Why do humans intentionally seek to evolve into something far greater

RevTom

Why do humans intentionally seek to evolve into something far greater beyond their realistic needs? From SisterSalome's Difficult Questions. Man has always wondered what is around the corner, what is the meaning of life, etc. Why we seek to evolve into something greater than our realistic needs is the impetus that has driven mankind to discover new worlds, discover new medicine, to reach beyond our current understanding and seek that which is seemingly unknowable. This quest for the unknown has given us the discovery of things as complex as the quark, and as simple as an ink pen that can be used in space. It is this quest to evolve that will let us continue to solve dilemmas that face us.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello RevTom,

I am not sure that the original posit is 100% in accord with my understanding

but I get the drift of the thing (at least I hope I do :o )

Sort of seems like necessity is the mother of invention might apply to some

discoveries, no?  (maybe a bunch of them anyway) 

The reason I questioned our wanting to evolve into more is due to reading 

more than a few postings in this Forum where people are trying to devolve; 

into less.   Less need.   Less complication.   Less dogma.  Less rules.

Less ego.......etc. 

YOU ARE CERTAINLY CORRECT in that as we expand we make discoveries,

mostof which we find a way to put to use!    Many for our betterment.

Too, the flip side is ironically also true, maybe, by wanting less, needing less,

using less and taking less we care much less about the future and enjoy 

the dickens out of this hour and this day.   We start to master when is 

enough - enough.   Very often we have it. 

BTW, kudos on including the quark.   I am rather smitten with quarks. :rolleyes:

von

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Hello RevTom,

Less ego.......etc. 

Too, the flip side is ironically also true, maybe, by wanting less, needing less,

BTW, kudos on including the quark.   I am rather smitten with quarks. :rolleyes:

von

Greetings to you my brother,

I personally think that our quest to become something greater is a trait that has been placed in us by our creator.  Much as a parent wants their children to grow and reach their full potential, I believe that God wants us to grow and become more than we might think ourselves capable of.  

To grow though does not necessarily mean that we want to possess more, or gain more in wealth or power.  To grow in knowledge, to grow in abilities, to grow in our capacity to love and serve each other, this is the growth I feel God wants of each of us.

In Solidarity,

Rev. Calli

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

I personally think that our quest to become something greater is a trait that has been placed in us by our creator.  Much as a parent wants their children to grow and reach their full potential, I believe that God wants us to grow and become more than we might think ourselves capable of.  

To grow though does not necessarily mean that we want to possess more, or gain more in wealth or power.  To grow in knowledge, to grow in abilities, to grow in our capacity to love and serve each other, this is the growth I feel God wants of each of us.

In Solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Hello Rev. Calli

It is  a very good thing you are here on the Forum. 

It seems we are ending up in close to the same location but we (as often we do) ....we take different paths to get there. 

Certainly I would agree that we should grow our talents and abilities and share them.   I truly believe we are happiest

when we are useful.  WE GET far more than we give.   

If the formula you outlined works (with God as the impetus) ...I suspect it also works for those who just feel

the benefit of doing it because we feel better our own selves......no external motivation required.

I know you well enough to know you and i both believe people cultivating kindness (for whatever reason)

makes for a better world.   As usual we are on the same lake moving our canoes in the same direction 

and appreciating the view along the way. 

Good to see you again. 

von

• Like 1

I'm not at all certain that this social evolution is taking place.  Yes.  There are visionaries striving to make the world a better place.  People involved with such issues as prison reform.  Or Education reform.  Etc.  There are also visionaries engaged in medical research, to make the world a better place.  Or scientific research.  Or the arts.

For the most part, I think people are just living their daily lives.

:mellow:

On 8/31/2017 at 11:42 AM, VonNoble said:

Hello RevTom,

Less ego.......etc. 

von

Hello, and Good Tidings; You make some interesting observations: Indeed, I believe it is the role of necessity that has driven many of the inventions and advances we enjoy. Also, I have observed people wanting a simpler life - to move away from the high tech lifestyle, the compulsion to compete and be at the top of the rung so to speak. I am one of those who have gone back to a simpler lifestyle. For me, it is the most fulfilling: Yet, I do enjoy the advances in technology mankind has made over the course of history, although many of the things that I once thought of as necessities are not even desirable any more. Still I admire and support the discoveries that have been and continue to be made in the hopes that these discoveries will be beneficial to all mankind. I believe that our Creator has blessed us with a passion to look around the bend, travel that unknown road, seek that which we do not know. 

20 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Hello Rev. Calli

It is  a very good thing you are here on the Forum. 

It seems we are ending up in close to the same location but we (as often we do) ....we take different paths to get there. 

Certainly I would agree that we should grow our talents and abilities and share them.   I truly believe we are happiest

when we are useful.  WE GET far more than we give.   

If the formula you outlined works (with God as the impetus) ...I suspect it also works for those who just feel

the benefit of doing it because we feel better our own selves......no external motivation required.

I know you well enough to know you and i both believe people cultivating kindness (for whatever reason)

makes for a better world.   As usual we are on the same lake moving our canoes in the same direction 

and appreciating the view along the way. 

Good to see you again. 

von

Indeed, growth itself can be its own reward.  I feel quite pleased with myself when I learn a new way to use Excel or PowerDirector.  But speaking just for myself, I get the greatest feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction when I know that my skills are being used to their best when I am serving others.  

Oh, and it's been very good to be back. :)  I've even made some new friends (I hope) like Jonathon.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rev. Calli said:

Indeed, growth itself can be its own reward.  I feel quite pleased with myself when I learn a new way to use Excel or PowerDirector.  But speaking just for myself, I get the greatest feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction when I know that my skills are being used to their best when I am serving others.  

Oh, and it's been very good to be back. :)  I've even made some new friends (I hope) like Jonathon.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Thank you.  One of the great lessons of my life is that I can like and respect people -- without agreeing with them.  I have enjoyed your presence in my life.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Thank you.  One of the great lessons of my life is that I can like and respect people -- without agreeing with them.  I have enjoyed your presence in my life.

Life would be very dull indeed if we all agreed on everything.  The trick (when we do disagree) is to do so in respectful and loving ways.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Life would be very dull indeed if we all agreed on everything.  The trick (when we do disagree) is to do so in respectful and loving ways.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Of course.                :drinks:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

It could be that we are simply designed that way. According to some forms of Satanism, the Abrahamic God is the Demiurge that imprisoned the souls(in bodies of flesh) created by our Father-Lord SatanLucifer before he could finish us. Because of this, Satan encourages us to evolve spiritually in order to acheive the Magnum Opus so that we may loosen our physical restrictions and shine forth as enlightened beings.

Also humans are naturally competative, jealous, greedy, and gluttonous and thusly will always seek to be better than their neigbors so as to have the edge over others.