Does the human soul exist?

cuchulain

36 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Skeptic is a problem word.  One of the worst.  If your goal is to avoid offending people, I would find something different.  

I don't really care anymore if I offend someone's poor delicate sensibilities... :) Offended is a state of being that comes solely from the person who is offended, no matter what anyone says about them. And if words are the worst they have to deal with in life...That's just my opinion, of course.

Edited by cuchulain

1 hour ago, cuchulain said:

I'm still wondering exactly how the term skeptic is a problem word, lol.

Alright.  On reflection, it's a bias I picked up along the way.  I encountered a few "Skeptic" groups, where "Skeptic" was shorthand for --  You're full of crap and we're going to prove it.  The memories are bad.  Odd really.  It's been years.  I learned a few harsh lessons about extremist thinking.  Perhaps, not well enough.  

It can be a problem word.  It depends on who's using it -- and why -- and how.  

Returning to the actual topic:

I still do not care to take a position on the presence or absence of my own soul.   I don't know.   Still, the topic here specifies the Human Soul.  Why, I wonder?  If Humans have souls -- Big if -- then surely all  the other species also have souls.  All of them -- or none.  

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

On 6/8/2017 at 9:44 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Alright.  On reflection, it's a bias I picked up along the way.  I encountered a few "Skeptic" groups, where "Skeptic" was shorthand for --  You're full of crap and we're going to prove it.  The memories are bad.  Odd really.  It's been years.  I learned a few harsh lessons about extremist thinking.  Perhaps, not well enough.  

I see.  I didn't mean it that way, I think I meant it the way it originally was intended.  I will view things in a skeptical light, that is...not believe until there is evidence.

On 6/9/2017 at 0:55 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Returning to the actual topic:

I still do not care to take a position on the presence or absence of my own soul.   I don't know.   Still, the topic here specifies the Human Soul.  Why, I wonder?  If Humans have souls -- Big if -- then surely all  the other species also have souls.  All of them -- or none.  

I understand that humans can see in color, but dogs cannot.  If that is a difference, then certainly there is room for other differences as well?  But as you said, we don't know in the first place eh?

2 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I understand that humans can see in color, but dogs cannot.  If that is a difference, then certainly there is room for other differences as well?  But as you said, we don't know in the first place eh?

Of course.  Over the years, I have lived with quite a few cats.  I don't know that my cats had souls.  I don't know that my cats did not have souls.  The same as my own condition.  But -- if I have a soul -- my cats had just as much soul as I did.  If my cats lacked soul -- they were no more lacking than me.

What I refuse to consider is that I have a soul and cats don't.  Like wise -- horses, wolves, birds, etc.  Either we all have souls, or none of us have souls.  We are all part of Nature.  There is no dividing line between Humanity and other natural life forms.  

Beyond that, I can state that cats think.  Cat mind is different from Human mind, but just as real.  Yes, there are differences.  I don't know how similar or dissimilar souls might be.  This, I have not observed.

Johnathan.  If you don't mind me asking, as it isn't precisely on topic, but I believe you have some experience with resources and such on the subject of internal energy and meditations and healing, etc...?  I may be mistakenly thinking something else.  I was wondering if there are any good references you could give for the skeptic?  I am not trying to disprove or prove, simply seeking information.  If you don't that's cool too, just thought I would ask. :) 

2 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Johnathan.  If you don't mind me asking, as it isn't precisely on topic, but I believe you have some experience with resources and such on the subject of internal energy and meditations and healing, etc...?  I may be mistakenly thinking something else.  I was wondering if there are any good references you could give for the skeptic?  I am not trying to disprove or prove, simply seeking information.  If you don't that's cool too, just thought I would ask. :) 

Yes.  I have a background.

Meditation:  Basic breath work, LeShan Healing Meditation

Energy Healing:  Reiki Master, Therapeutic Touch practitioner,  a few other things that I investigated and dropped.  

Currently taking classes in Qi Gong, Tai Chi and Yoga.  I also had the beginners course in "Tai Chi for Arthritis".  I have osteo-arthritis.  

Other:  PanGu ShenGong  (Moving Form, Internal Form, Healing method)  

I had a few sour giggles when Whats-his-name tried to impress me with his deep understand of the aura -- which he called the "Holy Spirit" and "orbs".  Shallow opinionated twit.  He said I was a materialist and not spiritual.  

Anyway, what did you have in mind?

I've been looking into Qi Gong lately, but really I'm trying to decide what the energy in the body is, if it is malleable and usable in such a way.  I don't know really what I am looking for in finding this information.  There is a place in town that offers Shaolin Qi Gong, Meditation, well...lot's of things really.  I guess I was probably looking for opinions on the legitimacy of this energy, and whether it is always considered of a spiritual basis or not.  

11 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

I've been looking into Qi Gong lately, but really I'm trying to decide what the energy in the body is, if it is malleable and usable in such a way.  I don't know really what I am looking for in finding this information.  There is a place in town that offers Shaolin Qi Gong, Meditation, well...lot's of things really.  I guess I was probably looking for opinions on the legitimacy of this energy, and whether it is always considered of a spiritual basis or not.  

The Qi in Qi Gong is one of those things where -- the more I learn, the less sure I am of what I understand.

I am not acquainted with Shaolin Qi Gong.  If it is like other things I have looked into -- the focus is on correct deep breathing coordinated with movement.  The movement functions as physical therapy.  The breathing has it's own benefits.  As to the energy, I'm of several different minds.  

I'm sure you can find examples of it on Youtube.  Everything ends up on Youtube.  

An addendum:

I went to Youtube and looked up Shaolin Qi Gong.  What I got was Ba Duan Jin.

Ba Duan Jin is like Tai Chi.  It is easily recognizable, but there are countless variations.

My Tai Chi instructor teaches a form of Ba Duan Jin.  It is similar to the Shaolin form, but there are differences.  I don't know what your local school is teaching.  You might want to spend some time on Youtube before you visit.  

I don't know how much help I can be.  If you want to discuss it, I'm here for you.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:59 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Currently taking classes in Qi Gong, Tai Chi and Yoga.  I also had the beginners course in "Tai Chi for Arthritis".  I have osteo-arthritis.  

Long ago, my grandmother's doctor suggested Tai Chi to help with her arthritis. The first teacher she tried spent the first half hour of the class talking about what chi is and how it can be harnessed for healing purposes. She didn't stay for the whole class and never tried another teacher.

Luckily, her first yoga class wasn't heavy on the "chakra talk." The regular exercize and the social environment did her a lot of good.

On 6/8/2017 at 7:44 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said: