Films or live performance

Recently I heard the distinction between a film production and a 

stage production boiled down to the very basics. 

In a film, the words matter less.  Films rely on stunts and 

special effects far more than a stage production ever could.

Therefore, a stage production by nature of the event requires

far more emphasis on the words and also the ability of the 

actors.

Agree?   Preference?   HATE live performance?

How does that translate to music (going to a concert versus

a recording?) ......and even to a sporting event (attending 

a game versus watching it at the local sports bar?)

Personally, while I enjoy a good tailgating party, I have to

admit I prefer the comfort of my recliner at home. 

von

I think the stage play relies more on the visual imagination to make up for the limited sets than it does the words. I have seen nearly every film version of A Christmas Carol and many were word for word with the written story. I have also seen word for word stage plays of the same. The limited sets of the stage play did nothing to take away from the story. It is also interesting how a properly produced stage play can come up with some fascinating special effects without the aid of "trick" photography.

Though an abridgement, the stage play of The Lion King was a marvel of costuming and much more entertaining ( to my wife and I) than the feature cartoon which had seemed aimed at child audiences.

Edited by Brother Kaman
Add content

"A picture is worth a thousand words." Which is why dialogue has less emphasis in film. Action is more punctuated there than on the printed page or stage. 

And I agree that film also requires less imagination, as it has been fleshed out by the vision of the director.

But the stage can also be visually stunning, as I witnessed of a production of "Les Miserables" some years ago.

Overall, film is cheaper to attend, but stage is better for the imagining.

Even more frugal, is the dvd at home. ;)

Referencing sporting events - a recent college football game reminded me that a 

LIVE event has the interaction of those around you to push your mood along.

It can provide more intensity than sitting along in my recliner and it did.

i was seated above the marching band section. THEY were comical so I sort of

had two events in one.  With the fist fight that erupted behind me - I had three 

events in one. 

I think I prefer the stop action close up of a replay on TV (at home - in my recliner) 

but then again - there was some heightened sensory feel to a live event.  I went

home smelling of beer and I don't drink it so there was even THAT as a residue

reminder of an action filled event.  :)

von

On 9/7/2017 at 9:02 AM, VonNoble said:

In a film, the words matter less.  Films rely on stunts and 

special effects far more than a stage production ever could.

There are plays where no one speaks and films where no one does anything else. I saw a stage production with a thirty-foot tall fire-breathing dragon and a different stage production that had actual robots and holograms. 

Even with the best plays, I have difficulty forgetting that I am sitting in a chair watching a play, partly because of the inherent participatory nature of being in that kind of audience (even applause is participation). A good movie will draw me into a more immersive experience where I get a sort of mental tunnel vision and thoughts of the rest of the world fade away for a while.

Then there's going to a live Rocky Horror Picture Show screening... A sort of best of both worlds experience, complete with having strangers throw food at you.

Edited by mererdog

On 9/14/2017 at 2:55 PM, mererdog said:

Then there's going to a live Rocky Horror Picture Show screening... A sort of best of both worlds experience, complete with having strangers throw food at you.

I recently went to a PLAY version of Rocky Horror.

All of the antics were in play there as well. 

I always feel a bit sorry for the custodians after one of those events.  

Especially so in a nice carpeted theater.  Yikes. 

You make an excellent point of being able to at times more engrossed in a film.

I wonder if the "close up" nature of film enhances the one-to-one feel of the experience.

I rarely make eye contact with actors during a play.

But the close up with corrected camera angle makes it appear that an actor might 

be looking at you with some approximation. 

Rather enjoyed the Rocky Horror midnight showings of long ago.

What a crazy bunch would gather for that cult classic. 

I think I sometimes see the next generation at Walmart in the very wee hours

of overnight. 

von

I appreciate & respect “live” actors/musicians more than filmed ones because they only get 1 chance to get their lines correct or incorrect. It amazes me to see people who can dance, play instruments and do stunts ‘live’.

Unfortunately, the cost of live performances can be prohibitive :(

BTW- I always like watching “Les Miserables” on PBS, which is a stage performance. Also “Scrooge” (1973) with Albert Finney seems more like a play than a movie to me.

• 2 weeks later...

In keeping with GregNJ.....I just interviewed a stage actor for a class project and he pointed to the very same concept.   He has also done work in films and noted the difference as an actor between the two types of performance.

He noted with film acting - he does not need much rehearsal time.  One big surprise to him was how much rehearsal was required for a stage production - he had to adjust his style EXPRESSLY because there are no "do overs" in a live performance.  You have to be right the first time - every time. 

Different topic but related:  I recently saw the play Equivocation (by Bill Cain) ........I had read the script several times and really could not see any way that could EVER be produced as it was just too, too much everything (dialogue, concentric plots inside of plots...)    My solution was to find some place (any place) performing that script and see if I was able to follow it at all as a live production. 

I did.  It was draining.   Having read the script I was able to follow it.  I noted that eventually everyone 

around me "got it" more or less....but it is one vote for LIVE.  This was intended to be viewed as a three or 

four dimensional presentation.   I don't think film would have been as effective. 

von

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason for live performance to inch ahead....interaction with the audience!   I jUst  attended a theater performance for children.     No film could have revved up the kids like the actors just prior to the opening curtain.    Using fast action, quickly learned little songs and stand-up-sit-down, dance-in-place, clap-like-me, stomp-like-me...games the children loved the show before the thrill of seeing live theater even began.  I've never seen that happen to warm kids up at a Disney film^_^

Kids of all ages (me included) were smiling the whole 55 minutes of the production.   What a treat for the kids.  And an even bigger treat for those who were allowed to see it through their eyes....

von

• 5 weeks later...

I just saw the play:  It's a wonderful life:  A live radio play.

Watching how the old time radio shows were put together - complete with a Foley set up on stage  - was fun.   The special effects unfolding in front of you was like watching a magician showing you how the magic is done.   Another vote for live performance as seeing that on film would not at all have been as entertaining.   

von

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone who has never experienced a life performance needs to put it on their bucket list.  You really cant compare a movie or Music from a recording to being there live.  I always think of hearing and Orchestra for the 1st time, you can feel the emotion of the music and better yet the emotion of each person playing their instrument.  Their emotion comes through and out to the audience with the Music.  You cant get that even with the best surround system.  

Feeling the emotions may be subject to be intuitive but  I encourage all to see some stage performances and support your local theater, Sometimes you can see some stunning actors who are big names and just want to hone their skills!