Happy 55th Anniversary ULC & ULCHQ Celebration Weekend!

• Owner

It's been 55 years this month since Kirby Hensley decided to incorporate the rapidly-growing church that he founded in the garage of the Hensley family home.  On May 2, 1962 papers were filed with the Secretary of State, establishing the Universal Life Church as a not-for-profit corporation headquartered in the state of California.  

Over the decades, the church grew like wildfire, attracting attention around the world for its "novel" doctrine, that religious freedom is a natural right of all peaceful people, not something to be tampered with or unduly regulated by governments.  Surprisingly, or perhaps not, that simple doctrine, the very same one enshrined in the words of the U.S. Constitution's very First Amendment, was deemed controversial by some, and resulted in a flurry of legal battles over whether churches truly have the right to exist without government approval or consent.

Although federal judge James Battin ruled strongly, eloquently, and unambiguously on this in the landmark case ULC vs USA in 1974, those legal battles continued to pop up as state and local governments would seek to stop ministers of our beautiful church from practicing their religious convictions in the same peaceful manner that ministers of the "big dog" churches do!   Through the years,  the tireless efforts of the Universal Life Church and the Hensley family have continued to thwart and repel those who would infringe on one of our most cherished of liberties.

It is with sincere appreciation and heartfelt gratitude that we acknowledge the continued work and mission that is today carried forward by Kirby Hensley's son and current church president Andre Hensley. Through the years, the church in Modesto has had to stand up not only to government infringement on the natural rights of the governed, but has also had to contend with various rogues, knock-offs, and usurpers who have surfaced from time to time. Some have sought to misappropriate the famous name and history of the church, others have simply tarnished the church's reputation through misdeeds, sometimes even downright fraud. Such is the price of freedom.

Through it all, the genuine church in Modesto has remained committed to the fundamental, universal doctrine of absolute religious freedom for all peaceful people, and to do only that which is right.

Please join us at ULC Online in wishing President Hensley and the staff at church headquarters a Happy 55th Anniversary and well-wishes for the future.  Add your comments to this post, to be included in a special acknowledgment to be presented to Modesto in honor of this milestone.

If you are not yet receiving the ULC Online Newsletter, be sure to subscribe nowWe'll start to include you in our monthly mailing right away.

ULCHQ55_forum.jpg

• Like 1

Without the ULC, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to officiate the marriage of those closest to me.  I'm very grateful that this organization exits, so those of us practicing minority religions are able to be ordained, and to participate in the interfaith community that has been built up by the various members of the ULC over the years.  It is an honor to be part of this group.  May the Theoi bless the ULC with many more productive years to come.

• Administrator

Happy Anniversary! Writing this I am realizing how much time has passed since my ordination and how much ULC has been part of my life all this time! I still have relationships with the people I met on this forum 15 years ago! Thx HQ for your support! 

• Owner

"Neither this Court, nor any branch of this Government, will consider the merits or fallacies of a religion. Nor will the Court compare the beliefs, dogmas, and practices of a newly organized religion with those of an older, more established religion. Nor will the Court praise or condemn a religion, however excellent or fanatical or preposterous it may seem. Were the Court to do so, it would impinge upon the guarantees of the First Amendment."

I'd love to have been there to see Kirby's reaction to hearing these words from Judge Battin's ruling in ULC v USA!   43 years later, and those words still resonate and give me a thrill!

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

I want to add my own congratulations to the Hensley family and all those who have worked so hard to make the ULC the church (in the truest sense of the word) that it is today.  In truth, I have never requested ordination by the ULC because the rules of the denomination I am ordained in forbid me to do so.  But, as an American, I applaud the ULC for being the one genuine church that empowers all people, whatever their belief system is, to exercise their faith and share the ideas and insights that they have received thru the Creator or their own life experiences.   

We may not agree on all things.  But the ULC helps to protect the rights of all people to think for themselves and seek God in their own ways. For this, we all owe Kirby Hensley and all those who have worked so hard to continue to keep the ULC alive our gratitude.  

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know that I would have learned as much about other belief systems or philosophical ponderings without the ULC in existence. Congratulations and thank you for all your diligent hard work and acceptance of all who would come to you.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2017 at 4:50 PM, Brother Kevin said:

Hello, although I was Ordained on 8/11/2003, I am new here. Happy 55th Anniversary President Hensley and Staff. My sincere well wishes to you in the future. I have always been a Believer in the fundamental, universal doctrine of absolute religious freedom for all peaceful people. I am truly privileged to be amongst you my Family.

If I may, I would like to send my Blessings to our Brothers and Sisters in Las Vegas. There has just been the deadliest mass shooting in US history. At least 50 people are dead and at least 200 injured. I am a Feeler and my Heart is hurting.

On 10/2/2017 at 9:01 AM, HerMagickEmpress said:

Hello, although I was Ordained on 8/11/2003, I am new here. Happy 55th Anniversary President Hensley and Staff. My sincere well wishes to you in the future. I have always been a Believer in the fundamental, universal doctrine of absolute religious freedom for all peaceful people. I am truly privileged to be amongst you my Family.

If I may, I would like to send my Blessings to our Brothers and Sisters in Las Vegas. There has just been the deadliest mass shooting in US history. At least 50 people are dead and at least 200 injured. I am a Feeler and my Heart is hurting.

Welcome to the board.  Do join the conversations in progress.