Rev. Calli

Are Christians really "Taking Over"

386 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, mererdog said:

Not really. I'm comfortable with not knowing. You?

It's not an issue in my life either.  

On the subject of Christians taking over:

There is an elephant in the room -- this forum -- that nobody has mentioned yet.  Somebody should state the obvious.

Even on this board, there are some Christian voices that are trying to silence everybody else.  Must I name them?  If they succeed, this board will go the way of other Interfaith forums, that were dominated by the intolerant and disrespectful.  It could happen.  People come here to have conversations and relax.  Not to defend the board.  

I think to take over they would need actual power over the forum, not just words which can be refuted.  Although they are making their presence known, that is a certainty.

5 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I think to take over they would need actual power over the forum, not just words which can be refuted.  Although they are making their presence known, that is a certainty.

I have seen other boards destroyed in this manner.  People do get disgusted and wander off.  

P.I.C.K.L.E. :paladin:

9 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I have seen other boards destroyed in this manner.  People do get disgusted and wander off.  

I've thought about leaving the forum a few times over the years, and once very recently.  It's not just fundamentalist Christians who contribute to my frustration here, but atheists as well, if not more so.  It seems like every topic winds up being a feces-flinging contest between "The True Believers" and the "The True Nonbelievers" who both identify and define religion and belief in the same way, and those of us who don't fit into either group end up still getting covered in the mess from both sides.

There's a lot I thought about contributing here.  I had a post planned about the Attic festival calendar I follow, and an explanation of how lunisolar calendars work, and a breakdown of monthly sacred days, how the Attic month is divided into ten-day groupings, etc.  I ultimately decided not to go forward with it, because what's the point?  What's the point in sharing anything about my beliefs in the current climate here?  What can a polytheist possibly contribute here when there's this underlying idea of Christianity being more "evolved" than the primitive religions that existed before, and atheism being further "evolved" still?  It might not be spoken aloud, but the idea is there in the haughty way both groups fling their barbs at each other.

I'm tired of pointing out that all who believe don't all believe the same thing, or have the same worldview.  I'm tired of saying that seeing value in myth doesn't mean a rejection of science.  I'm tired of being on the defensive from stray attacks by both sides who can't see anything other than making another jab at a perceived enemy.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

What's the point in sharing anything about my beliefs in the current climate here?  

The climate will change over time but the words you contribute will remain, accessible by anyone in the world via Google search, or the like. The majority of people who visit the forum do not post, meaning that you can have more positive impact with your contributions than the responses indicate.

But I suppose whether or not you think it is worth doing depends on what you need to think you're going to get out of it. So what are your motives for posting? When you have posted in the past (here, or elsewhere) what has made you think it is worth the time?

Please bear in mind that the climate of the forum is as much about what doesn't get said as it is about what does gat said. If no one posts anything "positive," the climate will inevitably be "negative." To me, this means that discouraging the "negative" can never be as good for the forum as encouraging the "positive." Hopefully, you see this post in the light?

Edited by mererdog

13 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I've seen this too. I've been on and off a lot of different boards over the years, though admittedly mostly pagan or interfaith related. It seems to come down to people either being too afraid to post for not wanting a fight, or people agreeing so much that posting isn't even necessary anymore. Either way people start wandering away and we see posts only by those who enjoy the arguing. I can remember one years ago where the guy left standing just wanted control and power. He just wanted to be seen as right.  I'm not even sure that site is up anymore but it stood out as the worst case in my mind.

4 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

I've thought about leaving the forum a few times over the years, and once very recently.  It's not just fundamentalist Christians who contribute to my frustration here, but atheists as well, if not more so.  It seems like every topic winds up being a feces-flinging contest between "The True Believers" and the "The True Nonbelievers" who both identify and define religion and belief in the same way, and those of us who don't fit into either group end up still getting covered in the mess from both sides.

There's a lot I thought about contributing here.  I had a post planned about the Attic festival calendar I follow, and an explanation of how lunisolar calendars work, and a breakdown of monthly sacred days, how the Attic month is divided into ten-day groupings, etc.  I ultimately decided not to go forward with it, because what's the point?  What's the point in sharing anything about my beliefs in the current climate here?  What can a polytheist possibly contribute here when there's this underlying idea of Christianity being more "evolved" than the primitive religions that existed before, and atheism being further "evolved" still?  It might not be spoken aloud, but the idea is there in the haughty way both groups fling their barbs at each other.

I'm tired of pointing out that all who believe don't all believe the same thing, or have the same worldview.  I'm tired of saying that seeing value in myth doesn't mean a rejection of science.  I'm tired of being on the defensive from stray attacks by both sides who can't see anything other than making another jab at a perceived enemy.

For what ever it's worth, I can appreciate that experience.  I have had to leave a few Atheist groups on Facebook.  I said "Agnostic" in the "Atheist" groups and found myself in their crap-storm.  It's been a steep learning curve.  I have learned a few harsh lessons about the need for moderation.  In the near future, I expect these lessons will be apparent.

This group needs more Polytheists to break up the dichotomy.  Not fewer.  Your departure would be a sad loss for the board.

I think each of us are flawed individuals.  I strive to uphold some of the ideas of stoicism, but I know that I fail on a regular basis.  One of the big ones is realization that we have limited control of anything other than our own responses to things that happen.  Still, even knowing this is the truth, I find myself reacting instead of responding to people on here from time to time.  Maybe it's something that hits me wrong, usually it's something that hits me wrong really.  But it isn't the stimulus that causes my reaction, it's my failing to take the time to cool my impulse before responding to something.  

One of the things that really sets me off and shouldn't(it is my fault) is a Christian response to just about anything :)  I find most of the ideology to be flawed, and feel like there should be something to do about it.  The only action I can really take is spreading my ideas about it, and usually that gets a response from the Christian side, and sometimes that response triggers me?  I don't know how to explain it perfectly, so bear with me.  

There are people I respect on this forum.  I know, I should respect everyone, but to be honest I don't.  But even the people I respect occasionally have felt the barb of my tongue, so to speak, and should not have.  There are those I have very limited respect for, who's ideas I don't consider sound but at least they present them in a respectable fashion.  There are those I have no respect for, who's ideas are apparently the only right way to think and anything else is simply wrong.  There are those who continually misunderstand, to the point where it seems to me to be intentional in an attempt to satisfy some unknown need on their end.  There are a few people on here that I really respect...and they are the ones who can usually get to me the fastest because I find myself caring what they think :)  Lately I would like to think I have done better, I have tried to take a minute before responding, a minute to just breathe and think things through, and try to live up to my own ideal self.  The biggest thing is courtesy in disagreement, I think.  I have been less than courteous at times, and I regret that in so far as I understand I have failed at my own principle and need to try harder.  

All that can really be said about it, I think, is summed up in the first paragraph there.  I am flawed, and sometimes don't do what I know to be right because of emotional impairment.  So, from my end of things, I apologize if I have made anyone feel unwelcome on this forum.  

18 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

Greetings to you my brother,

Personally, I would love to see your post.  I come here primarily to be exposed to new thoughts,  It's not that I would agree with them, but they do make me challenge my own beliefs.  

Faith without questioning is not faith, but superstition.

In solidarity,

Rev. Calli