Smart Phones

• 4 months later...

As a Technical consultant I wondered the same thing. I’ve always used an iPhone but recently got an Android. Here are my personal thoughts. 

Androids can be cheaper than iPhones (good ones like Samsung though are about the same)

some androids can use SD cards to add memory. iPhones can’t. 

Android phones you can save ringtones directly instead of the syncing needed on iPhones. 

some apps on Android are free where they are not in iPhone. 

Android is an open operating system (but that also opens you up to more malware than iPhone as well)

ive listed. Few of the things I’ve learned from testing out Androids. These things were not enough to make me switch. I find it easier to use an iPhone since I’ve always used one. Neither is better in general, you really need to compare specific phones. I recently saw a report comparing the Samsung Galaxy S3 (old phone) to the iPhone 5 (old phone). At the time they were the top phones. The iPhone won every test except one. 

Greetings to you my brother,

I have had both Android and I Phones.  In my experience, I have had fewer issues with the iPhones then I ever had with an Android.  For me, (and my wife) the problems with Android phones always seemed to be that the batteries were subject to premature discharge.   From what my son (who is a computer geek told me) the Android phones were more prone to continually have programs running in the background that ate up battery life.  I've had my iPhone 6 now for 2 years with never an issue.  Battery still can go a day without recharging, and I use the phone frequently throughout the day.

In solidarity

Rev. Calli 

On 9/17/2017 at 5:30 AM, Claus said:

[...] I find it easier to use an iPhone since I’ve always used one. Neither is better in general, you really need to compare specific phones. I recently saw a report comparing the Samsung Galaxy S3 (old phone) to the iPhone 5 (old phone). At the time they were the top phones. The iPhone won every test except one. 

The ISO 9126 norm helps to "prioritise" you "non-functionals" (as basically all functions are more-or-less the same).

If we take a look at the "high-level" list of "non-functionals" we can decide what is "better for us" (as opposed to "better in general). I will add my own personal preference as an example:

Functionality - as an Apple-fan since 1984 (pun not intended) I find Apple products to be easier to operate;

Reliability - off-course all "high-end" phones are more or less of the same reliable quality so a "non-issue" (as long as you compare the same price-ranges);

Usability - as said with functionality, I - personally- find Apple phones easier to operate, but they are also more usable for me as the synch automatically with my iMac, iPad, Apple TV, airport extreme, icloud et cetera. I know Android/Windows/Linux does this too, but it takes a lot more setting up to do where Apple "just" takes care of it, right out of the box...

Efficiency -  The previous point makes Apple a lot more efficient for me too; it just works (straight out of the box) and it keeps working; if I get an important request while "on the road" I don't have to take out my laptop but "just" go through my iPhone and have all the same documents available at my fingertips;

Maintainability - Apple takes care of this for me too (and I don't mind paying for it) so I only have to take care of the periodical updates and "all is fine". Apple does this a lot longer than Android too (which you can see in the HUGE amaount of Android phones with outdates software which makes them unusable and unsafe);

Portability - Which obviously is managed by apple too. I can work at my home computer on something and present it at a clients office from my iPad. And also the one time my macbook and ipad got stolen from my rental car while on a business trip all I had to do was buy a new device locally and turn it on connecting it to the interwebs and everything got restored (again, I know this can be set up on other OS's too, but that takes a lot more time... this "just works" by entering your AppleID.

Remember, these are my own preferences for these non-functionals. People can have totally different preferences and (time) priorities....