Interesting survey in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39153121

The survey suggested:

• 17% of all people believe the Bible version word-for-word
  • 31% of Christians believe word-for-word the Bible version, rising to 57% among "active" Christians (those who go to a religious service at least once a month)
  • Exactly half of all people surveyed did not believe in the resurrection at all
  • 46% of people say they believe in some form of life after death and 46% do not
  • 20% of non-religious people say they believe in some form of life after death
  • 9% of non-religious people believe in the Resurrection, 1% of whom say they believe it literally
Edited by Pete

Lots of partial believers I guess... Or "I believe this, but ain't sure about that" type of people.. I'm among the 31% who believe the bible word for word, so I'm all in.. I can't fathom a Christian not believing in the resurrection, its the ultimate validation that Christ was and is exactly who he proclaimed himself to be.. I wouldn't classify them as 'Christian' if they deny the resurrection. You either believe it or you don't, there can't be any wishy-washy middle ground.. If a person can't accept that Christ rose from the dead, what possible hope do they hold for themselves? "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth" (Revelation 3:16)

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Very likely Jonathan.  I saw on a documentary of an atheist church run like a traditional Christian episcopalian church. They just like the atmosphere. 

Atmosphere is part of it.  Going to services is a social outlet.  Even as you say, an Atheist church.

I suspect that there is something deeper going on.  It is difficult to come out of the Atheist closet.  Even in a place like New York City which is largely a secular place.  It's hard to say what the pressure is or where it comes from.  There is a social stigma.  Like being a lawyer or a sex worker.  I know.  It's silly, but there is an odd vibration in the background.  The elephant in the room that nobody wants to admit is there.

It also depends on the survey.  In some surveys, the NONEs are taking over and religion is on it's way out.  There are other surveys that say that Islam is gaining ground and will be be dominant world religion in 2040.  Other surveys say that the Mormons are the fastest growing church.  I don't trust any of it.  So much feeds into pure confirmation bias.

In general, these religion surveys fall into traps.  They ask people if they believe in God.  They don't focus on the meaning of "God" or "belief."  They ask how often people pray.  They don't define prayer.  They ask if people self identify as "Christian."  They don't define Christian.

Seriously.  What is a Christian?  People use that term who think that Jesus was nothing more than a great philosopher.  There are other people who claim the label of Christian; because they see themselves as being a good person and give it no deeper thought.  There are other "Christians" who were baptised as infants, entered into church rolls -- and have not been to church since.  On this board alone, we have both Dan and Rev. Cali.  Very different interpretations.  

What is a NONE?  A serious Atheist or Agnostic?  Maybe someone who has no active afilliation?  They don't make a distinction.

There are other layers of confusion.  We have people who are deeply troubled and hate God -- who claim to be Atheists.  The surveys make no distinctions.

Certainly, they make no distinctions between Pagans, Neo-Pagans, Heathens, Classicalists, etc.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

On 4/10/2017 at 0:25 PM, Pete said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39153121

The survey suggested:

• 17% of all people believe the Bible version word-for-word
  • 31% of Christians believe word-for-word the Bible version, rising to 57% among "active" Christians (those who go to a religious service at least once a month)
  • Exactly half of all people surveyed did not believe in the resurrection at all
  • 46% of people say they believe in some form of life after death and 46% do not
  • 20% of non-religious people say they believe in some form of life after death
  • 9% of non-religious people believe in the Resurrection, 1% of whom say they believe it literally

Did this survey mention any of the joke or protest churches?  

The Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Purple Oyster of Doom?

Jediism?

The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

The Church of Google?

The Temple of Set?

The Church of Bacon?

The Church of Elvis?

The Church of Beer?

The Temple of Apathea?

Any of the others?

Unlike America, the UK actually has government recognition for favored religions.  The numbers actually have consequences.  They mean something for the "clergy."

Any mention of ULC?

Any mentions of Atheist, Agnostic, or Apatheist?

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

1 hour ago, RevRainbow said:

Perhaps it could also be self-deception.

When we can't admit, even to our selves, that we no longer believe?  Yes.  Of course, maintaining a false front will be stressful.  Living a lie -- an inauthentic life -- is doomed to be painful.

Of course, some of us -- they know who they are -- think that belief is a choice.