Forum Area Movement & Maintenance

• Administrator

Hello everyone,

You rarely hear from me although I do lurk around the forum now and then to check status and other things. I occasionally handle fixes to the forum here and there. Today is one of those days where I get to do major stuff after coordinating with Brother Kevin and Murph. :)

The forum is currently undergoing the process of new arrangement within some of the forum areas. I apologize if this causes any confusion or inconvenience.

While movement is going on, please be sure to save the text of your post before hitting the post button! In case I am moving that forum and you hit submit on a post you create, your post could be lost!

A changelog of what has moved will be posted shortly, although you can probably already see where things are a bit different. Thank you in advance for your patience! :wub:

Edited by Amulet
changed topic title from "June 9-10" because major maintenance extended beyond the dates.
  • Like 1

• Administrator

Changelog:

Several forums were relocated. A few had their names changed. *Nearly all have had their descriptions changed.*

Since descriptions for each forum have been updated, please be sure you are posting your topics in the correct area.
- The changes should offer more clarity for where to post topics! 

Forum Name Changed:
Parenting and Spirituality forum name changed to Family Matters and Spirituality / now removed. topics merged.
Maintenance forum had its sub-forum renamed to Bug Reporting
Current Events forum renamed to Social Issues, Ethics and Government

Access Changed:
Debate Forums are open to all and are located in the section named Other Interests.

Pinned Topics and Locked Topics:
Some posts that were pinned in each forum have been locked and unpinned. They show a "feature star" for now. It is a green star next to the topic title.

If you see a feature star post. There is a good chance it is locked. It is time to start that topic as new! You are encouraged to start it up again as a new post. Be sure someone hasn't started it up again before you! :thumbu:

On the To-Do / In Progress List:
Much older posts are in queue to be archived.
Some posts will be moved to sections that fit better with the forum description.

And one reiteration of this to help avert confusion: 

Since descriptions for each forum have been updated, please be sure you are posting your topics in the correct area.

Send any questions or comments this way. Have a great weekend! :clover:

• Like 1

• Administrator

The forum named Universal Beliefs and Thoughts will be undergoing some changes.

It is currently renamed to Beliefs and Thoughts.
Many of the older pages from before 2013 are now located in the archive.

This forum will be undergoing other changes where more current posts will be moved to sections that fit with other forum descriptions better based on their content.

• Administrator

Changelog:

Feature updates:

A sidebar was added to the right of the forum.

A recent visitor bar was added to the bottom of the forum.

Stylization:

Forum Colors: are getting an update and will continue cycling through different color sets until settled.

Post Editor: return key is set to go to the next line vs. start a new paragraph.
Emoticons: early emoticon arrangement is set to emotes most often used / "default" emotes.
Staff Directory: split into two sections with an updated title to each section: Moderators. Administration.

Colors and styling updated to identify users on the forum:

Owner: Orange, bold, italic
Administrator: Red, bold, italic

Super Moderator: Bright Blue, bold
Moderator: Blue, bold

Member: Green

Guest: Black, italic

Ranks and pips are being adjusted and a new graphic set is in queue to be custom created and uploaded.

• Administrator

Activity achievement titles and pips:

The new titles and pips are posted in the Admin Announcement forum here: 

http://ulc.net/forum/topic/163721-new-titles-new-pips/

Forum Names and Descriptions Updated:
The forum known as ULC, In General - was changed to the name ULC Minister's Junction 

The description has updated to: Discussing minister services, including: weddings, baptisms, funerals, offering spiritual guidance, other services to the community, and start-up, etc.

Share your experiences or ask about "how-to."

The forum named Stories, Beliefs and Trials is now named Stories, Beliefs and Traditions. The forum description is updated.

The forum named Off Topic located in Domestic Life is renamed to The Kitchen Sink. The forum description is updated.

The Member Links forum name was changed to ULC Congregations and Member Websites. The forum has been relocated.

The forum named ULC Links was mostly composed of sites belonging to members. It was merged into the new ULC Congregations and Member Websites forum.

Rev. Calli is the moderator overseeing approval for this forum, as well as overseeing the ULC Congregations forum which does not need approval to post in currently.

Removal and Archiving:

The forum recently renamed to Family Matters and Spirituality (formerly Parenting and Spirituality) had its topics merged to other relevant forums and is now removed.

The Holidays and Observances forum was removed. Topics were moved into other areas based on the post content.

Most were moved to the following forums: Blessings, Good Wishes and Prayers / Stories Beliefs and Traditions / Beliefs and Thoughts.

Electronics FAQ sub forums have been archived.
The Electronics forum (main area) has been renamed to The Internet, Security and Electronics for discussion about all topics related to the subject.

The forum description is updated to reflect the type of content to post in the forum.

Old Administration Announcement topics are in the Trashcan.

Other:

The external/redirect links forum named "Links" now includes a link to the Congregation database directory.

Seminary was added to the list of links external to the forum.

A link to the subscription page for the ULC Monthly newsletter was added to the link section. (Be sure to subscribe!)

• Amulet featured this topic
  • Amulet locked and unlocked this topic
  • Administrator

Removal and Archiving:

The forum recently renamed to Family Matters and Spirituality (formerly Parenting and Spirituality) had its topics merged to other relevant forums and is now removed.

The Holidays and Observances forum was removed. Topics were moved into other areas based on the post content.

Most were moved to the following forums: Blessings, Good Wishes and Prayers / Stories Beliefs and Traditions / Beliefs and Thoughts.

Electronics FAQ sub forums have been archived.
The Electronics forum (main area) has been renamed to The Internet, Security and Electronics for discussion about all topics related to the subjects.

The forum description is updated to reflect the type of content to post in the forum.

Old Administration Announcement topics are in the Trashcan.

Other:

The external/redirect links forum named "Links" now includes a link to the Congregation database directory.

Seminary was added to the list of links external to the forum.

A link to the sign up page to receive the ULC Monthly newsletter was added to the link section. (Be sure to subscribe!)

• Administrator

Code:

Some code handling was re-worked on the back-end to allow for faster load speed, especially for mobile. If you visit the forum using  mobile and are having any kind of issues with the site rendering or load speed (not related to your connection) please post a message in bug reporting or send a PM. Thank you!

Theme Reset:

• The theme currently installed has been a mobile responsive theme since its installation a year ago. It was brought to my attention that some still had the old theme selected not realizing another choice was available.
  • A site-wide reset was initiated to have all members defaulted to use the Tranquility theme. If you choose the Classic theme, please note; code is out of date and may affect functionality.

Theme selection is at the bottom of the forum in the footer.

• Administrator

New Features Available:

Cover Photos:

• Members and Volunteer Staff are now able to upload profile cover photos! Hooray! :thumbu:

Click your avatar, head to Profile and on your profile page you can add a profile cover photo. If you know how to reduce the file size of your image before uploading it we appreciate the courtesy! Enjoy!

• Avatars/profile images that we see for each member when they post was changed from round to square which is friendlier to work with.

Again, with images; if you know how to reduce the file size at your end and maintain good quality, excellent! Every little bit helps.

Notification Settings:

There are a lot to choose from after today.

Click your name (to the right of your avatar) at the top right of the forum and go to Account Settings. Here you can adjust many new settings for types of notifications, emails etc., which were not available before. The range of choices that can be selected in that area go all the way up and down the page!  

• Administrator

All this time I wondered why nobody had any questions or comments about the changes and it turns out this forum wasn't set up for commenting lol. Well that has been fixed! :llol:
How's everything working out? :clap:

• Administrator
On 6/16/2017 at 9:42 AM, mererdog said:

Ironically enough, the Bug Reporting area doesn't seem to allow for new topics. Might just be my weird permissions....

Oops! It wasn't your permissions. When it moved the permissions to post shut off for everyone. It is fixed. Thank you!

• Administrator

Universal Spirituality has been renamed to Universal Virtues and Spirituality.

The forum description has been updated.

A pinned post has been added to the forum to direct topic creation.

**This forum is a work in progress.**

Many topics currently in the forum will be relocated for better placement of the subject matter. Once sorted to get a better view of the remaining content, it may undergo more changes.

If an old, relevant topic is locked and looks interesting, please be encouraged to start a new one and get new conversation going! 

Edited by Amulet
added new information

• Administrator

Several forums are still in cleanup mode. Specifically the Virtues and Spirituality forum, the Beliefs and Thoughts Forum, and the Congregation and Member Links forum.

The Staff Directory has been updated to reflect members who have been active more recently. Admins and moderators who have been on an extended hiatus are recognized as Distinguished Members in our member groups. The text for their group color is indicated as green, italic.  Prayer Partners and Mentors have been added to the directory.

• Administrator

Emoticons and smileys are in the process of being updated and categorized.

Two new categories exist using flat emojis with more to come. Unfortunately the dimensions of the newer emojis are not suitable for the forum at the moment.

Categories are:
Emoji Symbols

Emoji - Zodiac & Moon Phase

The classic smiley emoticons will remain and will also be categorized for ease of selection. Have fun! :LLAP::kiss:

- A "like" button has been reactivated in the system and is located on the bottom right of a post if it is not your own.
Likes to not give points or add reputation or clout to a post or reply. It is available as an acknowledgment that an item has been read, etc.

I have a basic complaint. I do not want to participate in topics in the Debate Area, but many topics I started have been moved there. It is my opinion that debate is an integral part of any serious discussion, but that discussion where debate is the sole purpose is boring.

• Like 1

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, mererdog said:

I have a basic complaint. I do not want to participate in topics in the Debate Area, but many topics I started have been moved there. It is my opinion that debate is an integral part of any serious discussion, but that discussion where debate is the sole purpose is boring.

No problem. I'll take a look at what is going on there. Some things are shifting between areas so we can see and sort through what is left and continue even more sorting to put everything where it is supposed to go. A few complicated areas are giving us a headache. What is your thought for where the topics properly belong? No need to argue for them. Just want to know what your thoughts are about where they best fit and maybe that will alleviate the mixup. Thanks!

• Administrator
On 6/28/2017 at 3:33 AM, Key said:

I'm not seeing this "like" button you mentioned. But I do like how the forum has been changing so far. Appreciate all of y'all's hard work here.

Thank you! There's some cool stuff coming up so stay tuned! :)

On a PC the like button is all the way to the right of a post. It won't show up on your own. I'm not sure if/how it might show up on a mobile device. Let me know if you find it! 

1 hour ago, Amulet said:

Thank you! There's some cool stuff coming up so stay tuned! :)

On a PC the like button is all the way to the right of a post. It won't show up on your own. I'm not sure if/how it might show up on a mobile device. Let me know if you find it! 

Well I'm not seeing a like button either. I can see where 1 person likes this but no button to like a post. I've hoovered my mouse over the entire right portion of several posts and I'm just not seeing it.

• Like 1