New haiku thread

• 1 month later...

This is the first time I have heard of a Haiku.  From what I have read online, the meaning is small or large lines of a poem, poetry, and even writing in a journal. 

The Haiku is a Japanese form of writing:   In Japanese, haiku are traditionally printed in a single vertical line while haiku in English often appear in three lines to parallel the three phrases of Japanese haiku. Previously called hokku, haiku was given its current name by the Japanese writer Masaoka Shiki at the end of the 19th century.  (Wikkipedia.com, Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku, 13 August 2017, at 19:13.  

My Poem is 939 lines:

Rain! Rain! Go Away Come Again Some Other Day!

These short poems remind me of the tongue twisters I used to learn in school, For example:

Peter Picked a Pickle, Peter piper picked.    

If I don’t have right, sorry about that.  All my energies are going into taking care of my Dad.  It’s not looking too good.   

Everyone have a happy Labor Day Weekend and stay safe.  All my prayers go to the Harvey victims in Texas.

Sincerest Dr. Rev. Rebecca L. Burkett

15 hours ago, RBurkett67 said:

This is the first time I have heard of a Haiku.  From what I have read online, the meaning is small or large lines of a poem, poetry, and even writing in a journal. 

The Haiku is a Japanese form of writing:   In Japanese, haiku are traditionally printed in a single vertical line while haiku in English often appear in three lines to parallel the three phrases of Japanese haiku. Previously called hokku, haiku was given its current name by the Japanese writer Masaoka Shiki at the end of the 19th century.  (Wikkipedia.com, Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku, 13 August 2017, at 19:13.  

My Poem is 939 lines:

Rain! Rain! Go Away Come Again Some Other Day!

These short poems remind me of the tongue twisters I used to learn in school, For example:

Peter Picked a Pickle, Peter piper picked.    

If I don’t have right, sorry about that.  All my energies are going into taking care of my Dad.  It’s not looking too good.   

Everyone have a happy Labor Day Weekend and stay safe.  All my prayers go to the Harvey victims in Texas.

Sincerest Dr. Rev. Rebecca L. Burkett

I learned of Haiku while in high school, barely 40 years ago. The rules of the poem were simple. It should consist of three lines following the formula of: 5 syllables for the first line, 7 syllables for the second, and back to 5 for the last. The concept isn't that it should rhyme, but rather should create imagery or meaning that the reader may be able to identify. Often entertaining, I find.

Hope your Labor Day has been enjoyable.

Edited by Key
Spelling and additional comment.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...