Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ULCneo

Altert to potentially suspicious activity

20 posts in this topic

It has come to my attention that in the early morning hours of the CST time zone on May 09 the forum started behaving erratically. The initial behavior was that my login credentials returned as unauthorized. My then local browser returned  a 503 response, despite being able to proxy into the forum via Tor, independent verification via the MX webtool kit also reports a 200 status, though portions of the forum still get a 503.  Just wondering if anyone else is seeing anything similar.

Posted (edited)

I've had very similar problems. About 2-3 days ago. I started having similar trouble. I started getting the Error 403: Forbidden message anytime I tried to post. Then the site would stop responding and kick me out entirely. When I try to access the website after that, it times out and won't open at all. The only way I can get in is when I'm on a wifi that Ive not used before. I can get in, make one or two posts, and then it starts all over again. Once I lose access to the site on a network. I can't get it back til I move to a new one. Very weird.

Edited by Ex Nihilo

My phone had the 503 errors. Deleting ALL the browner data fixed it. It wasn't enough to just delete the cookies. My laptop has been unable to get a response from ulc.net for over a week. Nothing I have tried has worked, although I am less willing to go to drastic measures with that one, since it has my virtual rolodex and I am a bit ashamed to admit It, but I only know a couple of my passwords....

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Ex Nihilo said:

I've had very similar problems. About 2-3 days ago. I started having similar trouble. I started getting the Error 403: Forbidden message anytime I tried to post. Then the site would stop responding and kick me out entirely. When I try to access the website after that, it times out and won't open at all. The only way I can get in is when I'm on a wifi that Ive not used before. I can get in, make one or two posts, and then it starts all over again. Once I lose access to the site on a network. I can't get it back til I move to a new one. Very weird.

This is exactly what I was seeing before I started getting the 503s - Tor seems to fix it (Tor essentially gives you a new IP every time you run it's specialized browser.)  http://torproject.org the 403 responses  are particularly interesting.

Edited by ULCneo

I was having the same issue as well. I'm still getting 503 messages when I try to send the same message that wasn't working before. I can only connect using other people's wifi or my ISP's public wifi. Seems my IP is permanently blocked.

Looks like the Seminary site is doing the exact same thing. And it's not just limited to the forums. The entire domain of ulc.net and ulcseminary.org is timing out for me. ulchq.com is working though.

Is the universe trying to tell us something??

I can tell you that we are having some issues with the webhost.  From what I'm being told it's affecting a lot of servers situated on the west coast.

Kevin is still working with them for a more permanent resolution.

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. 

Thanks for the convenience. The site runs much better than if I had to keep it up...

Test post from laptop.

Second attempt yielded 403 error. Improvement over session timeouts.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:18 PM, Rev Schofield said:

I was having the same issue as well. I'm still getting 503 messages when I try to send the same message that wasn't working before. I can only connect using other people's wifi or my ISP's public wifi. Seems my IP is permanently blocked.

If your IP was blocked you wouldn't get a 503- you'd get a 300 series error.

10 hours ago, murphzlaw1 said:

I can tell you that we are having some issues with the webhost.  From what I'm being told it's affecting a lot of servers situated on the west coast.

Kevin is still working with them for a more permanent resolution.

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. 

Good to know this because of the fact that a 300 series error right before a string of apparent 503 responses is a potential sign of session hijacking, which in turn can allow someone to insert themselves into the SQL database. I was just a bit worried about this as a possibility but it seems like others have seen similar behavior that would make it more of a site malfunction, in which case I'm not really worried about the inconvenience so much. personally.

Anyone know how this is going? I was getting 503 errors but switching my post fixed that. But now I am getting a timeout whenever I try to access the site from my home network, so I can never access the site from home.

It eventually cleared up for me...knock on wood.

Lucky you! Do you know if the lease for your IP was renewed? I'm thinking I might have to wait for that.

I know literally nothing about computers so I dont know what an IP is or if it was renewed. Sorry. Im a technological troglodyte.

Ha, no problem at all. Good thing it started working for you though. Hopefully that luck is contagious! :)

Posted (edited)

Looks like I'm back up. My IP address renewed through my ISP. So for anyone still having this issue, you'll want to log into your router, renew your ISP IP address, and make sure it's changed over. If not, you probably need to call the ISP and ask them to release your IP for you. Sometimes the IP address lease time is strict so you don't get a new one even if you release/renew.

Edited by Rev Schofield

Greetings to you all my sisters and brothers,

I first noticed the forum having issues late last week.  I had texted Murph and he said Kevin was aware of the problem and was working to resolve it.  Tonight was the first time I have actually been able to get back onto the forum, and everything seems to be working fine now. 

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli