Why does God allow Children to Suffer and Die ?

On 2/3/2017 at 9:47 AM, Gnostic Bishop said:

Why nor what makes you doubt that your will is yours to freely use?

If you suspect at all that your will is not freely your own, then what entity do you think might be controlling your will?

Regards

DL

No entity at all.  Temporal mechanics.  If the future is as fixed as the past, there is no changing things.  I don't know that this is the case.  I don't know that this is not the case.

When you insist on talking about "entity" or "control" -- you demonstrate that you don't know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if gravity was ever regarded as an entity?  I know the sun was.  And the moon.  Religion, it just doesn't seem to have a good track record with describing entities, does it? I am unaware of any time when science regarded anything as a supernatural styled entity, even acknowledging that supernatural is a misnomer.  But at the least, if scientists ever did determine anything of the sort using the scientific method, I am fairly certain it has since been debunked.  

What is accepted science has a propensity to be tested and confirmed and changed when found to be in error. 

What is accepted religion has a propensity to be fought for, argued for, and vehemently adhered to...even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

4 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I wonder if gravity was ever regarded as an entity?  I know the sun was.  And the moon.  Religion, it just doesn't seem to have a good track record with describing entities, does it? I am unaware of any time when science regarded anything as a supernatural styled entity, even acknowledging that supernatural is a misnomer.  But at the least, if scientists ever did determine anything of the sort using the scientific method, I am fairly certain it has since been debunked.  

What is accepted science has a propensity to be tested and confirmed and changed when found to be in error. 

What is accepted religion has a propensity to be fought for, argued for, and vehemently adhered to...even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

If you want a personification of gravity, it should be easy enough.

Start with a name.  Maybe, Gravitas?

Gravitas should be short and wide.  Like a Dwarf from classic Norse mythology.  That fits.  The source of gravity is clearly under the ground, deep in the Dwarven caverns.

Of course, Gravitas is of a lawful alignment, since gravity is ever present and consistent.

There we have it.  The foundation for a new mythology.

47 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

If you want a personification of gravity, it should be easy enough.

Start with a name.  Maybe, Gravitas?

Gravitas should be short and wide.  Like a Dwarf from classic Norse mythology.  That fits.  The source of gravity is clearly under the ground, deep in the Dwarven caverns.

Of course, Gravitas is of a lawful alignment, since gravity is ever present and consistent.

There we have it.  The foundation for a new mythology.

In another thread, you questioned binging up G/god and mythology with the quantum world and you have just shown why it is linked.

1 hour ago, Brother Kaman said:

In another thread, you questioned binging up G/god and mythology with the quantum world and you have just shown why it is linked.

Do you mean God as personification?  I think that YHVH has few followers, who know what a personification is.

21 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

No entity at all.  Temporal mechanics.  If the future is as fixed as the past, there is no changing things.  I don't know that this is the case.  I don't know that this is not the case.

When you insist on talking about "entity" or "control" -- you demonstrate that you don't know what I'm talking about.

How can the future be fixed when it has yet to happen?

Sure, entropy and the anthropic principle forces certain probabilities, but that goes right down to the sub atomic levels and with all the human minds creating change there, we can know that the future is not fixed.

If you would have taken my little test, it would have been me moving sub atomic particles in your fingers and keyboard from a distance and that means that we live in a chaotic universe and would show that we can manipulate the future by our actions.

That tells me that the future is not fixed. 

Regards
DL

16 minutes ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

How can the future be fixed when it has yet to happen?

Sure, entropy and the anthropic principle forces certain probabilities, but that goes right down to the sub atomic levels and with all the human minds creating change there, we can know that the future is not fixed.

If you would have taken my little test, it would have been me moving sub atomic particles in your fingers and keyboard from a distance and that means that we live in a chaotic universe and would show that we can manipulate the future by our actions.

That tells me that the future is not fixed. 

Regards
DL

People in our past think that their future is not fixed.  There may be a future past which has already happened -- but not yet.

I said may.  I won't pretend I understand the physics of time.  Einstein has demonstrated that time is more complicated and subtle than we thought.

8 hours ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

The only certainty of time is that it flows from past to future. We cannot ignore entropy or the anthropic principle.

So says Hawkins in his book, A brief history of time.

Regards
DL

We also know from Einstein that the flow of time -- if it can be said to flow -- is not uniform in it's passing;  as originally thought.  Time is relative, based on the position of the observer.

Let us say that it is proven, for now, that time only moves from past to future.  How do we know that the future does not already exist?  I'm not arguing.  I'm asking.

21 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

We also know from Einstein that the flow of time -- if it can be said to flow -- is not uniform in it's passing;  as originally thought.  Time is relative, based on the position of the observer.

Let us say that it is proven, for now, that time only moves from past to future.  How do we know that the future does not already exist?  I'm not arguing.  I'm asking.

I also agree with Einstein.

My best answer as to why the future cannot exist is that we have yet to do whatever we do there. Eh, then that is.

Whatever materials, let us say your car, is here now and not else-when. 

Today is your pasts future. Your past could not know that it might reply to this post.

Regards
DL

7 hours ago, Gnostic Bishop said:

My best answer as to why the future cannot exist is that we have yet to do whatever we do there. Eh, then that is.

Today is your pasts future. Your past could not know that it might reply to this post.

Regards
DL

Today is also my future's past.  My future self could be looking back and laughing at my illusions.  I don't know.  Neither do you.  Every moment in future and past will seem like the present.  Every moment is a present.  

When I was learning Reiki healing at a distance, I was taught that I was sending energy through space.  In the course of my training, I discovered that this was not the case at all.  I was over coming the illusion of space.  If space is illusory, it follows that time is illusory.  Or I might be lost in illusion.

We have been through this.  What exists outside of space/time?  Singularity.  Oneness.  Unity.  God.  Pick your word.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:35 PM, Gnostic Bishop said:

Regards
DL

An addendum to my previous response:

The ignorance of my past self, or my future self, or my present self, is not relevant.  At no point in the apparent continuum does my ignorance change anything.

On 2/9/2017 at 2:11 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

An addendum to my previous response:

The ignorance of my past self, or my future self, or my present self, is not relevant.  At no point in the apparent continuum does my ignorance change anything.

Exactly.... And that why people turn to religion.

2 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Exactly.... And that why people turn to religion.

What?  If I had said that people turn to religion out of ignorance, you would have said I was being intolerant and insensitive.  Possibly even rude.    Did you just take that position?  I was talking about ignorance.  What do you mean? -- . And that why people turn to religion.

:blink:

On 2/6/2017 at 0:35 PM, Gnostic Bishop said:

Regards
DL

I cannot say with certainty where my car is until I observe it. I can only make an educated guess based on the odds of it not being in the last place I left it.

9 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

What?  If I had said that people turn to religion out of ignorance, you would have said I was being intolerant and insensitive.  Possibly even rude.    Did you just take that position?  I was talking about ignorance.  What do you mean? -- . And that why people turn to religion.

:blink:

My point was that people are ignorant of their past, in the sense that they don't know how they got here (originated). They are ignorant of the present in the sense that they don't know why they are here (purpose). And they are ignorant of the future because they don't know what happens after they're gone (death). So you were right,  we have no real knowledge of the past, present, or future, and our ignorance limits us to a conundrum of confusion. My comment; "And that's why people turn to religion" was simply the suggestion that religion (a belief in God), answers those questions. Because as you stated; "At no point in the apparent continuum does my ignorance change anything". Exactly, which is why people often turn to and rely on religion to answer the assignment of time, it gives the allocation of past, present, and future, a purpose and meaning.

8 hours ago, Dan56 said:

My point was that people are ignorant of their past, in the sense that they don't know how they got here (originated). They are ignorant of the present in the sense that they don't know why they are here (purpose). And they are ignorant of the future because they don't know what happens after they're gone (death). So you were right,  we have no real knowledge of the past, present, or future, and our ignorance limits us to a conundrum of confusion. My comment; "And that's why people turn to religion" was simply the suggestion that religion (a belief in God), answers those questions. Because as you stated; "At no point in the apparent continuum does my ignorance change anything". Exactly, which is why people often turn to and rely on religion to answer the assignment of time, it gives the allocation of past, present, and future, a purpose and meaning.

Does it?