A strange collection of deities and wights...Help?

Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie, so please pardon any faux pas I may commit. This seemed like the best place to ask for guidance- from my fellow pagan clergy members. :)

I have been a witch for my entire life, despite having been raised (loosely) as a Protestant Christian. I seem to be adopted by different Beings, from time to time, and have run into some perplexing things. When I was in my early 20's, for example, a male Being would show Himself in my dreams, when something bad was about to happen at work, particularly if there was going to be some nasty backstabbing-type things going on. He is a big, African fellow, and He would be standing on a small hill, under a full moon, holding a large knife (like a machete) in His right hand, and a large snake in His left. He would then literally slice the snake, from the beginning of its neck, down to its tail, in one movement- like He was filleting it. Very iconic, right? I would awaken in the morning knowing to watch my back...He was NEVER wrong. I don't know who He is, but I honor Him still, even though He hasn't shown up in a LOT of years- but then, my life situation and day-job are quite different in nature than they were, back then, LOL. I still don't have the slightest why He chose to do this, or to present Himself in that way. I'm grateful, though.

Recently, we've had a fox spirit in the house- by this, I mean it looks like a real, actual fox. It was annoying our dog and cats, but it stopped, after I asked it not to do that. This was followed by the girl-spirit who ALSO showed up in the house, right after. I can't see her, but my son can- and he says that she appears to an Asian child, small, and slightly mischievious. I've since decided that, for whatever reason, this may have something to do with Imari...although why She would be "knocking" on my door is beyond me. I've begun to honor Her in my haphazard way, and She doesn't seem to be causing trouble or to be irritated with me. So, that part has been working out well. My altar is large- and there's always room for more.

I give you these stories as examples of how these things happen, in my family's life. Much of our "extended family" isn't even related to us by blood ties- we "adopt" aunt and uncles and cousins!- so it seems perfectly natural that my Deities would arrive in a similar fashion. ;)

So on to today. This morning, at 4:11 AM, I woke from what seemed to be a solid sleep. I don't recall any dreams or dreaming- but I did hear a Voice. She said, and I quote: "Child, you do realize that I am not always kind?" This last was delivered with a Voice that sounded...older. Wise. With a dry sense of humor, a kind of dry wit.

Boy, did I wake up FAST! I don't recall making any deals with any Beings recently, or asking for any favors- in fact, I know that I haven't. Hearing a statement like that one, delivered the way it was? It was a bit...disturbing. Not scary, exactly, but I woke up with the gears turning at high speed! Gotta say, though, that it didn't frighten me so much that I couldn't go back to sleep. ;) There were no negative presences in the room, no problems at all...just that enigmatic message.

Folks, can you help me out here? I have zero idea who She is. I've been studying Bride (Brigantia/Brigid), but this doesn't really seem to fit Her profile. (I could be totally wrong, though- I am studying, not an expert, LOL!) Been hearing about the Morrigan and Freya lately, a lot, but neither feels quite...right. I'd also be interested whether anyone else knows who my Friend the Snake-Splitter is, or our Fox Girl. 

Thank you for reading this rambling post. And thanks, in advance, to anyone who will share their opinions on this! Any and all input is welcome. :) 

Blessings from my Hearth to yours!

Edited by the Hearthwitch
spelling error

if i remember correctly(and i am not pagan)you have the child,the maiden and the crone?could it be that the child is talking to you as the crone?

just keep in mind i am a buddhist,and do not believe such things,but sometimes don't hold my opinions.

I don't recall a fox being represented as a deity of sorts but I haven't dug very deep in that pantheon.

I did find this that might help you though the celtic specific part is a few articles down: 

https://starcounsell.wordpress.com/for-the-love-of-foxes-myths-stories-vibrational-essences-fox-spirits-archetypes-copyright-to-dr-hilary-bond-all-rights-reserved/

Edited by AmberLF

Thank you, AmberLF- I really appreciate this, a LOT. 

Usually, I have a clue as to Who is giving me a time of it- this is...different.

OH! Just read the Celtic part of it! Oh, wow! That might be part of it- thanks! I wasn't a student of the Celtic tradition until just recently, but that part rings true, in a big way.

Edited by the Hearthwitch

It would be more maiden, mother, crone, but yes, there are  a few deities that are said hold those aspects across several pantheons.

It's possible these things are not related aside from being yours in experience. Your african fellow, as you described, is tickling my memory about something more specific, a ritual of sorts, but I can't put my finger on it. Look into Vodou spirits and deities. Pantheons can and do cross over from time to time. You don't have to follow, just learn.

I think I posted to you elsewhere about the fox/child spirit with a link to an article. I can say the most common ones are out of the Chinese or Japanese Mythology. Again, don't have to follow but the more you learn about these things the easier time you have deciphering clues and hints and such like that.

I have to wonder if these incidents are unrelated apart from they are happening around you specifically. Are you wrestling with some ideas about your chosen goddess perhaps? Trying to decide on something going on in life and hoping she'll gently guide you through or even tell you what you should do?

It could also be part of the dreams that you can't recall, that little layover that sometimes stick with us when we wake but the dream is already fading or gone. Dreams are tricky that way and can take time to figure out sometimes. I find if I have a patch of troubling dreams to jot them down when I wake to help me not only remember them easier but also to work out the ones I'm stumped on by comparing it with whats going on in my life. Sometimes it simply is just working those things out in a more imaginative dream state.

Anyway, that might get you started in figuring this out. Hope it helps.

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2017 at 5:01 PM, the Hearthwitch said:

Hi, everyone! I'm a newbie, so please pardon any faux pas I may commit. This seemed like the best place to ask for guidance- from my fellow pagan clergy members. :)

I have been a witch for my entire life, despite having been raised (loosely) as a Protestant Christian. I seem to be adopted by different Beings, from time to time, and have run into some perplexing things. When I was in my early 20's, for example, a male Being would show Himself in my dreams, when something bad was about to happen at work, particularly if there was going to be some nasty backstabbing-type things going on. He is a big, African fellow, and He would be standing on a small hill, under a full moon, holding a large knife (like a machete) in His right hand, and a large snake in His left. He would then literally slice the snake, from the beginning of its neck, down to its tail, in one movement- like He was filleting it. Very iconic, right? I would awaken in the morning knowing to watch my back...He was NEVER wrong. I don't know who He is, but I honor Him still, even though He hasn't shown up in a LOT of years- but then, my life situation and day-job are quite different in nature than they were, back then, LOL. I still don't have the slightest why He chose to do this, or to present Himself in that way. I'm grateful, though.

Recently, we've had a fox spirit in the house- by this, I mean it looks like a real, actual fox. It was annoying our dog and cats, but it stopped, after I asked it not to do that. This was followed by the girl-spirit who ALSO showed up in the house, right after. I can't see her, but my son can- and he says that she appears to an Asian child, small, and slightly mischievious. I've since decided that, for whatever reason, this may have something to do with Imari...although why She would be "knocking" on my door is beyond me. I've begun to honor Her in my haphazard way, and She doesn't seem to be causing trouble or to be irritated with me. So, that part has been working out well. My altar is large- and there's always room for more.

I give you these stories as examples of how these things happen, in my family's life. Much of our "extended family" isn't even related to us by blood ties- we "adopt" aunt and uncles and cousins!- so it seems perfectly natural that my Deities would arrive in a similar fashion. ;)

So on to today. This morning, at 4:11 AM, I woke from what seemed to be a solid sleep. I don't recall any dreams or dreaming- but I did hear a Voice. She said, and I quote: "Child, you do realize that I am not always kind?" This last was delivered with a Voice that sounded...older. Wise. With a dry sense of humor, a kind of dry wit.

Boy, did I wake up FAST! I don't recall making any deals with any Beings recently, or asking for any favors- in fact, I know that I haven't. Hearing a statement like that one, delivered the way it was? It was a bit...disturbing. Not scary, exactly, but I woke up with the gears turning at high speed! Gotta say, though, that it didn't frighten me so much that I couldn't go back to sleep. ;) There were no negative presences in the room, no problems at all...just that enigmatic message.

Folks, can you help me out here? I have zero idea who She is. I've been studying Bride (Brigantia/Brigid), but this doesn't really seem to fit Her profile. (I could be totally wrong, though- I am studying, not an expert, LOL!) Been hearing about the Morrigan and Freya lately, a lot, but neither feels quite...right. I'd also be interested whether anyone else knows who my Friend the Snake-Splitter is, or our Fox Girl. 

Thank you for reading this rambling post. And thanks, in advance, to anyone who will share their opinions on this! Any and all input is welcome. :) 

Blessings from my Hearth to yours!

I hope I'm not mangling the pantheons.  I want to say, Hecate, in her form as the Crone.  She is associated with vengeance and the cross roads.  As the Crone, she is wise and a healer.  Also fierce.

Yes.  Complicated.  The old gods could be.  

:mellow:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
13 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I hope I'm not mangling the pantheons.  I want to say, Hecate, in her form as the Crone.  She is associated with vengeance and the cross roads.  As the Crone, she is wise and a healer.  

Yes.  Complicated.  The old gods could be.  

:mellow:

There's no ancient source for Hekate as a crone goddess.  In fact, the entire maiden, mother, and crone three-in-one goddess concept seems to have its origins in the 20th century.

13 minutes ago, LeopardBoy said:

There's no ancient source for Hekate as a crone goddess.  In fact, the entire maiden, mother, and crone three-in-one goddess concept seems to have its origins in the 20th century.

I have no problem with being told I have the wrong name.  Still, my gut is telling me "Crone."    Well, ancient.

Sekhmet?  A killer and a healer.  Very ancient.  The lion headed goddess.  On her statues, there is a serpent rising from her third eye.  A Sun disc (halo) is behind her head.  

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
13 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

Actually a little earlier than that but yes, true. The thing with Hekate is that perceptions of her have changed depending on what era you are looking at.  The vengeance part was also added later. However the funny thing about many gods is that no matter which one people choose and tends the altars of, occasionally vengeance comes up. It doesn't necessarily make it a main trait, just that with many people part of the reason to worship would be for protection whichever deity they follow could provide them for their loyalty and worship... weather that's in the nature of the deity of choice or not... 

Edited by AmberLF
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, AmberLF said:

Actually a little earlier than that but yes, true. The thing with Hekate is that perceptions of her have changed depending on what era you are looking at.  The vengeance part was also added later. However the funny thing about many gods is that no matter which one people choose and tends the altars of, occasionally vengeance comes up. It doesn't necessarily make it a main trait, just that with many people part of the reason to worship would be for protection whichever deity they follow could provide them for their loyalty and worship... weather that's in the nature of the deity of choice or not... 

I take this as a perspective on motherhood.  For the children, a loving guardian.  The mother who purrs and snuggles and licks.    To the enemy, a source of terror, fang and claw.   

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, the Hearthwitch said:

Hi, guys! 

With the things I've been reading lately, I could see Hekate as being a possibility. I've wondered if maybe She's some other aspect of Inari, or Someone else. 

I still haven't figured this one out, but it's OK. The coolest part of getting older is, discovering that there's still so much to learn! :)

I think something was filtering through your awareness.  Whether it was internal or external, we will never know.  Another mystery.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, the Hearthwitch said:

Hi, guys! 

With the things I've been reading lately, I could see Hekate as being a possibility. I've wondered if maybe She's some other aspect of Inari, or Someone else. 

I still haven't figured this one out, but it's OK. The coolest part of getting older is, discovering that there's still so much to learn! :)

The one thing about all this is there is no quick fix or fast start. Take your time, enjoy the things you are learning. There are studies and research books on her that lay out the line of where she came from and comparing her to others along the way... how she was worshipped in different eras, etc. Go to Amazon and put her name in the search. Click on a book, scroll all the way down to the reviews and read both good and bad reviews. The longer the better so you can get a good idea of what it's about. I do this often with books and then call the local stores to see if they can order them for me. Most stores are happy to. I get my book and the store is supported so it can stay in business.

Edited by AmberLF
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I take this as a perspective on motherhood.  For the children, a loving guardian.  The mother who purrs and snuggles and licks.    To the enemy, a source of terror, fang and claw.   

Yes, it can be taken so. She was said to be very wise. Wise enough to have great power but know having it doesn't mean throwing it about. Most stories have her supporting rather than ruling with it though she easily could have.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, AmberLF said:

Yes, it can be taken so. She was said to be very wise. Wise enough to have great power but know having it doesn't mean throwing it about. Most stories have her supporting rather than ruling with it though she easily could have.

I have been strongly influenced by -- "When God was a Woman" -- by Merlin Stone.  People forget what the old goddesses were about about.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AmberLF said:

The one thing about all this is there is no quick fix or fast start. Take your time, enjoy the things you are learning. There are studies and research books on her that lay out the line of where she came from and comparing her to others along the way... how she was worshipped in different eras, etc. Go to Amazon and put her name in the search. Click on a book, scroll all the way down to the reviews and read both good and bad reviews. The longer the better so you can get a good idea of what it's about. I do this often with books and then call the local stores to see if they can order them for me. Most stores are happy to. I get my book and the store is supported so it can stay in business.

I do the same thing! I also get ahold of a lot of books through the public library- and make purchase requests with them, if a book is particulary promising. 

• 4 months later...