political correctness and communication

cuchulain

I quite liked the term "differently abled", but since I'm mundanely abled, I don't think it's any of my business to choose.

Again. it's almost certainly well meant, but renaming a group of people to "protect" them seems awfully patronizing to me.

32 minutes ago, Seeker said:

I quite liked the term "differently abled", but since I'm mundanely abled, I don't think it's any of my business to choose.

Again. it's almost certainly well meant, but renaming a group of people to "protect" them seems awfully patronizing to me.

I have a condition which qualifies as a disability.  Most of the time, it is not obvious, but it is there.  I am not "differently abled'.  What utter bull crap.  

On 7/1/2017 at 3:20 PM, Seeker said:

.Again. it's almost certainly well meant, but renaming a group of people to "protect" them seems awfully patronizing to me.

Most of the time, I don't believe it is really well meant, nor that it is really about protecting anyone. If it were about protecting people, basic "No harm? No foul" rules would apply. Instead, you just end up with a list of words that can never be said, regardless of context or impact. That tells me it is really about prejudice against people who are seen as prejudiced, and a desire to punish them. 

Brother Kaman used the word "crippled." I can use that as proof that he is prejudiced against the differently abled, and use that to justify treating him badly. I can impugn his character, his upbringing, his family, or even his entire culture, all while sitting on a throne built out of assumed moral superiority. Its intoxicating stuff...

20 minutes ago, RevBogovac said:

Who is the "owner"? (This is not a rhetorical, but a more "tricky" [or philosophical, if you will] question you might think.)

The person who pays for the server space and bandwidth usage owns the forum, in the same way that the person who pays the mortgage owns the house.

To perhaps clear up a common misconception, this forum is not owned or run by the ULC, itself. The ULC and The ULC Online are separate entities.

Edited by mererdog

11 minutes ago, mererdog said:

The person who pays for the server space and bandwidth usage owns the forum, in the same way that the person who pays the mortgage owns the house.

Going a bit "off-topic" now, but still: "The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying This is mine, and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody." Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men.

16 minutes ago, RevBogovac said:

Going a bit "off-topic" now, but still: 

It would be hypocritical in the extreme for me to complain about that. So I will probably do it eventually.

Anyway, the natural order has each individual fighting tooth and nail for his piece of the pie. Even where animals of the same pack or hive share with one another, they do not share with outsiders. To say that ownership causes strife ignores this.

What ownership actually does is create a moral obligation. That moral obligation, in turn,  provides motive to be less grasping and less violent. It is not a panacea, of course, so people still act on the instinct to simply take what they want and fight anyone who tries to stop them. But it does lessen the problem.

Edited by mererdog

5 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Of course.  Obvious when you put it that way.     :D 

If you want to go beyond the obvious, we could talk about how our country's Puritan Heritage shapes our society. 

Edited by mererdog

1 hour ago, RevBogovac said:

Still, what is "owned" here? The [rent on] the servers are [IMHO] irrelevant. 

It isn't irrelevant. He pays to store the words, so he decides what words get stored. To assert otherwise is to try to enslave him to the whims of others. 

1 hour ago, RevBogovac said:

Still, what is "owned" here? The [rent on] the servers are [IMHO] irrelevant. Whatever is typed here are someone's own ideas put into words. And they (should) own (up to) them.

I'm not sure about this particular forum (It's been a long time since I joined), but the TOS of most forums that I've read have something in there about anything you post becomes the property of that forum. JS

When you agree to the TOS you agree to that term.

Edited by Pastor Dave

48 minutes ago, Pastor Dave said:

I'm not sure about this particular forum (It's been a long time since I joined), but the TOS of most forums that I've read have something in there about anything you post becomes the property of that forum.

The TOS expressly states that no ownership interest is exchanged. Instead, you grant limited license to copy, modify and/or delete your work. It allows us to post work we may want to sell at a later date, while allowing the admins to keep the site in line with the owner's wishes. It took a couple weeks to get the language right on that part.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mererdog said:

The TOS expressly states that no ownership interest is exchanged. Instead, you grant limited license to copy, modify and/or delete your work. It allows us to post work we may want to sell at a later date, while allowing the admins to keep the site in line with the owner's wishes. It took a couple weeks to get the language right on that part.

Greetings to you my brothers,

All quite true.  We do not give up the copyright to the original posts we make.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

The servers store bits of information; essentially 0's and 1's. It's funny to think of those as containing anything more; my ideas are my ideas (in whatever form or by whatever medium I choose to spread them). The fact that someone can choose to monetise them by "repackaging" and "reselling" is their right (as well as the choice to delete them). But I still find it "silly" to see that as "ownership of the words"... If you say/type them, "you own them"... the renter of the sevrers can merely choose to delete them from sight for other visitors... but still "silly"...

And I even remember Rev. Calli claiming the "intellectual property" of his words in another forum here...

4 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Still, what is "owned" here? The [rent on] the servers are [IMHO] irrelevant. Whatever is typed here are someone's own ideas put into words. And they (should) own (up to) them. It seems "silly" to me trying to censor anything... 

One always has the option of creating their own Web site, starting a forum (or anything else) and having your own rules or no rules for what is posted. I have always smiled at those who thought forums and other Web sites were owned by those who used it. Google owns it's Web site. Do you complain about their rules? Let the owners of this Web site shut it down and see who owns it. The folks who do own this Web site are kind enough to allow us to litter it with our pseudo intellectual rantings but I am afraid even they have certain sensibilities as to what they feel is appopriate. 

11 minutes ago, Brother Kaman said:

One always has the option of creating their own Web site, starting a forum (or anything else) and having your own rules or no rules for what is posted. I have always smiled at those who thought forums and other Web sites were owned by those who used it. Google owns it's Web site. Do you complain about their rules? Let the owners of this Web site shut it down and see who owns it. The folks who do own this Web site are kind enough to allow us to litter it with our pseudo intellectual rantings but I am afraid even they have certain sensibilities as to what they feel is appopriate. 

So there is a distinction then; sure, someone who "owns" the forum/website has a say of what it contains (or not). Still a bit silly to censor any ideas that are spread if the "owner" chooses to have a forum on the website. The very idea of a forum is a "designated space for public expression" so any censorship is a bit of a contradiction in terms, isn't it?