Enemies

mererdog

On 10/28/2017 at 7:26 AM, cuchulain said:

you are out of your depth on this one, but i will bite. what law school did you attend?

Had a few friends that are attorneys that taught me the down and dirties of practicing law that they DON'T teach in law schools. When I found out how dirty the profession really was, I passed on studying it as a full-time profession. But, like i said, its a "look it up" kind of thing on that- Most of what law schools teach these days is total Bull.

Edited by ULCneo

7 hours ago, ULCneo said:

Had a few friends that are attorneys that taught me the down and dirties of practicing law that they DON'T teach in law schools. When I found out how dirty the profession really was, I passed on studying it as a full-time profession. But, like i said, its a "look it up" kind of thing on that- Most of what law schools teach these days is total Bull.

giving free legal advice as a non attourney is a bad idea. thats extremely basic law.  i simply dont believe you about your friends.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2017 at 9:34 AM, mererdog said:

My opinions on this subject are inextricably linked to my pacifism, so I suppose I should start there...

First, it is important to understand that I did not decide to become a pacifist. I was not persuaded to the position by evidence or argument. I simply came to a point where I had to acknowledge a truth about myself, namely that whenever I intentionally try to harm someone I end up feeling guilty about it. Unraveling the is/ought knot in the back of my head, I realized that, regardless of what reason might tell me I should believe, I was handicapping myself if I failed to be honest about what I actually believed. And my reactions make it clear that I believe violence to be unjustifiable.

On the one hand, my pacifism prevents me from being anyone's enemy, because there is no one I really wish to harm. On the other hand, my pacifism limits my problem-solving options when dealing with those who would act as my enemy. It isn't that I love my enemy, just that I want to keep my commitment to do only right, even if everyone else seems to be doing wrong.

So that's basically where I am on the subject. I have no scripture that I fall back on and no authority I look to for guidance. I'm just trying to use my conscience as a guide. But we all do things differently, which brings me to some questions for everyone....

How do you handle enemies? Why do you do that? Do you think it is the right way to do it? Have you given it much thought?

Enemies begin through difference of opinion, does it not?

9 hours ago, scottedward said:

Enemies begin through difference of opinion, does it not?

Sometimes.

Often, it begins with competition for limited resources. You know... two guys fighting over the same girl... that sort if thing?

Often, it begins with a base prejudice of the "He looks like a punk" variety.

Often, it starts with an inherited grudge, because someone's grandfather did something to someone else's grandfather.