Prayers & Blessings

I am a member of The Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. And therefore am a Pagan. I have been writing in a journal various prayers and blessings. While most are Celtic in origin, I have a few viking and buddhist prayers as well. All or most I have found on social media. My mother and father are members of the Lutheran faith. To honor my father who passed on July 19, 2010, I have so far transcribed The Nicene Creed as taught by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. And I will be transcribing The Apostles' Creed as well. And I got to wondering if my fellow ministers have any favorite prayers or blessings that are regularly used in their services. Prayers, blessings, and scripture. And I thank you in advance.

I practice Hellenic polytheism, and while I don't hold public services or ministry, I do routinely perform rituals of the domestic household cult.  At the beginning of my daily offerings to the household gods, I recite the two Homeric Hymns to Hestia.  The first is:

Hestia, you tend the sacred dwelling

of the far-shooting lord, Apollon, at holy Pytho,

as from your tresses flowing oil ever drips down.

Come to this house!  Come in gentle spirit

with resourceful Zeus and give grace to my song!

The second hymn includes a prayer to Hermes as well:

Hestia, in the lofty dwelling of all,

both of immortal gods and of men who walk on the earth,

you have gained an eternal abode and the highest honor,

together with a fair and honorific prize: for without you

there can be no feasts for mortals, if at the beginning

yours is not the first and last libation of honey-sweet wine.

And you, Argeiphontes, son of Zeus and Maia,

messenger of the blessed gods, golden-staffed giver of things good,

dwell with Hestia in beautiful houses, with loving hearts.

Be favorable and help, both you, and reverend and dear

Hestia.  Since both of you know the good works

of the men of this earth, accompany them with youthful mind.

Hail, O daughter of Kronos, both you and Hermes of the golden wand!

i got this one from pete.i use it at wedding receptions:

"may that which strengthens you sustain you.

may that which lights your way ever guide you.

may that which brings happiness be always with you.

and may love and peace never be a stranger to you."

the other one i use(mostly for a holiday meal):

my wish for you:

"where there is pain,i wish you peace and mercy.

where there is self-doubting,i wish you a renewed confidence in your ability to work through it.

where there is tiredness,or exhaustion,i wish you understanding,patience and renewed strength.

where there is fear,i wish you love and courage."

(this was given to me by a friend before he died.he only heard me use it once).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 10:12 PM, Taliesin2 said:

I am a member of The Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. And therefore am a Pagan. I have been writing in a journal various prayers and blessings. While most are Celtic in origin, I have a few viking and buddhist prayers as well. All or most I have found on social media. My mother and father are members of the Lutheran faith. To honor my father who passed on July 19, 2010, I have so far transcribed The Nicene Creed as taught by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. And I will be transcribing The Apostles' Creed as well. And I got to wondering if my fellow ministers have any favorite prayers or blessings that are regularly used in their services. Prayers, blessings, and scripture. And I thank you in advance.

Greetings to you my brother,

When I first entered the ministry some 25 years ago now, I came up with this prayer that I use for the sick,

Creator God, father and mother to us all, source of life and love and all good things, be with our brother/sister now in their time of trial and need.  Comfort them with your presence, and offer them healing of body and peace of soul.  Help them to know that you are always with them, and will never desert them.  All these things we ask in the name of Jesus, our risen Savior and Redeemer.  Amen.

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

2 hours ago, Rev. Calli said:

Greetings to you my brother,

When I first entered the ministry some 25 years ago now, I came up with this prayer that I use for the sick,

Creator God, father and mother to us all, source of life and love and all good things, be with our brother/sister now in their time of trial and need.  Comfort them with your presence, and offer them healing of body and peace of soul.  Help them to know that you are always with them, and will never desert them.  All these things we ask in the name of Jesus, our risen Savior and Redeemer.  Amen.

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli

Thank you. That is very beautiful. Blessings!

• Like 1