Greetings and Good Tidings; Isn't it fascinating that in our daily walk through life, we meet many people who we just have brushing acquaintances with...the lady in the supermarket you exchanged hellos with, the man walking his dog you nodded Hi to at the red light, the person from years ago you met on the street and struck up a conversation with. In each of these instances, we leave an impression of some sort. That person also leaves an impression of some kind upon us. It is up to us what kind of impression that will be. We can work together to help make each other's journey pleasant, or be a hindrance to that journey. In so doing, we affect our own path by the same measure.

• Like 1

First impressions are often reactionary.  Stoics say, let things sink in.  Give it time.  I think about the people I meet randomly and as passing acquaintance with.  I think about how I interacted with them, and how they interacted with me, if there was interaction.  If there wasn't, why there wasn't.  I consider the impact all around, or at least as far around as I can see.  I consider how the situation could have been worse(negative visualization is an important factor in stoicism).  Overall, I do not let these impacts actually affect the way that I behave towards people, whether good or bad.  My behavior is one of the rare things in life I have control over, which is also why I am a pacifist.  I try not to voluntarily surrender my control over my behavior, though sometimes I fail.  I try to treat everyone I meet as a brother, or sister.  

In Illinois, this drew a particularly strange reaction most of the time.  People would look at me like I was crazy for talking with them as good, human people, even though I didn't know them.  Now that I live in Georgia, I have noticed the reaction is not outstanding.  In fact, a lot of people around here strike up the same tone with me when I do not with them.  It's kind of a nicety I suppose.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:54 AM, RevTom said:

Greetings and Good Tidings; Isn't it fascinating that in our daily walk through life, we meet many people who we just have brushing acquaintances with...the lady in the supermarket you exchanged hellos with, the man walking his dog you nodded Hi to at the red light, the person from years ago you met on the street and struck up a conversation with. In each of these instances, we leave an impression of some sort. That person also leaves an impression of some kind upon us. It is up to us what kind of impression that will be. We can work together to help make each other's journey pleasant, or be a hindrance to that journey. In so doing, we affect our own path by the same measure.

I love it when people randomly start talking to me. I'm never lonely- but I find it interesting and fun, especially now that I'm a little older. It's always cool to hear what the universe has to say, when it prompts others to chat with me, in random places. I don't generally seek to start conversations, but don't mind it when others do. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the Hearthwitch said:

I love it when people randomly start talking to me. I'm never lonely- but I find it interesting and fun, especially now that I'm a little older. It's always cool to hear what the universe has to say, when it prompts others to chat with me, in random places. I don't generally seek to start conversations, but don't mind it when others do. :)

Unplanned chats can be nice.   

• Like 1