ULC mentioned on the sitcom THE REAL O'NEALS

Hello everyone,

I was watching the ABC sitcom THE REAL O'NEALS on demand. the episode that aired 12/13.They were announcing the winners of a multi-church Christmas choir contest where the main rivals were a Catholic and an Episcopalian church. At the end, the MC announced that the winner of the contest was The Universal Life Church. One of the main characters (a teenage gay Catholic) remarks something like, "Oh, we forgot about the gays!" I am gay myself, but I thought it was odd they identified the ULC as a gay church, especially since many Episcopalian churches are also gay friendly. But in any case, the mention of ULC caught my attention :)

Blessings,

Bleidd Mawr (Great Wolf)

4 hours ago, Bleidd Mawr said:

Hello everyone,

I was watching the ABC sitcom THE REAL O'NEALS on demand. the episode that aired 12/13.They were announcing the winners of a multi-church Christmas choir contest where the main rivals were a Catholic and an Episcopalian church. At the end, the MC announced that the winner of the contest was The Universal Life Church. One of the main characters (a teenage gay Catholic) remarks something like, "Oh, we forgot about the gays!" I am gay myself, but I thought it was odd they identified the ULC as a gay church, especially since many Episcopalian churches are also gay friendly. But in any case, the mention of ULC caught my attention :)

Blessings,

Bleidd Mawr (Great Wolf)

Greetings to you my brother,

Many denominations are GLBT friendly to varying degrees.  My own denomination, the United Methodists, has a great many congregations that belong to what we call the Reconciling movement., an organization within our denomination that has been fighting for years for the full inclusion, including ordination rights and the right to be married in our churches, for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters.    

Now strictly speaking, the ULC is to my knowledge the first church in America where the members of the GLBT community had never been excluded from full participation in the life of the church.  The first totally Christian denomination to do this is the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches, which was founded by and for members of the Gay, Lesbian and transgendered community, and has existed since (I believe) the late 1960's.  

In Christ's service,

Rev. Calli

On 12/15/2016 at 8:04 PM, Bleidd Mawr said:

Hello everyone,

Blessings,

Bleidd Mawr (Great Wolf)

The ULC does welcome everybody; no questions asked.  That does not make it a gay church.  For that matter, also not an Atheist church.  True universality with full equality seems to confuse people.