Sign in to follow this  
Youch

Chop Wood, Carry Water......

Recommended Posts

More completely, "Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.  After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water."

Thoughts?

 

Share this post


Link to post

"Before technology, chop wood and carry water.

After technology, adjust thermostat and open tap."

Technology:1 Enlightenment:0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mererdog said:

"Before technology, chop wood and carry water.

After technology, adjust thermostat and open tap."

Technology:1 Enlightenment:0

Things change.  Things don't change.

Now that technology is here --Do laundry.  Cook dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/5/2016 at 5:25 PM, Youch said:

More completely, "Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.  After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water."

Thoughts?

 

I think what this speaks to, is our silly invisible assumptions about enlightenment.

We gain enlightenment.  Sparkles fall from the sky.  The mundane drudgery of daily life dissolves in wonder and joy.

No.  After enlightenment; do laundry, cook dinner, wash dishes.   Life goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, cuchulain said:

awareness of zen seems almost to be a contradiction to me :)  Maybe not, though.

Yes.  It is.  Zen people thrive on contradiction.  As in the sound of one hand clapping.  Zen is the path, which is not a path.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

Yeah...I love zen.  Which is also a contradiction.

Not really.  For all the contradictions, it has a very human face.  My favorite zen quote is from a monk.  "I know that I'm already an enlightened master.  Why am I still miserable?"  That speaks to me.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/7/2016 at 11:36 AM, mererdog said:

"Before technology, chop wood and carry water.

After technology, adjust thermostat and open tap."

Technology:1 Enlightenment:0

An additional thought.

After technology, adjust thermostat, open tap, call plumber.       :lol:

Share this post


Link to post

Zen is largely anti-rational. The koans are designed to change the way people problem-solve, getting them to adopt a more intuitive and less thoughtful approach. Of course, Zen is also largely experiential, so those benefits are supposed to come as a result of rigorous meditation, with the koans acting as a sort of checksum to keep you on the right path. As such, the point is not to try to understand the meaning of the words, but to follow the words down the rabbit hole....  

At least, that is how it has been explained to me...

Edited by mererdog

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, mererdog said:

Zen is largely anti-rational. The koans are designed to change the way people problem-solve, getting them to adopt a more intuitive and less thoughtful approach. Of course, Zen is also largely experiential, so those benefits are supposed to come as a result of rigorous meditation, with the koans acting as a sort of checksum to keep you on the right path. As such, the point is not to try to understand the meaning of the words, but to follow the words down the rabbit hole....  

At least, that is how it has been explained to me...

Thx.

I find the quote to be, to/for me, a nice reminder to bring some important things into focus and proper perspective. Regardless of station or position, in the end life is broken down into simple acts. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this