RevTom

ordination

Recommended Posts

I am sure this has been asked many times, but here we go again: I  read the brouhaha concerning the knockoff imposter, The Monastery. The is some confusion about ordinations after sometime in 2006. My ordination was Ordination Date11/17/2006, and I am listed in this Directory of Ministers, so I assume all is well. I just want to make sure. Forgive me for sounding ignorant, and I cannot imagine why I would be listed in ULC's Directory of Ministers if I wasn't registered and ordained through this church, but I just want to remove any doubt. Thanks, TJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from the sounds of things,i would suggest you contact hq and ask them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2017 at 4:19 PM, RevTom said:

I am sure this has been asked many times, but here we go again: I  read the brouhaha concerning the knockoff imposter, The Monastery. The is some confusion about ordinations after sometime in 2006. My ordination was Ordination Date11/17/2006, and I am listed in this Directory of Ministers, so I assume all is well. I just want to make sure. Forgive me for sounding ignorant, and I cannot imagine why I would be listed in ULC's Directory of Ministers if I wasn't registered and ordained through this church, but I just want to remove any doubt. Thanks, TJ

Greetings to you my brother,

 

You would probably want to contact the office in Modesto to make sure.  You can always have yourself reordained thru them if there is any doubt.

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

 

You would probably want to contact the office in Modesto to make sure.  You can always have yourself reordained thru them if there is any doubt.

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Greetings. I called them this morning. They said the system was down and they would check and call me when it came back up, but they never did. I will call them again in the morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 11:25 PM, RevTom said:

Greetings. I called them this morning. They said the system was down and they would check and call me when it came back up, but they never did. I will call them again in the morning.

ULC's computer database was still down yesterday. IT guy was supposed to be coming - have to check back Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 2:10 PM, RevTom said:

ULC's computer database was still down yesterday. IT guy was supposed to be coming - have to check back Monday.

 

I understand your concern.  The split was in 2006 but I don't remember the month.

 

Some of the history might clarify things for you:

 

Kirby started things up in his garage in Modesto in 1959.   Formal incorporation happened in the early sixties.  Obviously, there was no internet at that time.  This is where the Monastery comes into play.  They were the first website of the ULC.  As such, they were part of ULC and sent all paperwork through to Modesto, including ordinations.  Before the split, if you got your ordination through the Monastery, it was the ULC.  There was no distinction.  It was like different pockets in the same pair of pants.  Then the dot-org website went rogue and broke off.

 

The question is -- did they stop reporting to Modesto HQ -- before or after your ordination?

 

The good news is, you can be ordained by both churches.  It is not one or the other.  Now, all we have to do is find out your situation with the Modesto data base.  If the database has you listed, all is well.  If not -- no problem.  You're already part of dot-net.  All you have to do is click on ordain me.  It should take about three minutes.  Just make sure there are no typos in your name.     :D   

 

One more point.  I don't recall the exact phrasing.  Kirby used to say that -- Ordination is from God.  All the church does is provide the certificate.     :D 

 

 

 

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not about the Monastery.  

 

The crooked fool out in Florida -- I don't remember his name -- has folded his tent and gone away.  It's a non-issue.  He's gone and his Christian ULC has vanished with him.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 5:35 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

I understand your concern.  The split was in 2006 but I don't remember the month.

 

Some of the history might clarify things for you:

 

Kirby started things up in his garage in Modesto in 1959.   Formal incorporation happened in the early sixties.  Obviously, there was no internet at that time.  This is where the Monastery comes into play.  They were the first website of the ULC.  As such, they were part of ULC and sent all paperwork through to Modesto, including ordinations.  Before the split, if you got your ordination through the Monastery, it was the ULC.  There was no distinction.  It was like different pockets in the same pair of pants.  Then the dot-org website went rogue and broke off.

 

The question is -- did they stop reporting to Modesto HQ -- before or after your ordination?

 

The good news is, you can be ordained by both churches.  It is not one or the other.  Now, all we have to do is find out your situation with the Modesto data base.  If the database has you listed, all is well.  If not -- no problem.  You're already part of dot-net.  All you have to do is click on ordain me.  It should take about three minutes.  Just make sure there are no typos in your name.     :D   

 

One more point.  I don't recall the exact phrasing.  Kirby used to say that -- Ordination is from God.  All the church does is provide the certificate.     :D 

 

 

 

Thank you. I didn't call them today, but had called several times previously because they had expected the database to be fixed earlier. I will call them - or they said they would call me. I will give it a day or two. I really hope my ordination is good here. If I remember correctly (I can't find my certificate) the indication is that the ordination is through here and not The Monastery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RevTom said:

Thank you. I didn't call them today, but had called several times previously because they had expected the database to be fixed earlier. I will call them - or they said they would call me. I will give it a day or two. I really hope my ordination is good here. If I remember correctly (I can't find my certificate) the indication is that the ordination is through here and not The Monastery.

 

I think you are answering your call.

 

A side thought:  A call from God can be ignored.  When Nature calls, I answer.       :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

I think you are answering your call.

 

A side thought:  A call from God can be ignored.  When Nature calls, I answer.       :lol:

Perhaps at great peril for ignoring either?  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RevTom said:

Perhaps at great peril for ignoring either?  :D

 

 

I will let you guess which one seems more urgent.     :lol:

 

Here's a hint.  Churches have bathrooms.     :D   

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

 

I will let you guess which one seems more urgent.     :lol:

 

Here's a hint.  Churches have bathrooms.     :D   

:thumbu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 4:48 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

This is not about the Monastery.  

 

The crooked fool out in Florida -- I don't remember his name -- has folded his tent and gone away.  It's a non-issue.  He's gone and his Christian ULC has vanished with him.

 

 

Greetings to you my brother,

 

Actually he died on Thanksgiving day last year.  He was just interred at WIsconsin Memorial Park over by me a few weeks ago.  He'll have some explaining to do.

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

 

Actually he died on Thanksgiving day last year.  He was just interred at WIsconsin Memorial Park over by me a few weeks ago.  He'll have some explaining to do.

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

I think his name was Michael.  What happened?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

 

Actually he died on Thanksgiving day last year.  He was just interred at WIsconsin Memorial Park over by me a few weeks ago.  He'll have some explaining to do.

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Key said:

????

 

The short version:

 

Someone -- I think his name was Michael -- stole the mailing list from the monastery -- and set himself up in Florida as the only true Universal Life Church.  It was for Christians only and there was a fee for being ordained.  People would pay up for their ordination and then get defrocked.  An appalling scam.  Michael was known for sending threatening phone calls and e-mails to both the Modesto people -- us -- and the Monastery people.

 

One day I went to his website to see what mischief he was about.  The site was gone.  I was wondering what had happened.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

 

Actually he died on Thanksgiving day last year.  He was just interred at WIsconsin Memorial Park over by me a few weeks ago.  He'll have some explaining to do.

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

 

Curiosity compels.  Do you happen to know how he met his end?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

 

Curiosity compels.  Do you happen to know how he met his end?  

Greetings to you my brother,

 

I just found out about a month ago.   His web site had suddenly gone off line.  I was chatting with Amulet and she told me that she had heard he passed away.  I did an obituary check, and there is an obituary for him from a Florida newspaper that that states he died on Thanksgiving last year, and that he was going to be interred at Wisconsin Memorial park in June (just a few miles from my house).  He must have been cremated.  On his church Facebook page one of his sons had made the announcement of his passing.  

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Key said:

????

Greetings to you my brother,

 

I live a few miles from Wisconsin Memorial Park.  I didn't do the ceremony :)

 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now