The Nature Of Ribs

mererdog

On 6/11/2017 at 5:32 AM, mererdog said:

Thanks. I was hoping that would happen to at least one person, but people usually don't say anything about the title unless it has a typo or is a blatant bait and switch... so I expected to never know whether it worked. ;)  

Titles are so often just used as attention getters that most people that actually read the article tend to disregard the title as anything much more than that... an attention getter. Sorry to say I missed it... really sorry. It's hard to get humor on a written page until you get to know the writer a bit better.

7 hours ago, AmberLF said:

. Sorry to say I missed it... really sorry. It's hard to get humor on a written page until you get to know the writer a bit better.

I read the Discworld novels out of sequence. I don't remember which one I started with, but I was halfway through it when my father told me it was a spoof. The second half read like a completely different book.

And now I need to mention that Alzheimer's disease is one of my absolute least favorite things.

Edited by mererdog

4 hours ago, mererdog said:

I read the Discworld novels out of sequence. I don't remember which one I started with, but I was halfway through it when my father told me it was a spoof. The second half read like a completely different book.

And now I need to mention that Alzheimer's disease is one of my absolute least favorite things.

I read one of the disc world books.  In what way was it a spoof?  I didn't get that at all.  

9 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I read one of the disc world books.  In what way was it a spoof?  I didn't get that at all.  

It kind of depends on where you were in the series. Broadly speaking, the series takes familiar conventions from the fantasy genre and reframes them for comic effect. He could be very subtle about it, but he wasn't afraid to use a recurring character named Cohen the Barbarian. 

Edited by mererdog

2 hours ago, mererdog said:

It kind of depends on where you were in the series. Broadly speaking, the series takes familiar conventions from the fantasy genre and reframes them for comic effect. He could be very subtle about it, but he wasn't afraid to use a recurring character named Cohen the Barbarian. 

I'll take your word for it.  I don't remember a character with that name.  The local fighter that their "lucky" young woman went off with?  

4 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I'll take your word for it.  I don't remember a character with that name.  The local fighter that their "lucky" young woman went off with?  

Who, Cohen? He's the world's most deadly octogenarian. A barbarian lord whose age is proof that he is really good at not dying. The sort of honest and direct sort you should never tell "I would die for my king!" A force of nature in a very small loincloth.

But he's not in all the books. I'm pretty sure no character is. Pratchett would seem to fall in love with a character or premise for a time, then move on to something newer and shinier. He was averaging two novels a year, so that's understandable...

3 hours ago, mererdog said:

Who, Cohen? He's the world's most deadly octogenarian. A barbarian lord whose age is proof that he is really good at not dying. The sort of honest and direct sort you should never tell "I would die for my king!" A force of nature in a very small loincloth.

But he's not in all the books. I'm pretty sure no character is. Pratchett would seem to fall in love with a character or premise for a time, then move on to something newer and shinier. He was averaging two novels a year, so that's understandable...

I only read one of the books.  Not that one.