What ever happened to jediism, ummm....not sure how to go about spelling that.  I used to hear a lot about it in the news, but I guess the sensation died off.  I remember when I was here before there was a member who actively practiced jediism, but I cannot for the life of me remember their name.  Just got to wondering...

• Like 1

• Administrator

I know of two people who actively practice. (Not members of the forum as far as I know.) Both are female. One lives in the US, and the other abroad. At the time I recall it being in the news,a long while back, it was when it there was a big push to have it recognized as a religion. That was happening in the UK if my memory serves correctly!

• Like 1

rev wayne(not his jedi name)was an active member on this forum at one time.i do not know anymore about him.

from what i hear,there is the california assembly of jedi(s)(not sure that is the correct name)and australia had an active assembly,but i can't say for sure now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mark 45 said:

rev wayne(not his jedi name)was an active member on this forum at one time.i do not know anymore about him.

from what i hear,there is the california assembly of jedi(s)(not sure that is the correct name)and australia had an active assembly,but i can't say for sure now.

Greetings to you my brother,

As I have been going thru and purging the dead links, the ones that I have found so far that refer to the California Assembly of Jedis no longer were active.  

In solidarity,

Reverend Calli

With the surge of new material coming out that adds to, or possibly detracts from, the canon the religion is based on, I assume it may be difficult for the adherents of the religion to keep up with the expanding myth.

Its not that different from reconstructionist religions, in a way.  Instead of new stories to keep up with, there's new archeological evidence and theories to keep us on our toes and challenge what we think we know about the religion we're reconstructing.

I hadn't considered the canon.  It's funny that I hadn't because my oldest son constantly tells me about what is and is not canon anymore, we used to read the books pretty religiously(pun intended).  Then the Disney universe did away with all that stuff we had read before, and it kind of made me feel like it was a waste of time reading what used to be canon but what hadn't existed after all...not a complete waste of time, as I had fun reading the stories with my kid, but it really didn't go anywhere in the end.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

With the surge of new material coming out that adds to, or possibly detracts from, the canon the religion is based on, I assume it may be difficult for the adherents of the religion to keep up with the expanding myth.

Its not that different from reconstructionist religions, in a way.  Instead of new stories to keep up with, there's new archeological evidence and theories to keep us on our toes and challenge what we think we know about the religion we're reconstructing.

I went to look for what the canon or central tenet is and this popped up on Wikipedia:

Although followers of Jediism acknowledge the influence of Star Wars on their religion, by following the moral and spiritual codes demonstrated by the fictional Jedi,[6] they also insist their path is different from that of the fictional characters and that Jediism does not focus on the myth and fiction found in Star Wars.[7] The Jedi follow the "16 teachings" based on the presentation of the fictional Jedi, such as "Jedi are mindful of the negative emotions which lead to the Dark Side" and "Jedi are guardians of peace and justice".[8]Adherents also follow "21 maxims"  -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jediism

I can't say I know enough about the religion and based on it's name I unfortunately did assume the system would be based on fictional Jedi. This opens up some curiosity at my end to investigate.

3 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Then the Disney universe did away with all that stuff we had read before

I had a fairly uncomfortable conversation with a guy at GenCon a couple years back. He was absolutely irate about the new movies ignoring the old books. A guy from the 501st was using the ATM behind him, and rolled his eyes at me in sympathy while leaving. When the grown man in the stormtrooper uniform thinks you take Star Wars too seriously...

Edited by mererdog

13 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

Yep...I don't take it that seriously lol.  But then again, some people claim it as their religion, so I assume they take it seriously.

I don't know about that. People are good at compartmentalizing. It seems like it would be easy to take the ideas in Star Wars seriously without actually taking Star Wars seriously. I've known Christians who think most of the stuff in the Bible is silly...

3 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Yep...I don't take it that seriously lol.  But then again, some people claim it as their religion, so I assume they take it seriously.

People also claim the Flying Spaghetti Monster as their religion.  That does not mean they take it seriously.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

That also happens in Christianity, as scholars and theologians continue to rethink and redevelop our understanding of the teachings of Christ and what they have meant throughout the centuries.  

IMHO, any faith system that does not continue to challenge it's fundamental beliefs is doomed to die,as it becomes irrelevant in a society that continues to grow and develop.

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

4 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

That also happens in Christianity, as scholars and theologians continue to rethink and redevelop our understanding of the teachings of Christ and what they have meant throughout the centuries.  

IMHO, any faith system that does not continue to challenge it's fundamental beliefs is doomed to die,as it becomes irrelevant in a society that continues to grow and develop.

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Jediism has already changed too much.  It started off as modified Taoism.  The whole Light vs. Dark thing has it's roots in Taoism.  It was over simplified and badly done, but it was Taoism.  Now, it's Disney.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Jediism has already changed too much.  It started off as modified Taoism.  The whole Light vs. Dark thing has it's roots in Taoism.  It was over simplified and badly done, but it was Taoism.  Now, it's Disney.  

Perhaps somebody will start a Restored Church of the Jedi and return the faith to its original roots.   

In solidarity,

Rev.. Calli

Edited by Rev. Calli
Forgot my signature.

3 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Perhaps somebody will start a Restored Church of the Jedi and return the faith to its original roots.   

In solidarity,

Rev.. Calli

Real Taoism still exists.  Light and Dark are not in conflict.  They are in dynamic harmony.  Heat and Cold,  Yang and Yin. Hard and Soft.  Wet and Dry.   There is no war.  No conflict.

The Jedi and Sith war based on Light and Dark is total crap.  The mythology has degenerated to Disney selling toy light sabers and action figures.  Disney is after all, the true evil empire. 

I can also tell you -- as a Reiki Master  and Qi Gong practitioner -- the Force Powers don't work that way.  Neither are they that much fun.  

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

20 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Real Taoism still exists.  Light and Dark are not in conflict.  They are in dynamic harmony.  Heat and Cold,  Yang and Yin. Hard and Soft.  Wet and Dry.   There is no war.  No conflict.

The Jedi and Sith war based on Light and Dark is total crap.  The mythology has degenerated to Disney selling toy light sabers and action figures.  Disney is after all, the true evil empire. 

I can also tell you -- as a Reiki Master  and Qi Gong practitioner -- the Force Powers don't work that way.  Neither are they that much fun.  

Does that mean that you cannot control my mind with a slight wave of your........things to do today.....take wife out to eat....transfer money in my bank account to Jonathan,...wait, what the heck....:lol:

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

1 hour ago, Rev. Calli said:

Does that mean that you cannot control my mind with a slight wave of your........things to do today.....take wife out to eat....transfer money in my bank account to Jonathan,...wait, what the heck....:lol:

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

I have no control over your mind.  Only some earnest advice.  Keep your wife happy.  "Happy wife.  Happy life."     :D 

14 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I have no control over your mind.  Only some earnest advice.  Keep your wife happy.  "Happy wife.  Happy life."     :D 

After 40 years of marriage (well in August it will be 40), I can assure you that the Maxim "Happy Wife, happy life" are words I live by.  One can be a fallen sinner, and Christ will easily forgive.  Upset thine wife, and prepare fo the fires of hell:evil:

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli