respect, dignity and grace

VonNoble

7 hours ago, Dan56 said:

You left us hanging in suspense :).. So what did the judge decide to do?

My sister was also hit by a drunk driver in Florida and was seriously injured, and her companion was killed.. The man that hit them had been busted 6 times for drunk driving, and was attending classes for his most previous DUI.. The drunk is finally serving time for manslaughter now.. I'm sure your Mom was a compassionate woman, but how would she feel if the judge had took her advise, only to learn later that the man she felt sorry for had later killed someone else while driving drunk?  Quite the conundrum eh?

Yes.  It is.  We want to be kind.  We want to be just.  Sometimes, the path forward is so bent, there are no good choices.  

15 hours ago, VonNoble said:

* The judge said under normal circumstances he would have sent the man to jail.

However, the judge noted since my mother (who like your sister suffered permanently and forever because of his

actions) - since mom had asked that he NOT go to jail - the judge would honor her request.  He did NOT go to 

jail specifically because of my mothers opposition to it.

von

Thanks........... I personally don't have a problem with not sending drunk drivers to jail, as your mother put it, we should all be afforded an opportunity to learn from our mistakes.. But I do believe that when a drunk driver hurts or kills someone else, there ought to be some repercussions (jail time). Driving drunk is a mistake, but it turns into  a crime when you hurt someone else.. My opinion of course.

Edited by Dan56

7 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Thanks........... I personally don't have a problem with not sending drunk drivers to jail, as your mother put it, we should all be afforded an opportunity to learn from our mistakes.. But I do believe that when a drunk driver hurts or kills someone else, there ought to be some repercussions (jail time). Driving drunk is a mistake, but it turns into  a crime when you hurt someone else.. My opinion of course.

I tend to agree.. but there is still no reason for those repercussions to be unnecessarily cruel.

3 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:
4 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

I tend to agree.. but there is still no reason for those repercussions to be unnecessarily cruel.

If only Justice were simple.

And noboy here said it is. But - and I repeat - "there is still no reason for those repercussions to be unnecessarily cruel".

On 9/9/2017 at 4:14 AM, VonNoble said:

The most convincing argument for the approach used in the Netherlands is the fact it works.

I have not kept up in the last couple of years however when I was active in prison ministry 

the Netherlands were certainly cited for their many successes. 

von

Yes, I like "fact-based-decision-making" a lot too...