perceptions of myself over those of my community, because many of my core beliefs are at odds with theirs.  In some cases, others see things about me or the way I act that I might not notice unless they bring it to my attention.

 

I also keep in mind that the Delphic maxim that is often translated to "know thyself" is not just a call to introspection, but also a warning against hubris.  Knowing yourself is also knowing your limitations, flaws, and any bias you might have that colors your perceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LeopardBoy said:

Knowing myself is a balancing act between my own perceptions of myself, and what others around me might tell me they perceive of me.  In more than a few cases, I trust my own perceptions of myself over those of my community, because many of my core beliefs are at odds with theirs.  In some cases, others see things about me or the way I act that I might not notice unless they bring it to my attention.

 

I also keep in mind that the Delphic maxim that is often translated to "know thyself" is not just a call to introspection, but also a warning against hubris.  Knowing yourself is also knowing your limitations, flaws, and any bias you might have that colors your perceptions.

 

Interesting.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

Knowing myself is a balancing act between my own perceptions of myself, and what others around me might tell me they perceive of me.  In more than a few cases, I trust my own perceptions of myself over those of my community, because many of my core beliefs are at odds with theirs.  In some cases, others see things about me or the way I act that I might not notice unless they bring it to my attention.

 

I also keep in mind that the Delphic maxim that is often translated to "know thyself" is not just a call to introspection, but also a warning against hubris.  Knowing yourself is also knowing your limitations, flaws, and any bias you might have that colors your perceptions.

as rev calli would say"spot on".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 1:24 AM, VonNoble said:

 

Thank you 

 

How do you determine when they have it 

right?  

 

von

Greetings to you my brother,

 

When it feels right to me.  I have just as much capacity to bs myself as anyone.  Fortunately, I have been blessed with good and caring friends who, when I need it, help me to see when I am engaging in acts of self-delusion and, gently,  help keep me grounded.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

 

When it feels right to me.  I have just as much capacity to bs myself as anyone.  Fortunately, I have been blessed with good and caring friends who, when I need it, help me to see when I am engaging in acts of self-delusion and, gently,  help keep me grounded.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

 

You are very fortunate that said friends

are so caring and GENTLE.    We need more if that in the world, no?

 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 12:16 AM, VonNoble said:

Doesn't ever-changing self

exist fully between the breath in

and the breath out? 

I'm not sure I understand the question.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mererdog said:

I'm not sure I understand the question.  

I am not sure I have a valid one... 

 

Many years ago a meditation teacher

told me the present time is only between

breaths.   We can only know I our current self between the breaths

 

If that is true-then Self exists in the space between breaths.

 

von

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

If that is true-then Self exists in the space between breaths.

Ok. Personally, I don't think it is true. Maybe metaphorically, depending on the metaphor, but not literally. I also hold that the present is a cultivated illusion, though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2017 at 11:48 PM, VonNoble said:

Can you really know yourself

without feedback from others?

 

Without seeing how others see us...

are we not flat .... missing a dimension

as it were?

 

von

 

Expand....the easiest person to fool 

...is yourself

 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another what you project to the world thought I heard yesterday......

 

The most attractive person in any room....is the happy one

 

True?

 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I think that depends on the room and why people are there.  

 

Okay.   In what room (gathered for what purpose) would that not be true? 

 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

 

Okay.   In what room (gathered for what purpose) would that not be true? 

 

von

 

Most of the time, people are not looking for deep meaningful connections.  Just off the top of my head -- a bus, movie theater, locker room, ...........   It's not that we are avoiding Human contact.  Most of the time we are quietly going about our business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, VonNoble said:

 

Okay.   In what room (gathered for what purpose) would that not be true? 

 

von

funeral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

funeral.

I thought if that too.    While it might not be an appropriate time to have thoughts about who is attractive....much of the before and after moments are quietly social.    

 

An an attractive person remains attractive even when no one comments on it.   

 

Happy is not necessarily laughing. It might be content (as in not negative) ( not griping) (not grumpy).....happy at a funeral does not necessarily mean happy the person is dead.    It can mean one accepts the passing with grace and understanding. 

 

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VonNoble said:

I thought if that too.    While it might not be an appropriate time to have thoughts about who is attractive....much of the before and after moments are quietly social.    

 

An an attractive person remains attractive even when no one comments on it.   

 

Happy is not necessarily laughing. It might be content (as in not negative) ( not griping) (not grumpy).....happy at a funeral does not necessarily mean happy the person is dead.    It can mean one accepts the passing with grace and understanding. 

 

von

The happiest people at a funeral are the living. You can break it down from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

The happiest people at a funeral are the living. You can break it down from there. 

Actually, it might be the funeral director getting paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brother Kaman said:

The happiest people at a funeral are the living. You can break it down from there. 

Not by definition. But fun and clever answer... thx.      von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VonNoble said:

I thought if that too.    While it might not be an appropriate time to have thoughts about who is attractive....much of the before and after moments are quietly social.    

 

An an attractive person remains attractive even when no one comments on it.   

 

Happy is not necessarily laughing. It might be content (as in not negative) ( not griping) (not grumpy).....happy at a funeral does not necessarily mean happy the person is dead.    It can mean one accepts the passing with grace and understanding. 

 

von

 

 

At the risk of coming off as a pig -- I've had the experience of attending church services, looking up at the pastor in the pulpit, and being stunned by her beauty.  No, I didn't say anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

 

At the risk of coming off as a pig -- I've had the experience of attending church services, looking up at the pastor in the pulpit, and being stunned by her beauty.  No, I didn't say anything.  

Points to you for honesty....and decorum.  :clap2:

von

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now