Regarding Angels Unaware

I was trying to respond to Rev Dave's post, "Angels Unaware", but there were no options to do so. I think it is a very good, thought provoking article, and it brought to mind a social media post a while back having to do with a pastor who disguised himself as a homeless man. It turns out the social media post was not factual, but based on a real life event (you can read the entire article in Snopes; homeless pastor). There are several pastors who have in fact disguised themselves as homeless people to see how their congregations would react, among them Rev Willie Lyle, who was then the newly appointed pastor of Santiago United Methodist Church. He spent 5 days as a homeless man, and was for the most part ignored and even shunned by his congregation. The point I am getting at is we do not know who we are dealing with as we approach people and they approach us in our daily lives. We should treat all people with courtesy and respect and help who we encounter to the extent we are able to do so. These are the things that will determine our spiritual growth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windwalker said:

I was trying to respond to Rev Dave's post, "Angels Unaware", but there were no options to do so. I think it is a very good, thought provoking article, and it brought to mind a social media post ...........

The point I am getting at is we do not know who we are dealing with as we approach people and they approach us in our daily lives. We should treat all people with courtesy and respect and help who we encounter to the extent we are able to do so. These are the things that will determine our spiritual growth. 

Hi Windwalker,

Thanks I appreciate that.

Yes the Pulpit area is a place to "preach and teach" with no comments allowed. (usually) But yes, this was the best way to respond  to a post from the pulpit.

I remember the social media post and thought it was a touching story.

I absolutely agree with your point. We should always approach people with respect and courtesy. You never know what that person may say or do that could be a message for you, from God that you need.

I'd like to take full credit for the message but I have to admit it was a Jewish Rabi who got me to catch that the word used for messenger in the Esau/Jacob story was the same word that was translated angel elsewhere..

Edited by Pastor Dave
  • Like 1